Anyone know anywhere that sells... Watch

This discussion is closed.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
cheap sweets/chocolate/drinks ?

For our Young enterprise, we've decided to go for the easy option and sell sweets, chocolate and drinks in school.

So does anybody know a reasonable shop? Maybe somewhere that allows you to buy in bulk?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)

For our Young enterprise, we've decided to go for the easy option and sell sweets, chocolate and drinks in school.

So does anybody know a reasonable shop? Maybe somewhere that allows you to buy in bulk?
Try your local cash & carry.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't know if there's one anywhere near you, but Costco is a good bet - you need to become a member though.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You need to get an account and go to a wholesalers your teacher might be able to organise that for you.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Either that or go to lidls and get a load of generic imitation sweets (they sell peanut m&ms, mars bars etc etc for not a lot at all)
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Kwik Save.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't bother, we did that and we made about £5 profit form selling 48 bars of chocolate. And I can tell you right now that you will need to get a "buyer" and might need to reimburse that person for £5 delivery fee. Otherwise noone could be asked to go and buy the things.

Secret: Sell them to little people especially, they go down well. We sold about 5-6 boxes per day. And polos had the best profit margin. We sold 35p per bar. And we priced it so that we would undercut the school tuckshop.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The best places I know are Bestco (In East Manchester I think), Bookers (there is one in Ardwick on Hyde Road), Makro (On Irlam Road, Irlam).

There are a few others but can't think of their names. Also shops like Quality Save can work out just as cheap as cash and carries. They sell stuff like cans of Coca-Cola for 20p.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Secret: Sell them to little people especially, they go down well. We sold about 5-6 boxes per day. And polos had the best profit margin. We sold 35p per bar. And we priced it so that we would undercut the school tuckshop.
That gives me an idea.

Charge lower years to venture into the common room for use of the sweets machine.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Woolworths supermarkets here in Australia generally have a section where you can buy lollies in bulk. Well, as many as you can fit in each plastic bag, but they do weigh the bags. Do you have anything like that over there?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Woolworths supermarkets here in Australia generally have a section where you can buy lollies in bulk. Well, as many as you can fit in each plastic bag, but they do weigh the bags. Do you have anything like that over there?
We have something like that - big warehouses called cash-&-carrys, which you need to be a business owner to shop at, but you can buy all sorts of crap things in large amounts for low, low prices.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Quality Save/Home Bargains is the best bet. Or the £1 shops.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
We have something like that - big warehouses called cash-&-carrys, which you need to be a business owner to shop at, but you can buy all sorts of crap things in large amounts for low, low prices.
Boxes of chocolates and sweets...mmmmmm
ddan
Report 16 years ago

how abot a cash and carry sort of place that sells chocs sweets and everything
gemgems89
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
Don't know if there's one anywhere near you, but Costco is a good bet - you need to become a member though.
Oh yeh, we have that.

Hmm, we'll have to enquire.

Oh yeah! The £1 shops, of course! Thanks.

Well anyway, we are going to make a servey and see what people would like us to sell. I know we won't make much profit, but we really don't know what else to sell.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cash & carry is the best option, you might be able to find someone who has a card for one.

You can't only do that for YE! You should do something interesting as well.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh yeh, we have that.

Well anyway, we are going to make a servey and see what people would like us to sell. I know we won't make much profit, but we really don't know what else to sell.
Muffins from Costco sells like mad. You can make about £100 per day. The real big ones, buy for 50p sell for £1 to £2.

They really do sell like mad. Problem is the teacher will ban you from selling it as it is too unfair for the other teams. But you will have £300 start up capital at the end of the week for other projects.
ddan
Report 16 years ago
Oh yeh, we have that.

why dont u try and sell stationery things that ppl will want
gemgems89
Rep:
?
(Original post by ddan)
why dont u try and sell stationery things that ppl will want
Because, the school library are our competitors....they sell really cheap stationery, like rulers for 10p, we can't compete with that.

We are doing YE, but we are not. As we're doing DoE, we chose YE which was on the list. However, the only time we can take part with other teams is next year I think. And the DoE leader says we won't do the official thing, just in our own way. So we will just set up a business and everything but without competitors, makes it a lot easier really and it still qualifies for the skill in DoE.
ddan
Report 16 years ago
Because, the school library are our competitors....they sell really cheap stationery, like rulers for 10p, we can't compete with that.

We are doing YE, but we are not. As we're doing DoE, we chose YE which was on the list. However, the only time we can take part with other teams is next year I think. And the DoE leader says we won't do the official thing, just in our own way. So we will just set up a business and everything but without competitors, makes it a lot easier really and it still qualifies for the skill in DoE.
why dont u sell stuff that ppl will never buy like weird stuff or sumthing like that
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
33.33%
No (14)
58.33%
Don't know (2)
8.33%

Watched Threads