The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I dont know if those work but a few weeks before I did my driving test I took Kalms because I really stress out about those sort of things and I definitely felt calmer and not at all anxious. Though I'm not sure if they're really just a placebo... but I figured anything was worth a try and i did pass :smile:
Reply 2
I wouldn't take them before the exam, i don't feel anxious IN exams just while i'm trying to revise.. so I just wanted something to make me feel a bit better :smile: Thanks though
Reply 3
Nah they absolutely don't work... it's a type of homeopathy, which is to say a downright fraud.

kalms otoh contains measurable amounts of herbal extracts (valerian) though afaik the trials done to show effectiveness in relieving stress are inconclusive.

you can get the same herbal extracts for less money in Tesco herbal stress relief tablets.
Reply 4
i took some before my driving test and it seemed to calm me down :smile: some people think it's all psychological but if it works then it's worth it :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've had it before and it seemed to work but I think it's a placebo effect.
Saying that, surely it doesn't matter if it is a placebo, anxiety and nervousness is in the mind, so you have to think yourself better anyway.
It will make you feel better if you let it. It is essentially a placebo but who cares if it makes a difference? Anxiety is all in the mind anyway.

It helped me before my driving test. Recently I've had quite severe anxiety and things like that haven't been nearly so effective, annoying as I know my mum has a stash of diazepam somewhere but if she finds out I've been secretly taking valium she may just bust a nut so never mind :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by dirtyoldriver
It will make you feel better if you let it. It is essentially a placebo but who cares if it makes a difference? Anxiety is all in the mind anyway.

It helped me before my driving test. Recently I've had quite severe anxiety and things like that haven't been nearly so effective, annoying as I know my mum has a stash of diazepam somewhere but if she finds out I've been secretly taking valium she may just bust a nut so never mind :biggrin:

Yeah thats what i'm thinking. Even if the reason it works is cos its 'all in the mind' i don't really care.. as long as i calm down!
I've had it a few times and it had no effect on me :/
I've never found any OTC meds that are designed for anxiety to be particularly helpful. Although I have been prescribed some antihistamines for anxiety in the past that can be found in smaller doses OTC. However, the vast majority of them had the effect of making me feel very drowsy, so probably not best advised just before an exam!
Reply 10
It's probably just placebo effect, but I think it's amazing! I feel like it works immediately... But that's just me...
Original post by senator88
Okay, so i've got an exam next week, and its stressing me out, its not helping me revise as I keep thinking about it and getting nervous. Just wondering if anyone has tried this http://www.boots.com/en/Rescue-Remedy-Dropper-10ml_2221/
Or these http://www.boots.com/en/Rescue-Pastilles-50g_42284/

and whether they work by calming you down, settling your nerves?

i used the spray remedy and passed my theory first time :smile: i would definitely give it a try :smile:
Reply 12
It's a homeopathic remedy that is 50% brandy and 50% water, with the 'active ingredient' a low enough % for it to be assumed, in all practicality, to be 0%.

Tastes nice though.

Original post by Northumbrianursing
i used the spray remedy and passed my theory first time :smile: i would definitely give it a try :smile:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc
Original post by Joinedup
Nah they absolutely don't work... it's a type of homeopathy, which is to say a downright fraud.

kalms otoh contains measurable amounts of herbal extracts (valerian) though afaik the trials done to show effectiveness in relieving stress are inconclusive.

you can get the same herbal extracts for less money in Tesco herbal stress relief tablets.

actually i think in reality its the alcohol in rescue remedy that has the effects (though i agree with you about homeopathy in general and thats probably not how its supposed to work)
I dont think they do, but then because you're taking something I think it makes you think they're working. So basically a placebo. But all the same there's no harm in trying. Good luck too
Doctors don't hand out benzo's like sweets they'd most likely try psychological intervention or an antidepressant like sertraline at first to control anxiety.

Besides benzo's make it harder to study, I'm on daily clonazepam and it causes havoc to my attention span.
They work for me.
While I was revising (and stressed as hell) I had a couple of drops of Larch Bach remedy which is for confidence (or so they say) in a bottle of mineral water which i sipped throughout the day.
Maybe it is a placebo effect, I don't know, but I did feel a lot more calmer and productive :dontknow:
They are only a fiver, so I guess they are worth a try :smile:
I'd rather try something natural than take a prescription anti-anxiety drug.
I was sceptical about Bach Flower remedies to begin with, trialled them for 2 years. The convincing event was: Walked into a tow hitch on a car in the dark....wound on shin, shocked & in a lot of pain. Took 4 drops on tongue then put some on the wound, gently rubbed it in, hoped it would work, waited 5 minutes ...... no pain, shock gone. I did the same thing twice more that evening. No more pain until 3 weeks later when I leant on the bruise which started coming out.
I bought the box of 38 remedies learnt how to use them and treated people of all ages with emotional issues. They all felt very noticeable benefits. Parents were especially relieved at big improvements in their troubled children. I've put them in drinks for grumpy old people without them knowing. (I used to do live-in house keeping occasionally when I needed extra money) The relatives asked me what was my secret, why they were so much nicer?
All these types of remedy work on a subtle level. As long as you keep a positive approach there are improvements. If you have a negative outlook it blocks your own healing ability. Obviously they aren't going to treat a broken leg or serious disease but will help with emotional difficulties that can inhibit recovery.

Latest