Please help me critisise the artefact theory for health inequalities by gender

Watch
sashauk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi there I am really stuck on critisising the artefact theory for the health inequalities by gender. I have explained what the approach is but the only critisism that I can find is that it recognizes that are gender differences in morbidity and mortality, but this theory does not provide any explanation for these health differences.

Please could anyone tell me what other critsisms there are or where I can look I would be evre so greatful x
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sashauk)
Hi there I am really stuck on critisising the artefact theory for the health inequalities by gender. I have explained what the approach is but the only critisism that I can find is that it recognizes that are gender differences in morbidity and mortality, but this theory does not provide any explanation for these health differences.

Please could anyone tell me what other critsisms there are or where I can look I would be evre so greatful x
You can criticising it by saying not all stats are artefacts. And by contrasting it with the strength of the social causation and drift explanations.
RosieLouWilson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One Artefact explanation suggested for the differences in Morbidity and Mortality between males and females. Explanations of differences between men and women are often based on self-reports, which involve individuals assessing their own levels of illness. This has led some commentators to suggest that the higher levels of ill- health reported by women reflect their subject beliefs rather than objective reality. However, a study by MacIntyre (1993) found than men were significantly more likely than women to over rate their symptoms in comparison to a clinical observer. As a result, MacIntyre suggests that the real rates of illness for are significantly higher than the official figures indicate.
You may want to include the fact that women are more likely to visit the doctors and report their illness than men. This is because women are more familiar with the doctors' environment as they visit on a regular basis (due to pregnancy, Menstruation, contraception etc). Men simply 'deal' with their symptoms as visiting the doctors may be dangerous to their 'masculinity'.

I would really suggest that you get the haralambos book.
zivai
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am also looking for more sources and information on this theory as i want to use it for my dissertation (would appreciate help on writers who are important in developing the theory and its major strength in explaining health inequalities)
vanny9492
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
please can you tell me where you go the information on MacIntyre (1993).
i would be very greatful
GGGN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Basicalrrrry
GGGN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
JOKE
GGGN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The aretefact explanation is about bringing evolution togther which means bringing monkey to your home and making it a zoo also why are my parents the best anf yours not shout out to yo ugly ass looking faaammmiiiillllyyyyyyyyyy hashahahahahah
GGGN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mans a g still
follow m insta abbz?_1978
snapchat is the same name bro
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
27.89%
No (287)
72.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed