This discussion is closed.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
today i saw in the news the national institute for physics (i thinks that its name, and dont go away since i mentioned physics) is going to offer scholarships to students of around £1000 a year to low income students. This apperently would be decided on by means testing. This it seems as been cited by the press as one of the possible consequences of top up fees, with the brightest being attracted by large grants to do paricular insititutions and particular courses because of money.

what do people think about this? intrestingly enought one of the results of this is that chemistry could lose out as a subject since it does not have the funds like physics to support students. Any views welcome.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
today i saw in the news the national institute for physics (i thinks that its name, and dont go away since i mentioned physics) is going to offer scholarships to students of around £1000 a year to low income students. This apperently would be decided on by means testing. This it seems as been cited by the press as one of the possible consequences of top up fees, with the brightest being attracted by large grants to do paricular insititutions and particular courses because of money.

what do people think about this? intrestingly enought one of the results of this is that chemistry could lose out as a subject since it does not have the funds like physics to support students. Any views welcome.
I think the poorer are getting too much help now.
jammyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Dear Lord.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Dear Lord.
Everyone should pay the same providing it doesn't have to be paid upfront.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What are you on? The poor need all the help they can get.
material breach
Rep:
?
why do u say that? is there any particular reason? and what do u think is too much help?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
What are you on? The poor need all the help they can get.
But they do get a lot more help than other students and they do all start out at the same place after their degree.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do not many people want to do Physics then?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why do u say that? is there any particular reason? and what do u think is too much help?
I think everyone who is able should be encouraged to do physics, not just the poorer.
material breach
Rep:
?
Everyone should pay the same providing it doesn't have to be paid upfront.
surely the fact they are poor ie dont have the ability to pay means they shouldnt have to pay the same espically if they are interlectually capable.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
do not many people want to do Physics then?
Doubt it. Who would?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
surely the fact they are poor ie dont have the ability to pay means they shouldnt have to pay the same espically if they are interlectually capable.
It's a good idea. But a better idea would be for everyone to pay the same but not upfront that way we are all equal
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But they do get a lot more help than other students and they do all start out at the same place after their degree.
Yeah but they do have to finance themselves without as much help from their parents.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Doubt it. Who would?
erm - i only know one person :rolleyes:
material breach
Rep:
?
I think everyone who is able should be encouraged to do physics, not just the poorer.
i agree, 2 things firstly the example i mentioned at the top of this post is an example to encourage the poor but i dont think that will ne necessarily true once top up fees are introduced (if they are) with well off students being offered money as well as poorer ones

2nd thing is responce to daveo yes physics numbers are declining
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Yeah but they do have to finance themselves without as much help from their parents.
Yes that is true actually. I forgot about that. But the new system should help them
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a good idea. But a better idea would be for everyone to pay the same but not upfront that way we are all equal
The idea works in theory but I think a lot of people need to think twice about going to uni (people form all classes). University is fine if you are there to make a better life for youself but if you only just got through your A levels and end up going to a crappy uni on a crappy course that person is not likely to get a good job at the end of it.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes that is true actually. I forgot about that. But the new system should help them
True! Lets hope so!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
True! Lets hope so!
I think it is an excellent system and shall help the poorer and wont hurt anyone as they don't have to pay it upfront.

I hope the torys begin to like it to, just incase they win the next election. Although in fairness, they'll have to like it - since there is no other option.
material breach
Rep:
?
Doubt it. Who would?
well quite a few bright people would since no many people are doing it, it is a vauable skill to have. and the thread starter is also doing it to add to the list, why what do u want to do if you are going to dismiss physics?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.01%
No (103)
31.99%

Watched Threads