This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Audiology is a very cheap degree (not just for the poor)
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The idea works in theory but I think a lot of people need to think twice about going to uni (people form all classes). University is fine if you are there to make a better life for youself but if you only just got through your A levels and end up going to a crappy uni on a crappy course that person is not likely to get a good job at the end of it.
Did you choose to stay at home to keep away from the debt?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
YOu are not in the same position though. Its never enough money to live off. Even if fees are paid upfront you still need to come up with money. My student loan was never adequate enough for accommodation and living expenses I always had to work and study. My friends with richer parents didnt have to work had more times for clubs and societies, had enough money to travel, had enough money or daddy bought them a car to help with employment when they graduated.
How has that changed? Even if both sides have the same payment system and dont have to pay til they are working you are still at an advantage if you have a wealthy background.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
well quite a few bright people would since no many people are doing it, it is a vauable skill to have. and the thread starter is also doing it to add to the list, why what do u want to do if you are going to dismiss physics?
I admit it, it was a cheap gag at my least favourite Science.

I study International Relations and History.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
YOu are not in the same position though. Its never enough money to live off. Even if fees are paid upfront you still need to come up with money. My student loan was never adequate enough for accommodation and living expenses I always had to work and study. My friends with richer parents didnt have to work had more times for clubs and societies, had enough money to travel, had enough money or daddy bought them a car to help with employment when they graduated.
How has that changed? Even if both sides have the same payment system and dont have to pay til they are working you are still at an advantage if you have a wealthy background.
Yes you are right, I wont be given £60 a week... I will have to work. I'm torn on this one. It does seem like those poorer get a lot more help but then they need it?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Did you choose to stay at home to keep away from the debt?
That was the original idea but it hasn't worked, I'm already £4k in debt. Though I did use some of my loan to spend a week in Europe last year.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i have to agree that for some people university will be a less attractive option since altho they are in the same positon, they will not have the money to cover the short fall between grants and the cost of going to university and thus i cant seeing it particualrly helping more people go to univercity
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am from a poor background and am entitled to virtually everything the government presently offer me! my fees paid and £4000 loan!
My accomodation for the year was £2851 + £100 for books
Which would leave a grand total of £28 a week for me to live on! fortunately i get money from my grandparents so its ok for me!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You cant live on £28 per week?
I've already spent nearly £300 on books just this term. When I did my undergrad studying English we read about 3 books per week I must have spent well over a grand on books in my 3 years.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it is an excellent system and shall help the poorer and wont hurt anyone as they don't have to pay it upfront.

I hope the torys begin to like it to, just incase they win the next election. Although in fairness, they'll have to like it - since there is no other option.
I agree that the new system is fairer but i don't see the need to offer extra funding to poor students, i agree with happy sunshine, regardless of your background before university, if Gertrude Van Smythe comes out of KCL with a 2:1 as does james brown from barnsley, they're both going to have an equal footing in gaining a well paid job so why should one have extra financial gain just because she comes from a poor family? There are already many funding opportunities for poorer people to get through university which i totally agree with as they need some help, but the extra money available are just to sweeten up the people who dont understand the concept of the new fees and are arguing against the governments plans. It looks like the normal middle class are losing out again under labours proposals.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've already spent nearly £300 on books just this term. When I did my undergrad studying English we read about 3 books per week I must have spent well over a grand on books in my 3 years.
That's awful! Hearing things like that makes me think, university should be free to all. But unless by taking more money from the tax payer and cutting places down, I can't see how it would work.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I said £100 for books if you bought old copies! I spent £320 on books so far and im only 1 semester in!
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
I agree that the new system is fairer but i don't see the need to offer extra funding to poor students, i agree with happy sunshine, regardless of your background before university, if Gertrude Van Smythe comes out of KCL with a 2:1 as does james brown from barnsley, they're both going to have an equal footing in gaining a well paid job so why should one have extra financial gain just because she comes from a poor family? There are already many funding opportunities for poorer people to get through university which i totally agree with as they need some help, but the extra money available are just to sweeten up the people who dont understand the concept of the new fees and are arguing against the governments plans. It looks like the normal middle class are losing out again under labours proposals.
What about Accomodation costs?? There are other costs aside from fees.

The middle classes always lose out, they fund the country.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about everyone pays the same for living costs/tuition fees etc and this goes into a loan which isn't going to be repaid until graduation. And then those who are truely poorer get £50 (low I know) a week in term times, I'd see that as fair but expensive.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Well I said £100 for books if you bought old copies! I spent £320 on books so far and im only 1 semester in!
I got free book vouchers when I opened a bank account, and some of relaltives for christmas. Also, you should get a barclaycard because you get 15% of at Waterstone's. Some LEA's offer grants for books.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because it isnt enough. If they were going to offer you enough money up front to cover all tuition fees, accommodation fees and living expenses and you could pay it back at a later date, then that would be fair. But you arent in the same position if you are poorer also different courses have difference expenses books etc. Maybe money should be given on a case by case basis that would be fairer but as far as I'm aware thats not what they are planning to do.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about everyone pays the same for living costs/tuition fees etc and this goes into a loan which isn't going to be repaid until graduation. And then those who are truely poorer get £50 (low I know) a week in term times, I'd see that as fair but expensive.
The accomodation costs can come from your bog standard student loan which is means tested. Then there should be more help for financial hardship, up to £1000 a year for accomodation costs, then book money depending on your course, law, english and other course sneeding lots of material get this bursaried.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
I got free book vouchers when I opened a bank account, and some of relaltives for christmas. Also, you should get a barclaycard because you get 15% of at Waterstone's. Some LEA's offer grants for books.
Grants for books? Now that would be good!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Almost all of my law books are new editions 2003 and therefore I cant buy second hand. I've tried to sell all my English books on ebay and amazon but I cant shift most of them.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Almost all of my law books are new editions 2003 and therefore I cant buy second hand. I've tried to sell all my English books on ebay and amazon but I cant shift most of them.
A lot of the medical books i have are new editions as well and i dont like old books! New is all crisp and clean!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.79%
No (263)
33.21%

Watched Threads