The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

AA100 The Arts - Past & Present: Former students?

Hey anyone who's studied AA100 with OU? I was wondering whether anyone had any of the reading materials they were willing to get rid of?

Regards,
Reply 1
I have the books from AA100 if you would like them :smile: I live in Barnet, London.

I personally quit the course as it turns out they dislike when students rewrite history, lol.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I have to do AA100 as one of the compulsory modules (yuk), would you be able to send me a copy of the Assessment booklet to have a read through? I'm trying to decide whether I can manage that alongside a level 3 module!
Original post by h82think
I have the books from AA100 if you would like them :smile: I live in Barnet, London.

I personally quit the course as it turns out they dislike when students rewrite history, lol.

Is there no fee for quitting a course? I thought if you quit the course, you'd have to pay a fee or something? Also, did you get financial support for it? I read somewhere that if you quit a course, you're unlikely to get financial support for any other courses.. How did you go about quitting? Badly want to quit. I've got Assignment 04 due and I really HATE this course :tongue:

(sorry for all the questions :redface:)
Original post by converselove
Is there no fee for quitting a course? I thought if you quit the course, you'd have to pay a fee or something? Also, did you get financial support for it? I read somewhere that if you quit a course, you're unlikely to get financial support for any other courses.. How did you go about quitting? Badly want to quit. I've got Assignment 04 due and I really HATE this course :tongue:

I've just withdrawn from A207, the workload was just too much, plus not being interested in the course materials didn't help. I'm now on restricted study because last year I was unable to complete the course I was doing, due to illness and other reasons. Restricted means that they will only let you do another course if you can show that you are preforming well in the course you are doing, I'm lucky that they are letting me do A200, if they weren't I would have to wait 3 years before being allowed to take another course. I have been told though that if I show I am committed to A200 I'll be allowed to take the course I want to in October. Though this is down to the reginal centre. I haven't had to pay anything back.
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
I've just withdrawn from A207, the workload was just too much, plus not being interested in the course materials didn't help. I'm now on restricted study because last year I was unable to complete the course I was doing, due to illness and other reasons. Restricted means that they will only let you do another course if you can show that you are preforming well in the course you are doing, I'm lucky that they are letting me do A200, if they weren't I would have to wait 3 years before being allowed to take another course. I have been told though that if I show I am committed to A200 I'll be allowed to take the course I want to in October. Though this is down to the reginal centre. I haven't had to pay anything back.

Ahh okay thanks, how did you go about withdrawing? I have an essay due for today and I've been wanting to quit it for a while. Is there someone I have to inform about quitting the course?
Ahh okay thanks, how did you go about withdrawing? I have an essay due for today and I've been wanting to quit it for a while. Is there someone I have to inform about quitting the course?

Just ring either your regional centre or the general helpline number. You might be better off asking your tutor aswell. I think I just emailed them tbh, where it has contact us there should be a little box where you can email a question to them.

I need to start AA100 in October as it is a required course, how bad is it?
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
Just ring either your regional centre or the general helpline number. You might be better off asking your tutor aswell. I think I just emailed them tbh, where it has contact us there should be a little box where you can email a question to them.

I need to start AA100 in October as it is a required course, how bad is it?

Great, thanks. I think I'll email them and my tutor.

It depends really. There's a lot of course materials (really heavy box of stuff -.-).

You'll study Cleopatra, Christopher Marlow, Cézanne, Michael Faraday, Stalin, The Diva, The Dalai Lama, Plato on Tradition and Belief, The Faber Book of Beasts, Tradition and Dissent in English Christianity, Pugin and the Revival of the Gothic Tradition, Tradition and Dissent in Music, The Art of Benin, Cultural Encounters and Cultural Exemptions, Short Stories, the Transmission of Medical Knowledge, The Burial at Thebes, Leisure and the Purpose of Life, Sacred Space and Landscape, The Seaside - Victorian Seaside Music.

Only a handful of these topics are actually required to complete the Assignments as they can't assess you on everything. For example, there's an essay on Cleopatra but nothing on Christopher Marlow so you can get away with leaving junks of the course out and just reading what is needed for the assignments :smile:
Reply 8

There isn't a fee, other than that they don't give refunds on course fees. However, they will give you a certain amount of your course fees towards a future course. The exact amount you get depends on your circumstances.
Original post by Juno
There isn't a fee, other than that they don't give refunds on course fees. However, they will give you a certain amount of your course fees towards a future course. The exact amount you get depends on your circumstances.

that's okay, I got full financial support for that course and I've been told i can get the same for my next course so it's all good :smile:
Does anybody have an electronic copy of the assignments for this module please

Quick Reply

Latest