Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi to everyone
    im a new member of uk-learning...
    i have just found out that 3 of my 4 choices for dentitry have been unsuccessful.. i really dont know what to do?! i still want to do dentitry but i have no idea what i should do next..am i able to do dentitry by doing a foundation course maybe or..?!!please help!!is anyone in the same situation?? can any1 give me some information in this area...thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazy)
    hi to everyone
    i have just found out that 3 of my 4 choices for dentitry have been unsuccessful.. i really dont know what to do?! i still want to do dentitry but i have no idea what i should do next..am i able to do dentitry by doing a foundation course maybe or..?!!please help!!is anyone in the same situation?? can any1 give me some information in this area...thanks so much
    You could take a gap year and reapply next year. Or you can see if you can get a dentistry place through clearing when you get your results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazy)
    hi to everyone
    Don't worry. It's a crap job anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazy)
    hi to everyone
    Did your predicted A-level grades meet the requirements of the unis you applied to? If not then you will have to work hard to gain the correct grades at A-level and then reapply. Otherwise, you might be better off going for degree with something to do with human sciences and then applying for dentistry at graduate level. Do you know why you have been unsuccessful?
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    As far as I know there are no graduate level/foundation yrs available for dentistry. Your best bet should you be rejected to all 4 is to contact each of your uni admissions tutor individually and try to talk your way in (long shot but worth a try if you've got your heart set on this) and if that fails take a year out and spend the time working in a dentists/dental hospital/orthodontist - this will hugely increase your changes next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Did your predicted A-level grades meet the requirements of the unis you applied to? If not then you will have to work hard to gain the correct grades at A-level and then reapply. Otherwise, you might be better off going for degree with something to do with human sciences and then applying for dentistry at graduate level. Do you know why you have been unsuccessful?
    Lucy, are you at med school?

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely the possibility of applying for dentistry as a graduate (they do this at King's College London to name but a few) but obviously it is more competitive.

timeofyourlife - not yet, hopefully in September/October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    There is definitely the possibility of applying for dentistry as a graduate (they do this at King's College London to name but a few) but obviously it is more competitive.

timeofyourlife - not yet, hopefully in September/October
    Ah right, have you received any offers? If any are from notts, bristol, imperial or southampton (or even oxford/york for biochem)...then I know about them (apart from York, which cruely rejected me!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Ah right, have you received any offers? If any are from notts, bristol, imperial or southampton (or even oxford/york for biochem)...then I know about them (apart from York, which cruely rejected me!)
    How would you know about them ? Unfortunately I have had zero offers from any of the unis you mentioned. I have so far gotten offers from Oxford and King's College London for medicine and an interview coming up for UCL (also applied to Imperial who didn't even bother sending me a confirmation!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    How would you know about them ? Unfortunately I have had zero offers from any of the unis you mentioned. I have so far gotten offers from Oxford and King's College London for medicine and an interview coming up for UCL (also applied to Imperial who didn't even bother sending me a confirmation!)
    I went to their interviews/did research and had offers :rolleyes:. Well done for the oxford offer!!!! Which college? I applied to Teddy Hall for biochem as an insurance and had the self-satisfying option of turning them down . I'm in my first year at bristol, the work is really starting to get on top of us all now, they cram so much into the first year!

ReputationRep:
    I went to their interviews/did research and had offers :rolleyes:. Well done for the oxford offer!!!! Which college? I applied to Teddy Hall for biochem as an insurance and had the self-satisfying option of turning them down . I'm in my first year at bristol, the work is really starting to get on top of us all now, they cram so much into the first year!
    Ah cool It was for Worcester College - Teddy Hall is supposed to be really nice (my friend applied there but got rejected) - how come you didn't apply for Medicine at Ox? Ah yes, I have the huge workload to look forward to when I start uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Ah cool It was for Worcester College - Teddy Hall is supposed to be really nice (my friend applied there but got rejected) - how come you didn't apply for Medicine at Ox? Ah yes, I have the huge workload to look forward to when I start uni
    Because of the course structure and the fact I wanted to intercalate law at bristol. You did really well to get in, now make sure you get those A-Level grades!

ReputationRep:
    the fact I wanted to intercalate law at bristol.
    wow, that sounds interesting ! Thanks, hopefully I will meet my offer *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    wow, that sounds interesting ! Thanks, hopefully I will meet my offer *fingers crossed*
    Yes, you'll be running down those corridors shouting "Stat" in no time

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'll be running down those corridors shouting "Stat" in no time
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    :confused:
    Like on ER, if my hospital attachments are not like ER I will be most disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazy)
    hi to everyone

I didnt know university's offered 'dentitry' courses.

Seriously tho hard luck mate, there's still a chance mind you.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.