Rejection for dentistry (HELP) Watch

This discussion is closed.
nazy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi to everyone
im a new member of uk-learning...
i have just found out that 3 of my 4 choices for dentitry have been unsuccessful.. i really dont know what to do?! i still want to do dentitry but i have no idea what i should do next..am i able to do dentitry by doing a foundation course maybe or..?!!please help!!is anyone in the same situation?? can any1 give me some information in this area...thanks so much
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just grin and bear it.

Seriously - just wait and see what happens. Don't worry.

J.
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
ah i'm really sorry m8! i know its easy for me to say but remain positive i know someone who got 3 rejctions for medicine yet he is in his second year now! It only takes one offer to become a dentist! Godd luck with your last place!!
nazy
(Original post by SAM*)
ah i'm really sorry m8! i know its easy for me to say but remain positive i know someone who got 3 rejctions for medicine yet he is in his second year now! It only takes one offer to become a dentist! Godd luck with your last place!!
thanx so much.. but its hard to stay +ve when i dont know wat i've done wrong to get rejected... i dunno wat my future options will be if i dont get any offers at all.. i really wana do dentistryyyyyyyyy((((((
ruthybaby
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nazy)
thanx so much.. but its hard to stay +ve when i dont know wat i've done wrong to get rejected... i dunno wat my future options will be if i dont get any offers at all.. i really wana do dentistryyyyyyyyy((((((
hey dont panic!im in the same boat waitin for dentistry replys!just try and keep working cause all you can do is wait!maybe you could ask the unis for feedback on your interviews and you'l know for again? there is a foundation yr, its yr 0 which i applied for as ive no chem.its done in manchester, cardiff and bristol!all the best with your other uni and let me no how you get on!!
nazy
(Original post by ruthybaby)
hey dont panic!im in the same boat waitin for dentistry replys!just try and keep working cause all you can do is wait!maybe you could ask the unis for feedback on your interviews and you'l know for again? there is a foundation yr, its yr 0 which i applied for as ive no chem.its done in manchester, cardiff and bristol!all the best with your other uni and let me no how you get on!!
aww...thanx..im sure u be fine.. i want to start applying for dentistry but i dont know if its 2 late or not..i dont know what to do?!is it too late to apply for foundation dentistry????...
SAM*
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nazy)
seriously i can imagine the frustration- i mean i've only ever wanted to be a doctor and when you want something so bad you actually cannot imagine yourself doing anything else mainly because ur so used to picturing yourself in that particular profession!

However sometimes things don't turn out the way we want and you never know the joy you may find in other things, but DON'T give up just yet their is still hope- you have one uni left and thats all it takes! if that turns out to be unsuccessful you can reapply in the next cycle!

I firmly believe in that if you truly want something so bad you will achieve it just believe in yourself! don't look at it as though you have been 'rejected'- its an unsuccessful application don't forget you are competing with thousands of others and the outcome is not necessarily a reflection of you it may have been an arbitary way of reducing the number of candidates! best of luck and tell me how things go!
zero101
Report 16 years ago
if u dont get ne offers,. get gd grades and try go thru clearing
if not, takre gap year and apply post a-level...ul have better chance that way ne ways
nazy
(Original post by SAM*)
seriously i can imagine the frustration- i mean i've only ever wanted to be a doctor and when you want something so bad you actually cannot imagine yourself doing anything else mainly because ur so used to picturing yourself in that particular profession!

However sometimes things don't turn out the way we want and you never know the joy you may find in other things, but DON'T give up just yet their is still hope- you have one uni left and thats all it takes! if that turns out to be unsuccessful you can reapply in the next cycle!

I firmly believe in that if you truly want something so bad you will achieve it just believe in yourself! don't look at it as though you have been 'rejected'- its an unsuccessful application don't forget you are competing with thousands of others and the outcome is not necessarily a reflection of you it may have been an arbitary way of reducing the number of candidates! best of luck and tell me how things go!
thank you so much.. i feel so much better now.. dentistry is what i always a wanted to do.. i even started working in a dentist when i was 15(.. how do u mean apply in the next cycle?do u mean next year?...
if i dont get any offers im gona apply for foundation dentistry, i just hope its not gona be 2 late...
nazy
(Original post by zero101)
if u dont get ne offers,. get gd grades and try go thru clearing
if not, takre gap year and apply post a-level...ul have better chance that way ne ways
thanx.. well im trying hard to make sure i get the required grades but what worries me is the fact that i might not get a place..... have u applied yet?or are you at uni?
eLdIablo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nazy)
hi to everyone
im a new member of uk-learning...
i have just found out that 3 of my 4 choices for dentitry have been unsuccessful.. i really dont know what to do?! i still want to do dentitry but i have no idea what i should do next..am i able to do dentitry by doing a foundation course maybe or..?!!please help!!is anyone in the same situation?? can any1 give me some information in this area...thanks so much

Hey...dont panic too much..i guess you should wait to see what happens..but if you want you could do something like biomedical science and then carry on into dentistry...that is if you really want to do dentistry...then thats another way of going about it...goodluc wid it all dont worry...well i know that thats a stupid thing to say but have a go anyways.
nazy
(Original post by kingpong)
I got 4 offers for Denstistry last year but screwed up my chemistry so I'm retaking this year, and was fortunate enough to get another offer from Sheffield (AAB rather than ABB). So it isn't the end of the world if everything doesn't go to plan.

I doubt you'd get much luck with clearing. My experience last year suggested most places are perfectly capable of filling their very few places with people who obtained the required grades.
... im sorry abut wat happened to u last year... so do u think that even if i get rejected from all of my 4 choices of uni and concentrate on my a-level i have a good chance of getting a place at uni?...
why didnt u do foundation dentistry instead of taking a gap year?(if u dont mind me asking, caz i want to do the same if i dont get the grades)thanx..
kingpong
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nazy)
... im sorry abut wat happened to u last year... so do u think that even if i get rejected from all of my 4 choices of uni and concentrate on my a-level i have a good chance of getting a place at uni?...
why didnt u do foundation dentistry instead of taking a gap year?(if u dont mind me asking, caz i want to do the same if i dont get the grades)thanx..
I've never really looked into it.

I only missed out with Chemistry, so hopefully sorting that out through retake should see me through. It's also cheaper on my folks for me to stay at home than spend an extra year at uni.

AFAIK the foundation year is only aimed at those who have strange A-level choices, ie. arts subjects, not as a lower grade requirement entry scheme.

If you're sure you want to do dentistry and can get the grades for it, but you still get 4 rejections, I'd just try and ace your exams still, and prepare for a gap year. Reapplication with the required grades already obtained should get you in, I'd have thought, particularly if you do extra course-related stuff during your gap.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It might be worth contacting the admissions tutors to try and find out why you were rejected...if it was due to competitiona dn numbers you could ask that if anyone should cancel for their interview could you be considered to take that interview place? A friend of mine did that after being rejected for vet med at glasgow and is now in her first year there as they changed their mind!
If not, in contacting the admissions tutors - you know what you must alter for next year.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads