The Student Room Group
Reply 1
well for vet med you just needed up to date mumps, meningitus, tb and tetanus which is basically what all unis recommend you have but the most important one for vet is tetanus. well thats all the rvc wanted anyway.
Reply 2
hmm, interesting Q - i don't think Hep B is inter-species existent or transmissable.. so that might suggets tis perhaps not necessary.

the only obvious ones i can think of as potentially relevant to vet sci = tetanus - what with the outdoorsy ness/soil & TB (badgers?).

but if you haven't found it mentioned in prospectuses then i wouldn't worry too much - where it's really important for the start of the course - med/dent as you've probably seen the prospectuses normally do mention it.

when i got my first offer letter they mentioned needing to start my hep B course - so if there's anything comparable i should imagine they'll let you know when you get offers? HTH :smile:
Reply 3
hull chic
well for vet med you just needed up to date mumps, meningitus, tb and tetanus which is basically what all unis recommend you have but the most important one for vet is tetanus. well thats all the rvc wanted anyway.

You have to have had the mumps jab? I never got the second one as I was allergic to eggs. Then again I've had suspected mumps, well, it looked like mumps, I knew people with mumps, so pretty sure it was, but the blood tests were negative. (It was right before my As levels as well, lucky me). I'm guessing having the jab more of a suggestion that a necessity at most unis? I didn't apply to RVC though, but is it the same elsewhere?
I should probably get round to getting my Hep B considering the prescription's been sitting staring at for for 2 months :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Maz212
You have to have had the mumps jab? I never got the second one as I was allergic to eggs. Then again I've had suspected mumps, well, it looked like mumps, I knew people with mumps, so pretty sure it was, but the blood tests were negative. (It was right before my As levels as well, lucky me). I'm guessing having the jab more of a suggestion that a necessity at most unis? I didn't apply to RVC though, but is it the same elsewhere?

it wasnt a requirement but was highly recommended. i would def recommend you have it b4 u go to any uni as we are in a high risk age group for mumps.
yeah i think its the case for vets sci aswell but not sure because you'll be dealing with animals you may need other injections
Reply 7
can u get immunised for HIV?
Reply 8
Thanks well that's one less thing to worry about then. My "to do" list is way too long at the mo! :frown:
Reply 9
sayed_samed

nope
Reply 10
When i did work experience at the vets i had to have tetanus, so i'd assume that you need it for vet med at uni
Reply 11
how long before start of the course do you have to get the jabs?
Reply 12
Damn this thread for being long ago forgotton, i've just started my hep b vaccinations because I thought we needed them!!! Aaa well I suppose it can't harm!!
Reply 13
Dr_SS_Lecter

I think this is a quite interesting issue though; maybe we can make ourselves immune in the future using gen therapies...
btw do you believe this story?
Sorry for going off topic:wink:
Reply 14
He has told the papers he would do anything he could to help find a cure.

if this case were able to shed further light, it could be extremely valuable for research into treatments or a cure.

and yet

he had declined to undergo further tests.

...I admire his selflessness
Reply 15
Elles
hmm, interesting Q - i don't think Hep B is inter-species existent or transmissable.. so that might suggets tis perhaps not necessary.

the only obvious ones i can think of as potentially relevant to vet sci = tetanus - what with the outdoorsy ness/soil & TB (badgers?).

but if you haven't found it mentioned in prospectuses then i wouldn't worry too much - where it's really important for the start of the course - med/dent as you've probably seen the prospectuses normally do mention it.

when i got my first offer letter they mentioned needing to start my hep B course - so if there's anything comparable i should imagine they'll let you know when you get offers? HTH :smile:

Hep B is transmissable between wild horses and humans and a jab is necessary for some special projects.

TETANUS JABS ARE RECOMENDED EVERY 1-3 years depending on whom you ask. tetanus immunity does not actually last the 10 yrs recommended for other people.

Cattle/ Badger TB is mycobacterium bovis and its mycobacterium tuberculosis that affects some, usually immunosuppressed humans. more likely to catch it from other people.

Get all the other jabs you can like MMR, mening. etc cos starting at uni as a fresher is exposing yourself to one helluva infection pool!!!!!
Reply 16
do we need to be jabbed for tetanus before we start vet school?
Reply 17
Yes. Everyone should keep up to date anyway- falling down in the park is enough to give you tetanus!
At Liverpool everyone goes for their jabs as part of the course in the first week of term so that they know everyone's been done.