The Student Room Group

Male/Female interviewers!

Just to make it clear now, I don't want to start arguments...! (the myth thread got me thinking...)

I was wonderinq whether having a male or female interviewer made any difference? (I mean that in the broadest sense possible, ie. to level of difficulty, formality, entertainment, style of interview!)

Both mine were females (makes sense being for Newnham...) & they were not intimidating at all, the archaeology one was more of a conversation about archaeology, my thoughts on a few things & my various work experiences (it lasted 40mins...twice as long as I was time-tabled for!). I wonder if I would have had it so easy with a male interviewer? (I honestly don't know, I love the subject so would probably loved any chance to chat about it...my friends are getting sick of it now!)

The second interview (anthropology) was slightly more formal (she wore her gown!) and asked more 'accademic' questions but still was'nt the awful experience I was led to expect!

(By saying easy I don't mean they were'nt challenging, just that they didn't ask impossible questions and the interviewers were friendly...introduced themselves by first name not title & position!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helenia thinks back to her interview in the dim and distant past

My first interview was with a woman and a man, with the woman (who is actually our Clinical Director of Studies) leading it. She was tough, pretty inflexible, but fair, and nice when I got stuff right. My second was with two men, one of whom has now retired and the other is my Director of Studies. They were a little more informal, but tended to keep me dangling a bit if I didn't know the answer, so I felt stupid on a couple of occasions. I don't think it makes much difference though - I don't feel intimidated in supervisions (all my supervisors are male) and there is only a small minority of male teaching staff at Cambridge who are still sexist, so I'm happy as I am!
Reply 2
It sounds so cool, I really hope I get the grades, the more I hear the more I love it! I had the leave you to struggle for a bit on a few questions! I would love it if my one interviewer could be my Director of Studies, she seemed really enthusiastic!

Think I should point out that I wasn't intending going for sexism at Cambridge just wondered if there were any trends in interview styles etc.
Reply 3
I had two interviews, each with two men and then one interview with a man and a woman. I don't think my interviewers' genders had an effect at all on how my interviews were conducted. My hardest interviewer was a man and he didn't like it when I rambled (he would just look at me blankly) and expected me to keep up with the fast pace of the interview and get straight to the point. The woman was friendly but she didn't go much out of her way to help me with problems or guide me whereas my other interviewers did when I needed help.

Overall, I think I found my interviews with the male tutors the most interesting/amusing just because they sometimes cracked jokes so it really made me feel like I wasn't just being interrogated. Having a woman interviewer was a nice change though and I wouldn't at all mind having a female tutor :smile:
Reply 4
One of my interviewers was absolutely gorgeous.... but I'd better not say her name! :redface:

Adam
Reply 5
All six of my interviewers were male. I didn't give gender a second thought.

J.
Reply 6
Tnacilppa
One of my interviewers was absolutely gorgeous.... but I'd better not say her name! :redface:

Adam

lol :tongue: One of my interviewers looked like Harry Potter - made the interview less scary :biggrin: !
Lucy
lol :tongue: One of my interviewers looked like Harry Potter - made the interview less scary :biggrin: !

So did one of mine He is my director of studies next year. He seems like a really nice guy and there were no broomstick antics.

Musicboy
i had 7 interviews for cam, 3 for robinson (all male), 2 for new hall (both male) and 2 for girton (1 male 1 female). but then i did apply for maths so i was expecting to have more male interviewers, but i was surprised that both my interviewers for new hall were male, considering its a womens only college.

Donna
-x-
Both of my interviewers were men (Trinity for Nat Sci). They were OK, they helped me through the questions when I got a little stuck (one more than the other) and laughed when I joked.

Then I came out of the interview and remembered that the advice was not to try and be funny, in case their sense of humour wasn't the same. But they laughed, and I got an offer, so perhaps it orked in my favour!
Reply 10
I had 5 interviews - 2 with 2 men, 2 with just 1 man, and 1 with 1 woman and 1 man... I didn't enjoy my interview with the woman at all!! I don't how how to explain it exactly, but I kinda feel more tense around women - I feel that I have to act more mature :rolleyes:

One of the guys in my first interview was sooooo hot! He must have been in his late 20s :tongue: I didn't get into that college :frown: anyway, all my other male interviewers were really nice!
Reply 11
I had two interviews, one with a female and one with a male and female. I thought both the female tutors really put me at my ease, one of them was telling a lot of jokes whereas the male tutor didn't even smile once, though he didn't speak much either. It all depends on the person though,
Reply 12
oooooooh for my interview for Economics i had a guy. He was super nice and not bad looking either cos he was quite young and Spanish looking(teeheehee) Its kinda shocking to think he was already a professor at that age...N e ways he kept me in for 45mins (rather than the expected 25mins) and surprise surprise i got the place! That just shows that a male interviewer isn't necessarily tougher thana female!
Sxxx
Reply 13
i was interviewed by three females and five males over the course of three interviews, and to be honest i thought the one with the twoo guys was the worst, but having got the feedback it turns out they thought that was my best, so shows what i know! I do think that the number of interviewers is important though - i would HATE to have been interviewed by just one person... what if that one person took a dislike to you? ah! no, i like the idea of an informal style 'panel'.
angelzland
oooooooh for my interview for Economics i had a guy. He was super nice and not bad looking either cos he was quite young and Spanish looking(teeheehee) Its kinda shocking to think he was already a professor at that age...N e ways he kept me in for 45mins (rather than the expected 25mins) and surprise surprise i got the place!

Maybe you two had chemistry. Would you consider persuing it when you get there? Or is that immorral (sp?)?

That just shows that a male interviewer isn't necessarily tougher thana female!
Sxxx

...it might show that tutors sometimes think out of their pants :smile:

Eitherway, congratulations :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 15
I had two interviews, 1 with 1 male, 1 with 1 female for comp sci at Pembroke. Male's questions started simple then went exponential. Female's questions started hard and stayed hard. Male will be with me for my supervision next year providing I get my grades. Nice people they are.
Reply 16
i was interviewed by two females and it was hell.
My interviewers were all male. That's exactly what I was expecting as the subject is engineering.
Reply 18
My interviewers were all male. One was very pleasant, one was very nervous and one seemed to be trying to score points off me but I think I may have inadvertently started it.

Did anyone else find that the interviews, far from being intimidating, actually boosted their performance by being so relaxed and informal. If so what college were you being interviewed by. ( I was being done at Sidney Sussex ).
Faboba
My interviewers were all male. One was very pleasant, one was very nervous and one seemed to be trying to score points off me but I think I may have inadvertently started it.

Did anyone else find that the interviews, far from being intimidating, actually boosted their performance by being so relaxed and informal. If so what college were you being interviewed by. ( I was being done at Sidney Sussex ).

My subject interview at Robinson was really nice and kind of informal. I got the chance to chat about adorno to someone which is something I never get to do. Even in London I don't know anyone who has read his stuff so it was great to talk about it. On the other hand my interview at selwyn was horrible and intimidating. The interviewer would not let me talk about my interests in music :frown: anyway I got an offer from robinson so i'm hppy.

MB

Latest

Trending

Trending