My interview feedback Watch

This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just got a letter today from Cambridge saying my feedback:

"Rushda was one of our strongest candidates - bright, thoughtful, and tenacious in discussion. This was, however, a very strong group and she only just missed out by lacking some of the logic skills of the very best candidates"

Hmmmm *sigh* And to think I understood the logic question and was kicking myself afterwards about being so stupid when discussing it and making really silly mistakes.

What should I make of this? reapply? move on? feel even more depressed? I'm all confused.
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)

"Rushda was one of our strongest candidates - bright, thoughtful, and tenacious in discussion. This was, however, a very strong group and she only just missed out by lacking some of the logic skills of the very best candidates"

Hmmmm *sigh* And to think I understood the logic question and was kicking myself afterwards about being so stupid when discussing it and making really silly mistakes.

What should I make of this? reapply? move on? feel even more depressed? I'm all confused.
Your feedback is actually extremely encouraging. Logical thinking skills are something that can be easily picked up with a little practice. As you said, your performance in the logic section could have been due to carelessness - something which can be almost automatically corrected. I definitely think this is positive feedback - nothing negative about you as a person. The fact that you 'only just missed out' really shows that you are a strong candidate. I think it would be worth reapplying (as long as you know the score and want a gap year)
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Your feedback is actually extremely encouraging. Logical thinking skills are something that can be easily picked up with a little practice. As you said, your performance in the logic section could have been due to carelessness - something which can be almost automatically corrected. I definitely think this is positive feedback - nothing negative about you as a person. The fact that you 'only just missed out' really shows that you are a strong candidate. I think it would be worth reapplying (as long as you know the score and want a gap year)
I echo everything Lucy has said. The fact that you were one of the strongest candidates and had nearly everything going for you means you are very unlucky not to have gotten a place. Next year round, I'd find it hard for them to reject you when they have said this.
TK0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh take a year out i am :-)
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

It does sound like a genuine 'near miss' but maybe not quite as close as their letter implies - or else you would have been picked up in the pool. If it's any consolation most tutors realise that interviewees stumble over a question from time to time simply through the pressure of the sitaution. They are tryng to see beyond that so one silly answer probably wont have ruined your chances.People I know who have been in a same position often seem to have decided as much on their feelings about a gap year. If you're OK abou that then is their anything to lose by reapplying?

You also need to ask yourself whether your own honest assessment matches theirs. From what you've said it seems like you will have a better chance next year. You will be armed with the confidence of being very close this time plus older and wiser!!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would reapply based on that :/
smaug
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should think very hard before pulling out and reapplying although you had a near miss. Why? Well next year is going to be ultra competitive everywhere because lots of ppl will choose not to take a gap year to avoid top up fees (it looks as though it will go through).
York(thats your 2nd choice isnt it?) is a top class university and maybe they wont hold the place open for you.
The essential question is do you want a gap year? If youre rejected by Cambridge again will you feel you wasted a year or will you be glad you did it anyway?
as1
Report 14 years ago
Based on that information I would re-apply again. However, a second rejection (if that happens) can be very hard on the soul. You need to re-apply for the sake of the process and almost paradoxically not for the result.

For the second time round, I would recommend doing alot of reading preparation (esp for Logic if that is what they picked you up on - Guttenplan's Languages of Logic is an excellent start and then Hodges Logic (a first year text!)). Build yourself up and show them all that you are.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend (as I think they don't) re-applying to the same College.

Oh also, as you will already have your results, and they will be excellent , places like York and other Uni's will be much more in your favour because they know you've already got their asking offer and more whereas all other pre-alevel candidates are considered 'risks'.

As
smaug
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by as1)
Oh also, as you will already have your results, and they will be excellent , places like York and other Uni's will be much more in your favour because they know you've already got their asking offer and more whereas all other pre-alevel candidates are considered 'risks'.

As
Good point, but they will also know that shes applied to Cam from the date of her application and they will know that shes got top grades and stands quite a good chance of being accepted....
Still maybe youre right
as1
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by smaug)
Good point, but they will also know that shes applied to Cam from the date of her application and they will know that shes got top grades and stands quite a good chance of being accepted....
Still maybe youre right
That is true... I re-applied and got all offers, but perhaps they thought I wasn't going to get a place at cam..... It is so tricky, although one could argue that she is getting her form in early because she has done it before and just wants to hurry the process. Perhaps it would help getting the form in on the 1st Sept when UCAS opens - that way it looks more like she is generally keen than Oxbridge keen. If you submit your form on the 14th Oct, people are going to guess your motivation!

I dunno. Thinking about it, I could just be spouting rubbish

AS
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That would be a bit of a tough job to get it in on the 1st of september - You'd need all your teachers to write new references based on your results (on the other handj you will get all As so you get them to write provisional ones on the basis you get the grades you expect. Also if you apply online the form takes ages to fill out.

Musicboy
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Thank you so much for all your advice everyone! Of course I'd have to write a new personal statement etc. It really all depends on my grades at A2 I think - since "98% of all applicants had at least 3 As at AS" I'm sure that would have been a factor as well.

And ironically enough I have read Hodges but it was a matter of applying it to the on-the-spot questions which was difficult, partly due to nervousness! I'm normally a clear headed person and logic requires that, but believe me...doing complex logic problems on the spot is awful when you are so nervous!
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
go to york rushda being rejected twice sucks lol, and you never think itll happen to you.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by edders)
go to york rushda being rejected twice sucks lol, and you never think itll happen to you.
I agree - getting a place at York is a great opportunity.
Oh, and if you're going to read a logic textbook I wouldn't go for Hodges as it's been largely discredited. I know the Oxford philosophy department aren't using it for prelims next year because it's just riddled with contradictions and isn't very up-to-date.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Being rejected twice would be a bitter pill to swallow.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Being rejected twice would be a bitter pill to swallow.
Not only that but it would put you back a year of your life and possibly damage your chances of getting into another good university. I generally think reapplying is not a good idea.

llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by edders)
yeah, come to york...you'll end up on the same course as me. <evil manic grin> bwahahahaha....

(Original post by hildabeast)
I agree - getting a place at York is a great opportunity.
Oh, and if you're going to read a logic textbook I wouldn't go for Hodges as it's been largely discredited. I know the Oxford philosophy department aren't using it for prelims next year because it's just riddled with contradictions and isn't very up-to-date.
lol!

how can a logic text book be full of contradictions? surely, with it being about, er, logic, someone would have noticed before? :confused:
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
how can a logic text book be full of contradictions? surely, with it being about, er, logic, someone would have noticed before? :confused:
It can be. The way he explains formal language isn't considered to be particularly effective. I was taught propositional calculus using that book and the tutor gave me sheets and sheets of notes just correcting where she thought Hodges had gone wrong.

Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Proof by contradiction... duh :rolleyes:

Seriously though Rushda, although I'm tempted to say to take it with a pinch of salt because a college like Clare is almost always going to be nice it does seem rather glowing. Even if you don't reapply then it's worth remembering how close you were.
However, despite the rush of students not doing gap years et cetera next year or whatever I'd recommend applying again. Just make sure you have some damn good answers to why you think you're better that time around... I know that's a question I'd certainly ask you.

Alaric.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is it really worth putting yourself back a year and spending more time on applications etc when you can just go to an excellent university like York???

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (812)
80.48%
Leave (197)
19.52%

Watched Threads