This discussion is closed.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Just got a letter today from Cambridge saying my feedback:

"Rushda was one of our strongest candidates - bright, thoughtful, and tenacious in discussion. This was, however, a very strong group and she only just missed out by lacking some of the logic skills of the very best candidates"

Hmmmm *sigh* And to think I understood the logic question and was kicking myself afterwards about being so stupid when discussing it and making really silly mistakes.

What should I make of this? reapply? move on? feel even more depressed? I'm all confused.
Unless you have previously generally been considering a Gap year, then don't bother. York is a top university, and its not going to affect your employment prospects. You could always go back to cambridge to do a MPhil or PhD
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have you asked them if they'll tell you honestly what your chances are if you apply next year.
I think its pretty risky, as has already been said if you were as strong as that feedback says surely they would have picked you up in the pool. I would see if you can get an indication as to what your chances are York is a great uni and you dont want to pass up on it if you dont have a realistic chance of Cambridge.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Have you asked them if they'll tell you honestly what your chances are if you apply next year.
I think its pretty risky, as has already been said if you were as strong as that feedback says surely they would have picked you up in the pool. I would see if you can get an indication as to what your chances are York is a great uni and you dont want to pass up on it if you dont have a realistic chance of Cambridge.
i agree, although it does seem like you narrowly missed out. If you got rejected again, would you be-able to reapply to and go to York or would they reject you 2nd time around for snubbing them? It wouldn't be nice to end up in a worser pos than before, but you'd still have 4 other choices on you ucas form so hey!

Oh also, remember to consider the fact that there will be loadsa extra people applying next year due to the top of fees, so there will be even more comp!
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Is it really worth putting yourself back a year and spending more time on applications etc when you can just go to an excellent university like York???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
yes, if you have a realistic chance to go to a BETTER uni like Cambridge.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
yes, if you have a realistic chance to go to a BETTER uni like Cambridge.
I think the cons outweigh the pros to be honest.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I think the cons outweigh the pros to be honest.
that's something very personal, it depends on how much value you attach to each argument, e.g. for you another chance to get into cam may not be worth waiting a year, for someone else it is.
Also, you cannot win without risking...
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why don't you redraft your personal statement now based on getting your predicted grades. The redraft would be functional in that you could use it on your ucas but writing things down now will help you decide what you want to do. I think, from your posts, that you really want to go to Cambridge and you will feel like you haven't fulfilled your potential if you go anywhere else. You shouldn't go to another uni if you feel like this because it will really ruin your experience of it. Maybe spend some time finding out about the academics in the department - go meet theem so you can make a really informed decision regarding which college to apply to. Sorry I can't be more help,

Musicboy
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would still discourage reapplication in the majority of cases. It dosn't matter all that much where you do your undergraduate degree as long as you get a good degree from a good institution. As previous posts have suggested, if you were that strong you would have been picked up in the pool, and if it is your GCSE grades which are holding you back, they aren't going to change in a year. It is of course you decision, however, but if it were me and I was absolutely desperate to go to Oxbridge I would go to York and then apply to do the MPhil or BPhil.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would still discourage reapplication in the majority of cases. It dosn't matter all that much where you do your undergraduate degree as long as you get a good degree from a good institution. As previous posts have suggested, if you were that strong you would have been picked up in the pool, and if it is your GCSE grades which are holding you back, they aren't going to change in a year. It is of course you decision, however, but if it were me and I was absolutely desperate to go to Oxbridge I would go to York and then apply to do the MPhil or BPhil.

I disagree; I'd say it was marginally more prestigious to do your BA at Oxbridge than your M/DPhil.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I disagree; I'd say it was marginally more prestigious to do your BA at Oxbridge than your M/DPhil.
The competition actually tends to be far more intense at graduate level, and Oxbridge graduate courses are extremely well-respected. On what basis do you say it's 'more prestigious'??? Once you get into the postgraduate system your undergraduate degree ceases to be so important.

powerball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not trying to put a downer on the situation, but everyone I know who has received their interview report were told they were pretty close... such as "near the top end of the scale" or "She was strong in all categories except the written test" e.t.c. I wouldn't base my decision to reapply solely on the feedback
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The competition actually tends to be far more intense at graduate level, and Oxbridge graduate courses are extremely well-respected. On what basis do you say it's 'more prestigious'??? Once you get into the postgraduate system your undergraduate degree ceases to be so important.

True.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

I understand your point of view but in actual fact I don't think my GCSEs were a problem (7 A*s 2As), but my AS grades (AABB) which I can sort out. I will only consider reapplying if I get all As this time. As for the stuff about the pool, I have a strong feeling that grades must have taken precedence...in fact they might have sieved out the ones with all As first and THEN decided.

Gosh so many mixed views!!!
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have a strong feeling that grades must have taken precedence...in fact they might have sieved out the ones with all As first and THEN decided.

!!
What makes you say that?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I understand your point of view but in actual fact I don't think my GCSEs were a problem (7 A*s 2As), but my AS grades (AABB) which I can sort out. I will only consider reapplying if I get all As this time. As for the stuff about the pool, I have a strong feeling that grades must have taken precedence...in fact they might have sieved out the ones with all As first and THEN decided.

Gosh so many mixed views!!!
I was predicted AABB when I applied to Clare and got an offer... so it may have been more the logic. From the philosophers I know at Clare they do seem to pick people who can give very lucid and logical arguments in discussion.
I suspect some practice at debating points (preferably philosophical ones) would help with interview and examining some more formal logic. One of the philosophers was lamenting the lack of maths and physics they utilise on the philosophy course last night, yet still try to reason about the philosophical problems that are inherently linked to Physics.
Having 4As at A2 won't hinder your application much though I'm sure...

Alaric.
HRH
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by as1)
That is true... I re-applied and got all offers, but perhaps they thought I wasn't going to get a place at cam..... It is so tricky, although one could argue that she is getting her form in early because she has done it before and just wants to hurry the process. Perhaps it would help getting the form in on the 1st Sept when UCAS opens - that way it looks more like she is generally keen than Oxbridge keen. If you submit your form on the 14th Oct, people are going to guess your motivation!

I dunno. Thinking about it, I could just be spouting rubbish

AS
How do you re-apply? I was thinking about it after being 'pooled' this year but not sure whether to risk another rejection. What did you do on the year between? Did you apply to same college and were they bothered that you'd applied before?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
What makes you say that?
Because all the people I know who seem to have got an offer through the pool have all As.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because all the people I know who seem to have got an offer through the pool have all As.
But didn't you say 98% of people had that anyway?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
But didn't you say 98% of people had that anyway?
No that's 3...and thats what they said about that college.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I also think your suggestion is sensible. For pretty much any competitive MPhil/DPhil they will look for a first, and that would keep anyone motivated during their undergrad. study.

As for prestige. Tek, I think what you've said would have been correct about 20, (maybe even 10) years ago. However, if you look at the Rhodes/Marshall scholars (no matter what you think of the Americans, these are very exceptional people) they are pretty much all doing MPhil's now. It wasn't always this way, many of them scholarship students would go onto their second BA, this has changed as Oxbridge have developed/increased their postgrad emphasis. This will defintely continue to happen, as Oxbridge attempt to do battle with the famous 'HYP' triangle.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (239)
61.6%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.64%
No- I want it (105)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.7%

Watched Threads