This discussion is closed.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by powerball)
Not trying to put a downer on the situation, but everyone I know who has received their interview report were told they were pretty close... such as "near the top end of the scale" or "She was strong in all categories except the written test" e.t.c. I wouldn't base my decision to reapply solely on the feedback

Well my feedback from my first interview was not good at all (although I believe my general interview went extremely well). My grades were not all As either and I still got in from the pool
as1
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
I agree - getting a place at York is a great opportunity.
Oh, and if you're going to read a logic textbook I wouldn't go for Hodges as it's been largely discredited. I know the Oxford philosophy department aren't using it for prelims next year because it's just riddled with contradictions and isn't very up-to-date.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
There is a new version which outlines issues of concern about the book and offers solutions. It is recommended as a starting point introduction to Logic only. Though personally I'd go for Guttenplan over Hodges.
as1
Report 16 years ago
I think despite all the comments that have been given on the subject, this is an extremely personal decision.

I am not sure if I could cope with the 'what-if' senario if I were in your position and wanted to go to Oxbridge badly. 'What-if I had tried again' etc.

Gap years are very productive and an extremely good thing to do so there is no harm in just re-applying again if you are happy and want to take a gap year. Don't put your life on hold for Oxbridge though.
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if u think u can get in next year, go for it....cambridge as far as i know is supposed to be amazing, york is good but not in the same league
clara
Report 16 years ago
I'd take issue with some of the replies which state that it would be detrimental to "put yourself back a year" and waste a year of your life. I wouldn't see I gap year like that in the slightest, although I chose to take one I have many friends that decided to re-apply or were offered a deferred place they didn't apply for. All of them agree that it was the best thing that could have happened to them. If you choose to do something productive a gap year can be a far more valuable expereince than going straight to university from school. Also, I think it's a shame that many people who don't choose take a year out are the ones who'd probably benefit most from it. In subjects like English gap years are positively encouraged because they think you will have read more widely and gained more "life experience" (awful term) etc etc. I would have though it would be similar for a course like philosophy.

Oh, and three of my neighbours didn't get in to cambridge but reapplied and were successful, it happens a lot.
Faboba
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
Well my feedback from my first interview was not good at all (although I believe my general interview went extremely well). My grades were not all As either and I still got in from the pool
Everyone keeps going on about feedback. Do you mean that if they reject you they give you reasons why?

Has anyone ever seen the evaluation from their interview ( in the case of those that did get in? ) Is it something you can get to see just by asking or is it unlikely you'll ever find out how you came across in the interview?
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Faboba)
Everyone keeps going on about feedback. Do you mean that if they reject you they give you reasons why?

Has anyone ever seen the evaluation from their interview ( in the case of those that did get in? ) Is it something you can get to see just by asking or is it unlikely you'll ever find out how you came across in the interview?
Yes they do. I got my feedback/evaluation directly from my college and through my school.
Faboba
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Yes they do. I got my feedback/evaluation directly from my college and through my school.
But is there any way to find out what they thought if you were accepted?

They sent a copy to your school. I should have preferred my school not to know why they'd rejected me if they had done.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
first off id like to respect Ashur for getting that far, you did very good hun ( stating the obvious here ) i understand completely about being questionned on the spot with the complex questions they throw infront of you

and just to point out:
a boy who got all a's at AS applied for Nat Sci at Camb, got put on the 'pool' then got rejected
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DazYa)
and just to point out:
a boy who got all a's at AS applied for Nat Sci at Camb, got put on the 'pool' then got rejected
I do not think this is rare.

J.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DazYa)
and just to point out:
almost everyone who applies has almost all As at AS level. If you don't then there is not much point applying. AS levels really aren't that hard if you are willing to put in a bit of time and effort.

MB
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
almost everyone who applies has almost all As at AS level. If you don't then there is not much point applying.
*waves*

AS levels really aren't that hard if you are willing to put in a bit of time and effort.
Exactly, but I did neither!
Faboba
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hell I got Bs for Higher ( read; AS level ) Computing and Chemistry and still got in. As far as I can see your qualifications merely determine whether you are worth considering and then most of it rides on your performance in the interview. I know they say that isn't the case but it seems the only way to explain a good number of seeming anomalies.

On a side note there is at least one article every year in the Scottish papers which can be summarised as:

-----------
Straight A student rejected because of snobbery and prejudice at prestigious University.

Young Billy/Trisha McKormack, a straight A student from some school in Fife applied to Oxbridge to study Law/Medicine/Classics. (S)He has seventeen advanced highers and no friends. "I think it is outrageous that they had the temerity to reject me" says the young victim " It just shows that the admissions boards of Oxbridge are rascist against Scots!

No mention is ever made of the fact that perhaps the kind of person who would write into a newspaper to complain that a university declined their application might just not be the type of person which that university would want to matriculate there, regardless of their 'brilliance'.

This is just a long-term chip on my shoulder and not meant to offend anyone who may have mentioned on this thread that they were declined despite outstanding academic performance. Unless they wrote into the news media to ***** I have nothing but good wishes towards them.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok sorry I was not saying that you need As to apply but that if you are applying then it is likely that you are at a level where straight As shouldn't be too hard. I didn't put in as muc effort as I should so I got some Bs but to be blunt, if you got four Cs then unless you have a good reason they are not gonna take you.

MB
lolita
Report 16 years ago
I've asked my college for any feedback from my interview at st cat's for Eng and they've just said there isn't any- there's about 3000 16-18 yr ppl in the college n they just said it was hard to find out that sort of information what with so much paperwork in the place!! Even so, that doesnt help me... Can I get the feedback directly from the college myself or does it need to go through my referee? Is it that only some ppl get feedback or should I wait longer for it??????? *confused*

Sorry if this questions been asked again and again but I just need some answers!
thanx
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lolita)
I've asked my college for any feedback from my interview at st cat's for Eng and they've just said there isn't any- there's about 3000 16-18 yr ppl in the college n they just said it was hard to find out that sort of information what with so much paperwork in the place!! Even so, that doesnt help me... Can I get the feedback directly from the college myself or does it need to go through my referee? Is it that only some ppl get feedback or should I wait longer for it??????? *confused*

Sorry if this questions been asked again and again but I just need some answers!
thanx
Catz Oxford or Cambridge?
I'm pretty sure Oxford sends out feedback about everyone, but it'll go to your referee. Don't know about Cambridge though.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
Catz Oxford or Cambridge?
I'm pretty sure Oxford sends out feedback about everyone, but it'll go to your referee. Don't know about Cambridge though.
Many colleges don't send feedback about successful applicants. I still have no idea how or why I got in.
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Faboba)
On a side note there is at least one article every year in the Scottish papers which can be summarised as:

-----------
Straight A student rejected because of snobbery and prejudice at prestigious University.

Young Billy/Trisha McKormack, a straight A student from some school in Fife applied to Oxbridge to study Law/Medicine/Classics. (S)He has seventeen advanced highers and no friends. "I think it is outrageous that they had the temerity to reject me" says the young victim " It just shows that the admissions boards of Oxbridge are rascist against Scots!

No mention is ever made of the fact that perhaps the kind of person who would write into a newspaper to complain that a university declined their application might just not be the type of person which that university would want to matriculate there, regardless of their 'brilliance'.

This is just a long-term chip on my shoulder and not meant to offend anyone who may have mentioned on this thread that they were declined despite outstanding academic performance. Unless they wrote into the news media to ***** I have nothing but good wishes towards them.
Hear hear! I really hate those things. People are always citing these articles as evidence for why I shouldn't apply to Cambridge, and using them as a springboard for a discussion on how snobby Oxbridge is, even though they have no experience of either uni whatsoever. And these poor little victims end up at Harvard or some other big name uni, proving that they were wanting to apply to Oxbridge for the prestige rather than the subject.

Adshur: Congrats on getting that far at least. I think you should maybe talk about this with parents or teachers who might be able to point out some arguments you're missing. I'm sure wherever you go you'll do really well
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
some colleges do give slight feedback if you got an offer. nothing detailed though
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
Hear hear! I really hate those things. People are always citing these articles as evidence for why I shouldn't apply to Cambridge, and using them as a springboard for a discussion on how snobby Oxbridge is, even though they have no experience of either uni whatsoever. And these poor little victims end up at Harvard or some other big name uni, proving that they were wanting to apply to Oxbridge for the prestige rather than the subject.

Adshur: Congrats on getting that far at least. I think you should maybe talk about this with parents or teachers who might be able to point out some arguments you're missing. I'm sure wherever you go you'll do really well
Ahh

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=10042
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (150)
60.73%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.45%
No- I want it (69)
27.94%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads