This discussion is closed.
marabara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A few points:

You don't appear to have considered why you really want to go to Cambridge - what do you expect to get out of it? Are you more interested in going to Cambridge than you are in your actual subject?

If you weren't planning on taking a gap year, then you clearly haven't thought about what you'd actually do. If you did take one, then odds are that this would come up in your interview, and Cambridge would probably be interested in what you did. Doing something unlikely to aid you in your degree will count against you.

I wouldn't structure my life around one uni as the odds are probably against you getting in next time round.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marabara)
A few points:

You don't appear to have considered why you really want to go to Cambridge - what do you expect to get out of it? Are you more interested in going to Cambridge than you are in your actual subject?

If you weren't planning on taking a gap year, then you clearly haven't thought about what you'd actually do. If you did take one, then odds are that this would come up in your interview, and Cambridge would probably be interested in what you did. Doing something unlikely to aid you in your degree will count against you.

I wouldn't structure my life around one uni as the odds are probably against you getting in next time round.
Fair point.

She has got an offer from York.

Although she was v.close to getting in.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
A few points:

I understand what you are saying, you made some very reasonable points. Of course, I'm just toying with the idea of reapplying at the moment - to think about it seriously would mean knowing my A2 results, gap year plans etc.

I think in the case of lots of subjects, it really doesn't matter where you go to study them. The maths syllabus may be the same at Cambridge and Leeds for example, but I think somehow philosophy has to be done at a good place or it might look pretty worthless as a degree. Philosophy is more subjective in terms of opinions, ideas, etc. and hence the standard can vary very much. I don't want to go to Cambridge for the name - but moreso for the standard of teaching (being taught by the people i've read numerous books of) and somehow having a bigger and more rewarding challenge for myself. I also only like the analytical style of philosophy which is what Cambridge stress on in their course.

I wouldn't consider reapplying if I hadn't got pooled - but the fact that I did get pooled at such a competitive college and have been told what I underachieved on (something I believe I can correct), then maybe it is worthwhile. Otherwise, I might always regret the decision.

It is a big risk, yes, as I will probably get rejected again. But I will probably really enjoy a gap year - get a chance to have a break from education, get more independent, etc. And I would continue my philosophy at the same time - i think for a subject like this, a gap year is advantageous.

I have emailed Cambridge about it and they say they dont' care what I do in a gap, all they care about is how good I am at my subject.

We'll see - as I said before, it depends on my A2 grades.

But thanks everyone for the advice! Much appreciated
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Eitherway, good luck with the route which you take
marabara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes, I wish you luck - if Cambridge have indeed emailed that opinion to you, then go for it if you are that passionate
ABCD
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
yes, I wish you luck - if Cambridge have indeed emailed that opinion to you, then go for it if you are that passionate

hey just wondering is success rate to get into cambrdige about 3:1 in less popular subjects? roughly - because i know that it varies esp. different colleges...etc
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ABCD)
hey just wondering is success rate to get into cambrdige about 3:1 in less popular subjects? roughly - because i know that it varies esp. different colleges...etc
well yea i think 3:1 is about right maybe 4:1
ABCD
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
well yea i think 3:1 is about right maybe 4:1
i just asked another person and he said 8:1 !!! nevermind
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads