Finding out why you didn't get in Watch

This discussion is closed.
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Has anybody tried to find out why you didn't get in to a certain uni?
I emailed York to ask and they haven't replied. Would it be worth phoning them?
I am just curious really as their rejection was very quick - I need reassurance that there isn't something dramatically wrong with my application.
So what are your experiences with this?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the first reply i got was a rejection from Bristol, and that freaked me a bit.

i had the same feelings as you, but, tbh, rationally, you'd have known if there was something seriously wrong with your application.
Peapod
Rep:
?
I'd just be interested as I know that there are some applicants who are pretty much the same as me who are still waiting for a decision.
I guess I have nothing to lose by phoning them - it will only calm my curiosity!
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i got rejected by LSE....no point phoning up and asking why...they will just say that there is an increased amount of applicants this year.....etc.....

so don't expect to get a valid reason...u will only be dissapointed if u don't....
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nottingham took ages to give me a reply - they tend to send you a really personal letter picking up on things in your personal statement, so I would hazard a guess that more than one Uni does this. I got rejected by them but got an e-mail a few days later asking me if I'd like to transfer to a different course... I said no because the biochemistry of eggs, milk and cheese wasn't of any interest to me - they got a bit stroppy But their first e-mail was picking up on a lot of personal statement stuff.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my teacher told me at school that i got rejected by oxford because 1. i have no dedication to studying law 2. i did completly **** on the written test and they felt i might have been intelligent but just blew it on the day.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Well I think I'm going to ring them next week...
do I just ring the admissions secretary for my subject?
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
Well I think I'm going to ring them next week...
do I just ring the admissions secretary for my subject?
As you said, you have nothing to lose by ringing them, but bear in mind that it's a very busy time for the people involved. There are still a lot of applications to sort through and, for most unis, the exams are just ending and the second semester beginning. Basically, they may be too busy/stressed to give you a proper reason.

The admissions' secretary would be the best person to ring. You said you'd already emailed - have you tried emailing the admissions' secretary directly? If not, try that first.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
my teacher told me at school that i got rejected by oxford because 1. i have no dedication to studying law 2. i did completly **** on the written test and they felt i might have been intelligent but just blew it on the day.
That is just harsh! Who made that judgement?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
Was that what the uni said...or just your teachers' opinion?? Sounds slightly out of order to say that...

G
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If i didnt get in i dont really care why, its too late to change anything now
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
If i didnt get in i dont really care why, its too late to change anything now
But if you could find out early enough why you didn't get in...then it might help with your application to other unis...especially for courses where they interview.

G
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was considering emailing Notts to find out why I didn't get in but I think it would only knock my confidence if they sent me a long list of things that were wrong with me. And if there was something wrong with my personal statment then I'd only end up kicking myself for it. If they just said "It was very competitive this year" then it would be a waste of time anyway. I guess the only think that would make me feel a bit better is if they had to make some stupid selection policy (eg rejecting those without A*A* in GCSE science or something) because the course was so competitive which I hadn't met.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
But if you could find out early enough why you didn't get in...then it might help with your application to other unis...especially for courses where they interview.

G
Maybe, i've usually found with interview they only invite people they are gonna make offers to, that happened at York and the interview at Durham was ofter my offer.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
Maybe, i've usually found with interview they only invite people they are gonna make offers to, that happened at York and the interview at Durham was ofter my offer.
Same here. Mosts chemistry departments are crying out for applicants. When they ask you to come for a visit/interview, they have decided that they want you. The visit is mainly for them to entice you and to make you want to go their university.

The only formal interview I had outside Oxford was at Imperial - the arrogant gits!

J.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
If they just said "It was very competitive this year" then it would be a waste of time anyway. I guess the only think that would make me feel a bit better is if they had to make some stupid selection policy (eg rejecting those without A*A* in GCSE science or something) because the course was so competitive which I hadn't met.
They're ambiguous like that - Notts told me there was too much competition for places on the Zoology course in their original e-mail... bit peculiar though as I was applying for deferred entry, but still, I don't really wanna go there now anyway - I have Edinburrrrgh and Liverpool offers so I'm happy
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1331)
79.65%
Leave (340)
20.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise