shubham_ag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So I know a thread was made on this recently. But this time I have different criteria. I am an international student. So my basic concerns are finding a job after graduation (presuming I get a First obviously). Also I plan on doing an MBA from an Ivy League in the US after grad. So college reputation there. As in if I do my Bsc Economics from Warwick in place of UCL, would it be regarded better or worse?

Or any other general stuff that would help me in making the biggest decision of my life.

If I get my requisite 70% in my first year Delhi university examinations, then I am going to UCL for sure. But if I don't, would Warwick be a good choice??

Please help.
Bulbasaur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL and Warwick are essentially respected the same.

I don't think it would make any diffrence at all.
little_economist:D
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Almost the same, but I would prefer the one where Gandhi went to
danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL, I think it is more respected in the US.

And what makes you certain you will get on an MBA programme at a top Ivy school?
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1. In term of global rep UCL > Warwick.
2. No Ivy League will take you on an MBA straight after graduation.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yoyo462001)
I think that is why he is also concerned about job prospects of warwick and ucl graduates. But still, I don't know if he can be certain that he will get into MBA at a top Ivy. Also, there are some excellent non-Ivy MBA programmes.
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by danny111)
I think that is why he is also concerned about job prospects of warwick and ucl graduates. But still, I don't know if he can be certain that he will get into MBA at a top Ivy. Also, there are some excellent non-Ivy MBA programmes.
Oh okay that makes more sense then, the differences will be negligible in most cases. The only advantage I can think of with UCL is the fact it's in London hence endless networking opportunities.
High As A Kite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL, I think it is more respected in the US.

And what makes you certain you will get on an MBA programme at a top Ivy school?
he quite clearly said he "plans" to...
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by High As A Kite)
he quite clearly said he "plans" to...
Yea well I "plan" to do a PhD in Economics at MIT, and then found my own hedge fund and retire when I'm 42.
eugeneho
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shubham_ag)
So I know a thread was made on this recently. But this time I have different criteria. I am an international student. So my basic concerns are finding a job after graduation (presuming I get a First obviously). Also I plan on doing an MBA from an Ivy League in the US after grad. So college reputation there. As in if I do my Bsc Economics from Warwick in place of UCL, would it be regarded better or worse?

Or any other general stuff that would help me in making the biggest decision of my life.

If I get my requisite 70% in my first year Delhi university examinations, then I am going to UCL for sure. But if I don't, would Warwick be a good choice??

Please help.
Hey,

you are in a similar situation to me back then! I'm also international, also want to do an MBA later in a top US university. International reputation wise UCL definitely beats warwick.

I chose UCL because I want to experience london, more so than conventry. I mean if I'm gonna travel all the way to the UK to study, I'd definitely wanna experience london more than anywhere else. Living in a global city is an experience unmatched. Of course it comes with the networking opportunities etc. but social life is gonna be better as well.
shubham_ag
Rep:
?
(Original post by yoyo462001)
There are some who do, but that is apparently very rare.
But I never said I plan on doing an MBA straight after graduation. I'd work for the appropriate amount of time ( not more than 2-3 years :P ) and then try. Of course I know my quality of work experience would also matter but still from an overall perspective I wanted to know which university would be better and I guess the general consensus is UCL is better.

So, I guess the best possible option for me is to give my first year Delhi University exams. See if I get 70%, if yes then obviously I'd go to UCL, else Warwick is also about the same level.
High As A Kite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yea well I "plan" to do a PhD in Economics at MIT, and then found my own hedge fund and retire when I'm 42.
good for you... my previous point still stands. I fail to see your point actually.
shubham_ag
Rep:
?
(Original post by eugeneho)
Hey,

you are in a similar situation to me back then! I'm also international, also want to do an MBA later in a top US university. International reputation wise UCL definitely beats warwick.

I chose UCL because I want to experience london, more so than conventry. I mean if I'm gonna travel all the way to the UK to study, I'd definitely wanna experience london more than anywhere else. Living in a global city is an experience unmatched. Of course it comes with the networking opportunities etc. but social life is gonna be better as well.
Well thanks for the input mate. UCL is definitely my first choice as well. Living in Central London for the next 3 years of my life sounds too good to be true.
But there is this small concern if I fail to meet my conditional offer requirements. I have to get 70% in my first year and I have heard UCL is pretty strict on its conditional offers.
If I fail to meet it, I was wondering whether Warwick would be a good investment!!
Or if I should continue in Delhi University and try for a masters abroad.

And nice to know man. You have the same career path as me!!
I guess Harvard is your top priority as well. :P

To ALL OTHERS: I PLAN on doing my MBA from an Ivy League which means I aim ti do it and that is why I would like to put in my best efforts towards achieving this aim. Which post of mine made it sound like I am SURE of doing an Ivy League MBA!!! :confused:
eugeneho
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well thanks for the input mate. UCL is definitely my first choice as well. Living in Central London for the next 3 years of my life sounds too good to be true.
But there is this small concern if I fail to meet my conditional offer requirements. I have to get 70% in my first year and I have heard UCL is pretty strict on its conditional offers.
If I fail to meet it, I was wondering whether Warwick would be a good investment!!
Or if I should continue in Delhi University and try for a masters abroad.

And nice to know man. You have the same career path as me!!
I guess Harvard is your top priority as well. :P

To ALL OTHERS: I PLAN on doing my MBA from an Ivy League which means I aim ti do it and that is why I would like to put in my best efforts towards achieving this aim. Which post of mine made it sound like I am SURE of doing an Ivy League MBA!!! :confused:
Hmm I still think that it's worth going to warwick. As most of us TSR would agree, warwick and ucl very similar in standing. So if i were you I'd just firm UCL and place warwick as insurance.

haha yeah harvard MBA is a dream lol.
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warwick is just as respected as UCL in many US schools. I went to Brown after 3 years of working for Citi with a Warwick BSc and I even got funding.

Here's the list of undergraduate institutions of MBA students at Harvard Business School, arguable the best business school in the entire universe.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/perspectives/...titutions.html

Notice that Warwick is represented and UCL is not.
shubham_ag
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Roxas)
Warwick is just as respected as UCL in many US schools. I went to Brown after 3 years of working for Citi with a Warwick BSc and I even got funding.

Here's the list of undergraduate institutions of MBA students at Harvard Business School, arguable the best business school in the entire universe.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/perspectives/...titutions.html

Notice that Warwick is represented and UCL is not.
hehe. I have browsed through that list as well. They have University of London there and since UCL still falls under the UoL umbrella, maybe that's why they haven't mentioned it separately!!

And Brown. Nice. I didn't know Brown had a Full time MBA prog!! The only prog I have heard of till now is the Executive MBA in combination with IE!!
Mr. Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't have an MBA. In other words, MBA was not my postgrad at Brown. But just the same, my Warwick undergrad BSc wasn't an issue when I applied to several US schools for postgrad studies. I received offers from 3 Ivies, amongst others. Brown seemed to have the better funding package for me though.
Mr. Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BTW, about 3 years ago, UCL was in the Harvard's MBA list. So I figured the U of Ls (which has 2, btw) was represented by the 2 of the several small UL federal colleges. Both LSE and King's were in the list, btw. Thus I doubt UCL was represented this year. Just my two cents worth.
nerimon18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL is the fourth-best university in the world, it is also London's Global Univesity meaning it is highly respected around the world.
farhaz_j
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Please help.
go to both open days, talk to students from both universities, have a look at the kind of work they do..remember you're going to be studying economics for 3 years. you better hope you will enjoy it!

i'm saying this because i used to want to study economics at uni also..in fact i used to study the 'is my uni/course combo good enough for ib/consultancy' thread quite religiously lol

whatever you intend to do and wherever you end up, all the best, and i just hope your motive isn't money!

peace
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads