(Original post by matouwah)
everyone has a conscience
How is that a reply to my post :confused:
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a conscience i defined by the boundaries of society of which religion was a foundation and a fore-runner to a code of laws - re: Babylon/Sumer where the first such recorded rules were found -> to modern day law
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
time of ur life what r u studying at Bristol Uni?
Medicine (first year), with a possible year out in the 3rd year for law.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
a conscience i defined by the boundaries of society of which religion was a foundation and a fore-runner to a code of laws - re: Babylon/Sumer where the first such recorded rules were found -> to modern day law

Yes, you need something to base a 'conscience' on. So saying that everyone has one does not explain why morality exists.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
How is that a reply to my post :confused:
sorry me no spekkee englishee to well...please rephrase your post in a more retardish language so i can understand at this late hour abit tipsy..
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Medicine (first year), with a possible year out in the 3rd year for law.
cool - i am applying for straight law - currently on a gap yr
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sergio Delor)
I would like to know if anybody has proof of there religion.
There's no such thing as true proof except mathematical proof. things can only be taken to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. Then the question of what do u define as reasonable comes in. Religion or anything else, for example Newtons laws can never be truely proven, the truth of these can be only be described with varying degrees of likleyness.

In my opinion i believe its very likely religion is an invention of man first through simple superstition then it was developed on as it was realised it would be an excellent device to control people.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sergio Delor)
Yess how do you know that jesus wasnt a crazy man, seeking attention?
Umm, He died, then he came back from the grave, and well then he just left.... Just floated up and away....
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry me no spekkee englishee to well...please rephrase your post in a more retardish language so i can understand at this late hour abit tipsy..
yes, quite.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, you need something to base a 'conscience' on. So saying that everyone has one does not explain why morality exists.
morality exists because of the need to work together - hunter-gatherer tribes had to join and cooperate and the only way they could do this was by trusting each other and through trust a bond developed. Then they became a society - morality exists as a pre-requisite of society and societal values - conscience is whether u abide morally by these fixed rules which denote what and what isnt morality
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cool - i am applying for straight law - currently on a gap yr
Oh, so the bill clinton observation did not go unfounded! Which unis are you applying to? Law does have a certain tastiness to it.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that religion is ficticious and made up to keep ppl from doing crazy ****....i.e killing stealing etc.....thats why they made up this stuff about heaven and hell and that if u sin u go to hell...etc
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
morality exists because of the need to work together - hunter-gatherer tribes had to join and cooperate and the only way they could do this was by trusting each other and through trust a bond developed. Then they became a society - morality exists as a pre-requisite of society and societal values - conscience is whether u abide morally by these fixed rules which denote what and what isnt morality
Yes, I'm not disputing that.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that religion is ficticious and made up to keep ppl from doing crazy ****....i.e killing stealing etc.....thats why they made up this stuff about heaven and hell and that if u sin u go to hell...etc

Otherwise known as a form of social control, I agree with you to an extent.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Otherwise known as a form of social control, I agree with you to an extent.
till what extent?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
till what extent?
As in it's a factor.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As in it's a factor.
u believe in god?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Religion - by the very meaning of its existence - has no undeniable proof.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
u believe in god?
No, I'm an athiest but realise most things concerning religion are only opinions. It's not a science so we can't claim to dismiss beliefs based on our personal outlooks.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am going to be dismissive because we are running into the age-old debate of whether there is a god or not - Religion is there to institutionalise people into certain groups and to provide those people with hope that there is a higher being - personally i do believe in God and that in pursuing religion i am in some way satisfying his requirements of me
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads