Can anybody prove that there religion is correct? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
i think that religion is ficticious and made up to keep ppl from doing crazy ****....i.e killing stealing etc.....thats why they made up this stuff about heaven and hell and that if u sin u go to hell...etc
Made up by who?
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
somebody quite clever....
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
somebody quite clever....
Right.. bit vague to be taken seriously.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Made up by who?
surely our ancestors - to me it evolved from a way of life like the vedic civilisation 10,000 years ago - developed as a way of understanding the cosmos and nature
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
surely our ancestors - to me it evolved from a way of life like the vedic civilisation 10,000 years ago - developed as a way of understanding the cosmos and nature
What makes you think this?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right.. bit vague to be taken seriously.
lol....unforntunately i am unable to be more specific.....what do u expect me to say....a prehistoric hunter/farmer that practised karate and name was Edd the man?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What makes you think this?
proveable from ancient scriptures - what are u intending to propose? = that there was an unearthly existence which introduced it to the people in person? Debatable but amongst a list of possibilities i suppose
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
proveable from ancient scriptures - what are u intending to propose? = that there was an unearthly existence which introduced it to the people in person? Debatable but amongst a list of possibilities i suppose
I am just curious. I am open to all suggestions. It's the closed-minded religious/atheist people which irritate me.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am just curious. I am open to all suggestions. It's the closed-minded religious/atheist people which irritate me.
yeah agreed - although i suppose they are entitled to their opinion
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol....unforntunately i am unable to be more specific.....what do u expect me to say....a prehistoric hunter/farmer that practised karate and name was Edd the man?
You're obviously trying for cheap laughs in what is, otherwise, a serious conversation.

I would expect you to explain it other than as a hunch!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah agreed - although i suppose they are entitled to their opinion
Indeed, but the problem is - they are often very closed to new opinions and get quite aggressive when defending theirs. Therein lies the problem.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're obviously trying for cheap laughs in what is, otherwise, a serious conversation.

I would expect you to explain it other than as a hunch!
my point is that there are countless possibilities....and that all can we questioned as none can be proved....
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my point is that there are countless possibilities....and that all can we questioned as none can be proved....
..or disproved.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After going to a catholic school for most of my life and having a vast knowlege of the classical world I have come to the conclusion that Religion in the past is humans way of explaining things they couldnt and that by believing in something or someone there was always hope whatever the situation.

I'm not saying the catholic church or any religion is wrong. I still go to church. I believe that some catholic morals I have been brought up with can be applied to todays modern day life whereas some of them cannot. I try to live my life by the morals I think are stil relevent in todays world.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
After going to a catholic school for most of my life and having a vast knowlege of the classical world I have come to the conclusion that Religion in the past is humans way of explaining things they couldnt and that by believing in something or someone there was always hope whatever the situation.

I'm not saying the catholic church or any religion is wrong. I still go to church. I believe that some catholic morals I have been brought up with can be applied to todays modern day life whereas some of them cannot. I try to live my life by the morals I think are stil relevent in todays world.
i think that most religions are more or less similar - teaching you to have faith in yourself, and to treat others well. The fact that we live in a primarily CofE country means that children grow up biased towards Christianism and Catholicism - they don't really learn about different religions until they are much, much older, and their original religion has been ingrained into them. Personally, I am more or less an atheist, although I like some of the buddhist ideas. And a few of the Christian teachings seem to have a soothing influence, even though I don't know all the ideas behind them, and what they are saying - the words give hope if you know what I mean. Although the only reason that I enjoyed chapel services at school was to be able to sing the hymns great music to sing.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
i think that most religions are more or less similar - teaching you to have faith in yourself, and to treat others well. The fact that we live in a primarily CofE country means that children grow up biased towards Christianism and Catholicism - they don't really learn about different religions until they are much, much older, and their original religion has been ingrained into them. Personally, I am more or less an atheist, although I like some of the buddhist ideas. And a few of the Christian teachings seem to have a soothing influence, even though I don't know all the ideas behind them, and what they are saying - the words give hope if you know what I mean. Although the only reason that I enjoyed chapel services at school was to be able to sing the hymns great music to sing.
Religions are very similar. Like I said in my earlier post because I have good knowledge of the classical world I know about ancient religion practices. There is no surprise that the religious books of today (the older versions like the old testament) have basically stolen ideas from the ancients. Simply, there is no god.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Religions are very similar. Like I said in my earlier post because I have good knowledge of the classical world I know about ancient religion practices. There is no surprise that the religious books of today (the older versions like the old testament) have basically stolen ideas from the ancients. Simply, there is no god.
yeh, that was what I was trying to tell some friggin' Jehova's Witness when she rung my doorbell last weekend, and tried to persuade me to join their cult..... I spent 10 minutes trying to point out the non-existence of God, and the fact that the inhumanities being commited in Iraq had jack all to do with God, and that God would not help us solve it - we'd have to do it ourselves. But unfortunately, I'd only just woken up..... so I didn't make too much sense of myself
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
4Ed, I read your bio thing. It says you like classical music and piano. Have you ever heard any of Elton Johns early work? In other words when he was a serious musician. If you ever came across them I'd advise buying the albums 'Elton John' , 'Tumbleweed Connection' and 'Madman Across the Water'. They are brilliantly orchestrated masterpieces.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
yeh, that was what I was trying to tell some friggin' Jehova's Witness when she rung my doorbell last weekend, and tried to persuade me to join their cult..... I spent 10 minutes trying to point out the non-existence of God, and the fact that the inhumanities being commited in Iraq had jack all to do with God, and that God would not help us solve it - we'd have to do it ourselves. But unfortunately, I'd only just woken up..... so I didn't make too much sense of myself
If they come around again say to them: 'I am a Roman Catholic and attend church regulary'. They will leave immediatly.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If they come around again say to them: 'I am a Roman Catholic and attend church regulary'. They will leave immediatly.
damn i should bear that in mind next time i made the mistake of saying i was an atheist, and got immediately drawn into a discussion. I was too polite to shut the door in their faces, tho looking back, I probably should have done.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads