The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
matouwah
i think that religion is ficticious and made up to keep ppl from doing crazy shit....i.e killing stealing etc.....thats why they made up this stuff about heaven and hell and that if u sin u go to hell...etc

Made up by who?
Reply 41
somebody quite clever....
Reply 42
matouwah
somebody quite clever....

Right.. bit vague to be taken seriously.
Bigcnee
Made up by who?

surely our ancestors - to me it evolved from a way of life like the vedic civilisation 10,000 years ago - developed as a way of understanding the cosmos and nature
Reply 44
Kurdt Morello
surely our ancestors - to me it evolved from a way of life like the vedic civilisation 10,000 years ago - developed as a way of understanding the cosmos and nature

What makes you think this?
Reply 45
Bigcnee
Right.. bit vague to be taken seriously.

lol....unforntunately i am unable to be more specific.....what do u expect me to say....a prehistoric hunter/farmer that practised karate and name was Edd the man?
Bigcnee
What makes you think this?

proveable from ancient scriptures - what are u intending to propose? = that there was an unearthly existence which introduced it to the people in person? Debatable but amongst a list of possibilities i suppose
Reply 47
Kurdt Morello
proveable from ancient scriptures - what are u intending to propose? = that there was an unearthly existence which introduced it to the people in person? Debatable but amongst a list of possibilities i suppose

I am just curious. I am open to all suggestions. It's the closed-minded religious/atheist people which irritate me.
Bigcnee
I am just curious. I am open to all suggestions. It's the closed-minded religious/atheist people which irritate me.

yeah agreed - although i suppose they are entitled to their opinion
Reply 49
matouwah
lol....unforntunately i am unable to be more specific.....what do u expect me to say....a prehistoric hunter/farmer that practised karate and name was Edd the man?

You're obviously trying for cheap laughs in what is, otherwise, a serious conversation.

I would expect you to explain it other than as a hunch!
Reply 50
Kurdt Morello
yeah agreed - although i suppose they are entitled to their opinion

Indeed, but the problem is - they are often very closed to new opinions and get quite aggressive when defending theirs. Therein lies the problem.
Reply 51
Bigcnee
You're obviously trying for cheap laughs in what is, otherwise, a serious conversation.

I would expect you to explain it other than as a hunch!

my point is that there are countless possibilities....and that all can we questioned as none can be proved....
Reply 52
matouwah
my point is that there are countless possibilities....and that all can we questioned as none can be proved....

..or disproved.
After going to a catholic school for most of my life and having a vast knowlege of the classical world I have come to the conclusion that Religion in the past is humans way of explaining things they couldnt and that by believing in something or someone there was always hope whatever the situation.

I'm not saying the catholic church or any religion is wrong. I still go to church. I believe that some catholic morals I have been brought up with can be applied to todays modern day life whereas some of them cannot. I try to live my life by the morals I think are stil relevent in todays world.
Reply 54
Joey_Johns
After going to a catholic school for most of my life and having a vast knowlege of the classical world I have come to the conclusion that Religion in the past is humans way of explaining things they couldnt and that by believing in something or someone there was always hope whatever the situation.

I'm not saying the catholic church or any religion is wrong. I still go to church. I believe that some catholic morals I have been brought up with can be applied to todays modern day life whereas some of them cannot. I try to live my life by the morals I think are stil relevent in todays world.

i think that most religions are more or less similar - teaching you to have faith in yourself, and to treat others well. The fact that we live in a primarily CofE country means that children grow up biased towards Christianism and Catholicism - they don't really learn about different religions until they are much, much older, and their original religion has been ingrained into them. Personally, I am more or less an atheist, although I like some of the buddhist ideas. And a few of the Christian teachings seem to have a soothing influence, even though I don't know all the ideas behind them, and what they are saying - the words give hope if you know what I mean. Although the only reason that I enjoyed chapel services at school was to be able to sing the hymns :tongue: great music to sing.
4Ed
i think that most religions are more or less similar - teaching you to have faith in yourself, and to treat others well. The fact that we live in a primarily CofE country means that children grow up biased towards Christianism and Catholicism - they don't really learn about different religions until they are much, much older, and their original religion has been ingrained into them. Personally, I am more or less an atheist, although I like some of the buddhist ideas. And a few of the Christian teachings seem to have a soothing influence, even though I don't know all the ideas behind them, and what they are saying - the words give hope if you know what I mean. Although the only reason that I enjoyed chapel services at school was to be able to sing the hymns :tongue: great music to sing.

Religions are very similar. Like I said in my earlier post because I have good knowledge of the classical world I know about ancient religion practices. There is no surprise that the religious books of today (the older versions like the old testament) have basically stolen ideas from the ancients. Simply, there is no god.
Reply 56
Joey_Johns
Religions are very similar. Like I said in my earlier post because I have good knowledge of the classical world I know about ancient religion practices. There is no surprise that the religious books of today (the older versions like the old testament) have basically stolen ideas from the ancients. Simply, there is no god.

yeh, that was what I was trying to tell some friggin' Jehova's Witness when she rung my doorbell last weekend, and tried to persuade me to join their cult..... I spent 10 minutes trying to point out the non-existence of God, and the fact that the inhumanities being commited in Iraq had jack all to do with God, and that God would not help us solve it - we'd have to do it ourselves. But unfortunately, I'd only just woken up..... so I didn't make too much sense of myself :frown:
4Ed, I read your bio thing. It says you like classical music and piano. Have you ever heard any of Elton Johns early work? In other words when he was a serious musician. If you ever came across them I'd advise buying the albums 'Elton John' , 'Tumbleweed Connection' and 'Madman Across the Water'. They are brilliantly orchestrated masterpieces.
4Ed
yeh, that was what I was trying to tell some friggin' Jehova's Witness when she rung my doorbell last weekend, and tried to persuade me to join their cult..... I spent 10 minutes trying to point out the non-existence of God, and the fact that the inhumanities being commited in Iraq had jack all to do with God, and that God would not help us solve it - we'd have to do it ourselves. But unfortunately, I'd only just woken up..... so I didn't make too much sense of myself :frown:

If they come around again say to them: 'I am a Roman Catholic and attend church regulary'. They will leave immediatly.
Reply 59
Joey_Johns
If they come around again say to them: 'I am a Roman Catholic and attend church regulary'. They will leave immediatly.

damn i should bear that in mind next time :biggrin: i made the mistake of saying i was an atheist, and got immediately drawn into a discussion. I was too polite to shut the door in their faces, tho looking back, I probably should have done.

Latest

Trending

Trending