This discussion is closed.
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
In March I should get AAB in my A-levels. I have three questions:

1)Will a good law firm frown or perhaps discriminate against me due to me repeating a year in coolege? Can they find out?
2)Is it worth getting the AAA grades as opposed to the AAB grades?
3)Do they discriminate positively against somebody whom is from two different cultures, yet cant speak any other language apart from English?
1) Discrimination? Perhaps, unless you have a very good reason for it. They may find out and they may not. It kind of depends on how closely HR scrutinises your app.

2. I don't know to be honest. It certainly can't harm. It's necessary to survive the "cuts" i.e. the rounds that HR do to cut down the number of apps they have to deal with. Then your app will be examined more on the other stuff such as responses to questions, work experience etc. You wouldn't be cut purely becasue you failed to get 3 As when you have AAB.

3. No. Firms are governed by strict employment law guidelines which stipulate that they cannot discriminate (postively or negatively) on the basis of race. The equal opportunities monitoring form isn't included in the evaluation process.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So why exactly have you two chosen the law proffesion? Is it the prestige and potential earnings? Or is it more simpler, you enjoy the subject?
Vitriol
Rep:
?
So why exactly have you two chosen the law proffesion? Is it the prestige and potential earnings? Or is it more simpler, you enjoy the subject?
Well, I'm an insomniac for one. Hehe, comes in handy I suppose.

To be honest, I like the prestige associated with the profession and I find it interesting. I don't mind doing the massive hours and I'll get the opportunity to travel. After I did a summer vac scheme, I realised how interested I was.

One word of advice though - Don't do it solely for the money. Sure, you can earn millions if you get to be a hot-shot partner but:

a. You'll hate it if you have no interest in the subject.

b. You can probably make more being a banker anyway (but there is more job security in law).
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, I have to go and catch some sleep. However, I must say that this thread has probably been one of the most useful pieces of information on this forum. I hope to see you (Vitriol) around.

Night Viviki, Night Vitriol.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Well, I have to go and catch some sleep. However, I must say that this thread has probably been one of the most useful pieces of information on this forum. I hope to see you (Vitriol) around.

Night Viviki, Night Vitriol.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz
Cheers, just thought I'd try to set everyone's mind at ease. So many people seem to panic when they don't get into the uni they want for the subject they want. It's not necessary.

I should go to bed too. I've got a piano lesson in the morning but I'm having too much fun playing Battlefield1942.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my case bored of crap job, was forced to take straight out of uni due to complete lack of money. Was working that many hours and we were so short staffed that I was getting home too tired to do job applications and if I was getting interviews I couldnt get the time off work, I've had job interviews in my lunch hour before now just to avoid missing work. Wasnt really sure what i wanted to do, when I graduated i wanted to do something in publishing but its incredibly competitive. Found when i was going to assesment days when I presumed that there would be English grads going for the jobs that there were a lot of law grads and they seemed to be having a better chance. So I figured that Law interested me anyway and I wanted a postgrad so I'd do law. Also one of the girls from my work was working parttime at my place because of the good child care because she had 2 kids but she had done a law postgrad not even at a prestigious uni and she'd walked straight onto a management training retail scheme and before she had the kids was earning 35-40k. So part of it is desire to do something interesting before my brain dies in a crappy job and the other part is the potential to earn decent money.

My local unis are Brum and Wolverhampton but in both cases my hours at work werent really compatible with their parttime courses because I didnt tend to finish til 6 and then its well over an hour travelling to either, then I considered the Open Uni but found that their courses were really expensive. Over £1500 per module for law so it was just as cheap to go to uni full time.
Rang up my uni the August before last because I noticed they had Law clearing places and they would have let me on the course then but I couldnt give a months notice from work without starting late and uni wouldnt let me so i ended up waiting til this year. Filled out my forms nice and early applied for CPE and courses through UCAS and sheffield being an MA was direct application to the uni. Gave my UCAS and CPE forms to my old uni for my tutors to do my reference and they didnt send them off , so i didnt get any offers. I did want to go to Birmingham because it was local and I could have lived at home and saved myself plenty of cash but Sheffield wanted 2 references and my boss did one and because of my problems with my uni they accepted me here with only one reference on the basis of my qualifications. So i'min Sheffield guess its fate because I was going to come here for my undergrad but changed my mind.

And thats my life story
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Where are you doing your CPE Vitriol?
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
In my case bored of crap job, was forced to take straight out of uni due to complete lack of money. Was working that many hours and we were so short staffed that I was getting home too tired to do job applications and if I was getting interviews I couldnt get the time off work, I've had job interviews in my lunch hour before now just to avoid missing work. Wasnt really sure what i wanted to do, when I graduated i wanted to do something in publishing but its incredibly competitive. Found when i was going to assesment days when I presumed that there would be English grads going for the jobs that there were a lot of law grads and they seemed to be having a better chance. So I figured that Law interested me anyway and I wanted a postgrad so I'd do law. Also one of the girls from my work was working parttime at my place because of the good child care because she had 2 kids but she had done a law postgrad not even at a prestigious uni and she'd walked straight onto a management training retail scheme and before she had the kids was earning 35-40k. So part of it is desire to do something interesting before my brain dies in a crappy job and the other part is the potential to earn decent money.

My local unis are Brum and Wolverhampton but in both cases my hours at work werent really compatible with their parttime courses because I didnt tend to finish til 6 and then its well over an hour travelling to either, then I considered the Open Uni but found that their courses were really expensive. Over £1500 per module for law so it was just as cheap to go to uni full time.
Rang up my uni the August before last because I noticed they had Law clearing places and they would have let me on the course then but I couldnt give a months notice from work without starting late and uni wouldnt let me so i ended up waiting til this year. Filled out my forms nice and early applied for CPE and courses through UCAS and sheffield being an MA was direct application to the uni. Gave my UCAS and CPE forms to my old uni for my tutors to do my reference and they didnt send them off , so i didnt get any offers. I did want to go to Birmingham because it was local and I could have lived at home and saved myself plenty of cash but Sheffield wanted 2 references and my boss did one and because of my problems with my uni they accepted me here with only one reference on the basis of my qualifications. So i'min Sheffield guess its fate because I was going to come here for my undergrad but changed my mind.

And thats my life story
Nice. Sheffield is a great uni. I'm not going to say where I do my CPE because it'll give away exactly who I am. I'm one of only a couple of people on my course with a TC. I'll PM you.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lolz just to break the trend, I thought I'd offer an interesting story that my mentor loves to tell me.

He was from a dirt poor home in this part of the world. In those days, international students did not have to pay international fees to study in the UK as they were still regarded part of the commonwealth. Well, this friend of mine got 2Es and a D at A Levels. He scraped up every bit of family savings he could, and went to the UK while handling 3 part time jobs. No university took him with those A Levels, so he had to beg from door to door for a uni to let him read law. He found one, I can't even remember the name because he tells me that it no longer exists! And he got out with a 2.1, did well in his bar and now he's a multimillionaire lawyer who has done some groundbreaking cases in the Privy Council (my Cambridge interviewer was amazed that I knew the guy as he recognised the cases I cited).

Maybe that's just lucky stars or something, but I have been told that aside from having an excellent academic record and all the criteria cited above, firms look for potential lawyers not academics... and I was told that job interviews are crucial. Hehe.. anyway, that was just a lil story I came across that makes me laugh my head off.
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Vitriol)
2. Go to a reputable university. I only had a choice between Durham and Newcastle. I had to stay local because I hadn't fully recuperated after being ill. I was offered a place at Van Mildert, Durham and didn't like it, so chose NCL instead. Very happy 3 years. Don't get hung up if you don't get into Oxbridge. Providing you've been to a highly-regarded uni (something that's research-based or York/ Durham) then you won't have any problems.

DO NOT choose anything that isn't redbrick unless it's Oxford Brookes or UWE! Even if you do choose one of those better, newer unis, there is a great deal of snobbery in the City. It is starting to disappear, albeit very slowly. Fact remains: new universities are not highly-regarded by most London firms. You can get a 1st, have 5 As at A-level and a whole raft of extra-curriculars but you're still likely to lose out.
I'm going to choose Nottingham as my firm choice and East Anglia as my insurance. Would they both be considered reputable enough? Would I be better off choosing Oxford Brookes for my insurance even though it is lower in the league tables?
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by KrazyAngel1)
I'm going to choose Nottingham as my firm choice and East Anglia as my insurance. Would they both be considered reputable enough? Would I be better off choosing Oxford Brookes for my insurance even though it is lower in the league tables?
Are those the only two unis you can put down as your insurance offer?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey Vitriol, what do you think of Durham, Nottingham and Warwick? I intend to choose Durham as firm, NOttingham as insurance but would like to fish for more advice. You seem to be in a position to give sound advice, so it'll be really nice to hear from you.

Thanks
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hey Vitriol, what do you think of Durham, Nottingham and Warwick? I intend to choose Durham as firm, NOttingham as insurance but would like to fish for more advice. You seem to be in a position to give sound advice, so it'll be really nice to hear from you.

Thanks
I almost studied Law at Durham, but changed my mind. Durham kicks ass at law and most of the big American and City firms attend their law fair.

Warwick and Nottingham are very sound choices too. You'd have no problem getting a TC I should imagine if you graduated with a high degree from any of those places.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I almost studied Law at Durham, but changed my mind. Durham kicks ass at law and most of the big American and City firms attend their law fair.

Warwick and Nottingham are very sound choices too. You'd have no problem getting a TC I should imagine if you graduated with a high degree from any of those places.
Thank you very very much Makes me more relieved everytime I hear something good about my choices. It'll still be one hell of a decision deciding where I'll end up at though!
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Thank you very very much Makes me more relieved everytime I hear something good about my choices. It'll still be one hell of a decision deciding where I'll end up at though!
Since they're all such great unis, I'd just advise you to choose the place that you like most i.e. feel most at home at.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Since they're all such great unis, I'd just advise you to choose the place that you like most i.e. feel most at home at.
Unfortunately, I'm an 18 hour plane flight away from the UK.. so the only way I choose is through hearsay, prospectuses, internet guides and advice from teachers and employers. It is all a rather risky business but I don't have much choice. I do agree with you though that I SHOULD feel at home as I'll be away from my home country for 3 whole years! Thanks again.
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
is Queens in Belfast considered one of the best? because i heard it was
KrazyAngel1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are those the only two unis you can put down as your insurance offer?
If I picked Nottingham they would be. The offers I got were:
Warwick AAAD
Nottingham AAB
Birmingham AAB
East Anglia ABB
Oxford Brookes BBB
so if I went for Warwick then I could chose any of the others as my insurance. Why are East Anglia and Oxford Brookes both rubbish for law?
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Me2)
is Queens in Belfast considered one of the best? because i heard it was
I believe that Queens is pretty good.

(Original post by KrazyAngel1)
Why are East Anglia and Oxford Brookes both rubbish for law?
They're not rubbish at all, but you must consider their reputation amongst employers. You would have an greater chance of securing a good training contract by going to Notts/ Warwick/ Birmingham than EA or Brookes. Notts, Warwick and Bham are all big research institutions that have very good reputations across all areas whereas Brookes and EA are less well-known. However, I do know of one person who went to EA and got a Magic Circle TC.

Look at Keele for example. It has a 5*/A rating which is very highly ranked for law but that uni doesn't get the attention of the big firms at law fairs like other unis that are lower ranked for law but have a greater rep overall. Newcastle is a pretty good example of this. Its law school is only ranked 30 or something (much lower than Keele), but still attracts loads of major City and international firms, because of the uni's rep in other areas. Keele, Brookes, EA etc. don't get this treatment.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Could somebody explain the magic circle?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)