This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jenkins)
I think i'll take it for A level 2 because i hav'ent done it for g.c.s.e- i need a basic knowledge! Which uni's did u apply 4 by the way?
I wouldnt recommend it unis will accept it but dont like it that much.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Vitriol)
Surely they went to BPP or Notts for their CPEs though? I've seen the stats and 2/3s of the places are automatically reserved for those with a consortium TC...

Seriously, I get the impression the literature is just trying to market the place a little too much! I'm not even talking about people with the CPE, even those with a law degree straight. Go to a good law school, one of the more traditional ones get a 2:1 in your first/second year. That's really about it, then you get to apply to more than one choice, go for Notts and BPP, use the Coll. of Law as an insurance. You may just get all 3 offers. Incidentally, you're likely to get in even if you don't have any kind of training contract.
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Seriously, I get the impression the literature is just trying to market the place a little too much! I'm not even talking about people with the CPE, even those with a law degree straight. Go to a good law school, one of the more traditional ones get a 2:1 in your first/second year. That's really about it, then you get to apply to more than one choice, go for Notts and BPP, use the Coll. of Law as an insurance. You may just get all 3 offers. Incidentally, you're likely to get in even if you don't have any kind of training contract.
Oh I realise that CoL is usually quite easy to get into despite having no TC etc. I've heard that they'll even draft in extra lecturers if demand dictates.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Vitriol)
Oh I realise that CoL is usually quite easy to get into despite having no TC etc. I've heard that they'll even draft in extra lecturers if demand dictates.
Yeah, that's true. The other two are not easy to get into, but matey, this aint the BCL at Oxford or Harvard Law, really! You need stable grades at a good law school, and no prob., you'd get em both.
Jenkins
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
having some trouble with these abbreviations! what does CPE and BPP stand for?
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jenkins)
having some trouble with these abbreviations! what does CPE and BPP stand for?
CPE= Common Professional Examination- converts a degree in another subject into a Law degree.

BPP= One of the top law schools (among other things) where u can take the Legal Practice Course and the Bar Vocational Course
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I’m a bit late to this thread, but I just really felt the urge to present the other side of the story.

I am doing the LPC at BPP right now, and although it’s very well-organised, it is one of the most tedious things I have ever had to do. Worse, I find at least 60% of the students to be money-obsessed arrogant privileged kids. Bizarrely, the nice kids tend to be the ones without TCs. What does that tell you about the legal profession? (I like to think I am one of the few nice people who slipped through the net and landed a TC at the most laid back City firm out of the list Vitriol posted above

Just visit the discussion board at www.rollonfriday.com (a board where many City lawyers post) and see how depressingly yuppie, misogynistic and all-round crap most of them are. Of course, if you are a Patrick Bateman yuppie-wannabe, you will fit right in at a City firm. Vitriol, you have given some good advice, but your original post about sitting back and watching the cash roll in and stating your salary just irked me greatly.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well done on getting a TC.....what city firm have you got your TC at?
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that link does not appear to work??
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.rollonfriday.com
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
congratulations? more like commiserations for having to do the LPC.

it's rollonfriday dot com, then click on discussion board (i think).
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Me2)
http://www.rollonfriday.com
<shudders>
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the rollonfriday site is really good! found the insider bit VERY helpful! what are you on about?? all the people seemed fine on the discussion boards!
Vitriol
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyd)
I’m a bit late to this thread, but I just really felt the urge to present the other side of the story.

I am doing the LPC at BPP right now, and although it’s very well-organised, it is one of the most tedious things I have ever had to do. Worse, I find at least 60% of the students to be money-obsessed arrogant privileged kids. Bizarrely, the nice kids tend to be the ones without TCs. What does that tell you about the legal profession? (I like to think I am one of the few nice people who slipped through the net and landed a TC at the most laid back City firm out of the list Vitriol posted above

Just visit the discussion board at www.rollonfriday.com (a board where many City lawyers post) and see how depressingly yuppie, misogynistic and all-round crap most of them are. Of course, if you are a Patrick Bateman yuppie-wannabe, you will fit right in at a City firm. Vitriol, you have given some good advice, but your original post about sitting back and watching the cash roll in and stating your salary just irked me greatly.
LOL. Why did you pick the name "Lyd"? Are you an admirer of the great woman from RoF?
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The insider bit is helpful if you care about salaries. And if you lurk at the ROF board for a longer period of time and still find it fine, then congrats, City law is for you. I’m at least glad that Llamaboy, like me, shudders at the thought of ROF.

Vitriol, my parents chose the name.
JrW
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i agree with you....ROF is rather eye-opening at the arrogance, greed and everything about these lawyers at city law firms...of course there are probably some that are extremely nice but i reckon a majority are quite greedy for money etc......however, i still want to study law at uni and possibly prove all of those people wrong that you dont have to be greedy and arrogant to get into a MC firm or even take a different route
Lears_Fool
Report 16 years ago
OI!!

You lot are giving RoF a hard time. There are, admittedly a fair number of "contentious" characters who create shallow and somewhat distasteful personas, however I would submit that the majority of the discussion is intended to provide inane diversion from otherwise stressful days.

Does no one else sense the irony in aposter called Vitriol accusing others of acting out his name? Perhaps it is simply that some sense without that which they find in abundance within?

Honestly. Students.
Vitriol
Rep:
?
*Salutes @ LF*
mummy s
Report 16 years ago
"i agree with you....ROF is rather eye-opening at the arrogance, greed and everything about these lawyers at city law firms...of course there are probably some that are extremely nice but i reckon a majority are quite greedy for money etc......however, i still want to study law at uni and possibly prove all of those people wrong that you dont have to be greedy and arrogant to get into a MC firm or even take a different route"

It would seem that this thread is rather eye-opening at how seriously some people take themselves and others.

You're really going to have to develop a sense of humour when you get out into the real world.
eugenie
Report 16 years ago
LMAO

wow, I guess you rumbled us good huh lyd.

yes, working as a city lawyer is JUST LIKE posting on rollonfriday.com. There's usually a jovial old queen handing out prizes for the wittiest comment of the day, and every friday you can't move for the seething mass of bodies as the horn takes hold.

one last thing though. Patrick Bateman was a banker, not a lawyer. Here's a tip which will help you in whatever profession you choose - if you want to make a litarary reference, go read the book first.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads