The Student Room Group

Does anyone honestly regret voting Conservative in May?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OceanInTheSky
No.

But this is what tends to happen, so I'm not surprised in the slightest that Labour are ahead in the polls again. It's just a vicious cycle of:

- Labour spend too much
- People get fed up
- Conservatives come in and have to make cuts and raise taxes, etc... to get the money back
- People hate them for it
- People go back to Labour
- Repeat

Too right. We cant keep spending money we dont have. Unless we want to end up like Greece. :rolleyes:

People that are complaining. Do you know how interest works when you borrow money? In 2006 we finally managed to pay back the last of our World War loans from the US.

Outstanding WWI loans, Britain owed to US in 1934 £866m, adjusted by RPI to 2006 is £40 billion. Our current deficit is £180 billion. Wonder how long it's going to take us this time.
Reply 21
I would have voted Labour if I had been 18, simply because I know my MP (John Denham) and get on well with him. Also, the Tory candidate is/was an idiot. I didn't agree with many parts of the Lib Dem manifesto, but I don't particularly care that they formed a coalition with the tories, if their manifesto is good at the next election I'll still consider them.

Ed Miliband is still a nothing-man. I can understand being a nothing-man for the first few weeks of your leadership. But in the last PMQs for example, I thought he was absolutely clueless. He hasn't offered anything despite being leader of the opposition for some time now. So if I had to vote tomorrow it'd probably be for the conservatives. Hopefully something good will rise out of the ashes of the Lib Dems (I don't realistically expect them to survive after this government) and maybe some disillusioned Labour members.
Reply 22
Original post by yummychocolate
Too right. We cant keep spending money we dont have. Unless we want to end up like Greece. :rolleyes:

People that are complaining. Do you know how interest works when you borrow money? In 2006 we finally managed to pay back the last of our World War loans from the US.

Outstanding WWI loans, Britain owed to US in 1934 £866m, adjusted by RPI to 2006 is £40 billion. Our current deficit is £180 billion. Wonder how long it's going to take us this time.

UK total debt will never be repayed in the sense you are suggesting.
Original post by ChrisBan
UK total debt will never be repayed in the sense you are suggesting.

I know but we must balance the economic cycle. We dont need to pay off the cyclical debt, automatic stabilisers will correct that. But Labour did engage in discretionary spending causing disequilibrium to the cycle. I was putting the debt into retrospective.
(edited 13 years ago)
If I were 18 I would have voted tory, now I am 18, I would vote tory if there were another election.

For the most part I am pleased with what the government is doing. I was disappointed with defense cuts, and the scrapping of BSF. Mostly however, I am annoyed about not being able to tackle the EU.

Also I am pleased about the introduction of the Lib Dem policy of increasing the threshold at which you start to pay income tax. If we could afford it I would like this to be raised substantially, offset by the reductions in benefits.
Original post by Teaddict
I did vote Conservative and I also campaigned for them; a lot...

Although I do not regret voting Conservative per se, I am deeply annoyed at the cuts to defence and police. The defence cuts are nonsensical and ridiculous. They are destroying our fleet of Nimrod aircraft in an attempt to save £2bn over the next decade... £2n? You are heavily risking our defence capabilities over £2bn? We lost £4.5bn by introducing the 50% tax band and you are telling me you seriously cannot find £2bn to save these aircraft?

You can maintain the National Health Service and you can maintain International Development but you can't find £2bn to spend on defence? What a load of ****ing bull**** that is.

I am also unimpressed by the European Union issue as well... and law and order policies.

In short, over three very important issues (defence, law and order, Europe), I am seriously unimpressed. Over the most important issue, the economy, I am still waiting to see what they do before I make up my mind.

Long story short: Voted Conservative, I don't regret it because they were the only choice for someone of my political stance but I am seriously ****ed off.

I thought you used to lean slightly further right than the Tories? :holmes:
Was it a case of choosing the party who might actually stand a chance of getting elected?

I didn't vote Tory, I regret nothing but the stupidity of other people. Obviously the 80's were too far back to remember...
Reply 26
Original post by Drunk Punx
I thought you used to lean slightly further right than the Tories? :holmes:
Was it a case of choosing the party who might actually stand a chance of getting elected?

I still lean to the right of the Tories. In my constituency it's a race between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives. It's also a case of I have a greater chance of a political career with the Tories. :rolleyes:

I didn't vote Tory, I regret nothing but the stupidity of other people. Obviously the 80's were too far back to remember...

Depends on the person. A lot of people did very well under Thatcher. It's like all prime ministers - they can't please everyone. There will always be some who love them and some who don't.
Reply 27
Original post by qwerty_mad
After the disastrous start to their reign, does anyone regret voting them in? Or, even regret voting their partners in crime, the Lib Dems?

Given that they're doing what they said they would do, no, I don't regret it.
Reply 28
I regret that the Lib Dems aren't having as much influence as I might have liked on certain issues, and I will probably vote Labour in 2015. But there was no way i was voting Gordon Brown back in, so I don't know what else I could have done really.
I regret voting.

Reply 30
I voted Lib Dem. So, yes, I voted Tory, and I regret it.
Reply 31
Wait, at the student room, we're all students...

So do none of you mind losing your EMA and paying three times the amount of the previous generation to go into further education?

Don't tell me you care that much about the economic state of the banks.
Original post by 03shisac
the coalition means they've not got much choice.

They had a choice at the beginning - could've told DC to **** off.
Reply 33
Not happy about many policies the Government are implementing. Thinking about letting my membership expire, although I know and like my MP.
Original post by mindlessinvalid
i wish labour had to stick around to fix the mess they made buti still like conservative (apart from the uni fee crap)

See, this is the thing with Tory voters. They are all for cuts when their detrimental consequences are mainly felt by the poor. But as soon as a policy comes in that affects you you don't like it.

So really, on balance, you can't blame the working class for not liking Conservatives, because their policies always affect us, and you disagree with the one policy that highly affects you. As you can see, this is why the working class disagree with all of their policies. The other thing with Tories, is that they may do good in the long term, but it always comes at a massive cost for the most vulnerable. They always go on about being in it together and having to suffer in order to improve, but it's never really those who are secure that suffer, it's the ones that really could do without suffering.
Reply 35
Yes. I didn't even really want to vote for them. I didn't know who to vote for so just looked at my mum's ballot paper and copied her. :\
Reply 36
I slightly regret voting lib dem, purely due to their going back on their stance on university fees, however in my constituency there was little chance of the party i charge changing, my university consituency is Ming campbells so lib dems hold the majority and back hope conservartives have a very strong lead.
Original post by OceanInTheSky
No.

But this is what tends to happen, so I'm not surprised in the slightest that Labour are ahead in the polls again. It's just a vicious cycle of:

- Labour spend too much
- People get fed up
- Conservatives come in and have to make cuts and raise taxes, etc... to get the money back
- People hate them for it
- People go back to Labour
- Repeat

This is exactly how I feel. No political party speaks for me anymore. For the record I voted for the lib dems last time and the only thing that consoles me about that is that they won't exist after the next election.
Original post by Teaddict
I still lean to the right of the Tories. In my constituency it's a race between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives. It's also a case of I have a greater chance of a political career with the Tories. :rolleyes:

Ahh, I see. What sort of career are you wishing to go into?
Reply 39
I've seriously began to give up on politics. Not just the Conservatives (although I am quite anti-Tory)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending