The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6460
Original post by Llamageddon
Oh, I've been given the opportunity to choose a commercial link feeder club. They're "letting me choose" meaning that I can pick any club and they will try to arrange feeder status with them.

I've heard that if you buy a Japanese bench warmer and get a japanese feeder club you make millions from it. I do however have 2 solid and capable US players in my squad but I hear they don't care so much about that. Which nation should I go for? and which club?

Presuming you've already done this by now, but personally I like to have 2-3 feeder clubs from the nation of the club I'm managing because I sign a huge amount of talented regens and I need to send them on loan for experience but keep them in the country so they get home grown status.
Reply 6461
This season I sold practically all of my experienced players over the age of 25 who weren't amazing and replaced them with all my youth players under 21. Currently 5 games from the end of the season with a 6 point lead and a semi final to look forward to in the CL after knocking out Barcelona.

I think you just need actual wonderkids to blood in rather than generic youth players with potential. The likes of Scipio, my Argentine regen, has kept 1 of Hamsik or Gerrard out for the whole season and my oldest central defender is Ryan Shawcross. Even Reina got dropped for Areola for a few games!
Reply 6462
Original post by Nut.
Presuming you've already done this by now, but personally I like to have 2-3 feeder clubs from the nation of the club I'm managing because I sign a huge amount of talented regens and I need to send them on loan for experience but keep them in the country so they get home grown status.

The only reason I don't like doing that is that there is no guarantee that they will play so their progress will be stunted. I just loan them all out for free to any club in my country that will have them and has valuable first team member in the description.
Otherwise it is better just having them at your club with your training facilities.
Damn this thread. I give up, I'm playing some FM. :dry:
Original post by Mess.
This season I sold practically all of my experienced players over the age of 25 who weren't amazing and replaced them with all my youth players under 21. Currently 5 games from the end of the season with a 6 point lead and a semi final to look forward to in the CL after knocking out Barcelona.

I think you just need actual wonderkids to blood in rather than generic youth players with potential. The likes of Scipio, my Argentine regen, has kept 1 of Hamsik or Gerrard out for the whole season and my oldest central defender is Ryan Shawcross. Even Reina got dropped for Areola for a few games!

I agree. Although to be fair, there was one spanish regen ander ruiz from my youth squad, he was average and made loads of mistakes when I played him, then an injury crisis happened and tiago illori was injured so I had to use ander ruiz and another wonderkid who actually had very good stats, ander ruiz then improved immensely and he's now my best centre back.

You just need a lot of patience with some players, I find it easier to help blood the defence than it is to blood strikers in as they can lose confidence when the media complain about them having a dry spell. In fact I always have a striker problem in FM if I don't spend big. I got one for free, he then becomes amazing and gets 20 goals a season, 2 seasons later he turns into van persie and gets a yearly injury around march.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Not much of a problem if you know how to use the wonderkids properly. I buy romario every season for peanuts, I shuffle him around with carlos martinez, when martinez is surplus to requirements I get rid. I got 8 two seasons in a row, despite having a good start to the first season and bottling top 4 and doing an everton the next season and finishing 8th again.
It’s not about not buying wonderkids, it’s balancing it when you can usually buy superior, cheaper, older players who can immediately fill a role. For the most part I buy wonderkids to bolster the size of my squad or to give rest to ageing players with the hope of eventually replacing them.

I buy “hot prospects” to replace the wonderkids.
Original post by Nut.
This was a commercial link. I went for New York Red Bulls. Sheffield Wednesday are my feeder club but I don’t know whether to get another as some of my young players act as good cover, some can find loan opportunities in top flight leagues (that are running) and some I want to train a certain way, so loaning out ~5 players at a time is fairly OK. For the sake of peanuts a year though I should probably be looking for a second feeder team and could possibly sign a larger contingent of cheap but promising youngsters intending to sell them later (even as premier league champions Everton need to sell a lot of talent to come close to competing with bigger teams).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6466
Original post by Mess.
The only reason I don't like doing that is that there is no guarantee that they will play so their progress will be stunted. I just loan them all out for free to any club in my country that will have them and has valuable first team member in the description.
Otherwise it is better just having them at your club with your training facilities.

Whenever I put my regens up for loan hardly any of them are taken on by clubs from my country... All the clubs in Italy and Spain want them.
I put them up for general loan first, as you say, but after that I go for my feeder clubs.
I've never yet had a problem where a player hasn't been given enough games.

Then again, I only sign regens with ungodly current ability and amounts of potential, so they're easily the best player in any team lower than me in the league.

I let a certain amount of them stay in my reserves with my training facilities, but when you have 20 or so 18/19 year olds, they aren't going to get a lot of game time in the reserves either, so I can't really win :tongue:.

Or rather, I could win, but I just can't help myself signing every 4 star regen that comes along, rather than signing them on a needs basis. :colondollar:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
:zomg: He's immense!

In the last game he played (the one after he became record goalscorer), he scored five, taking his tally up to fifty-six goals in thirty-nine games. If he hadn't been injured so much he could have broken every record possible.
The new CL registration rules confused me. You need 4 domestic HG players and 4 club HG players?

If I loan a youngster out during that registration period, would he lose his club HG status for a domestic HG status?
Original post by Llamageddon
It’s not about not buying wonderkids, it’s balancing it when you can usually buy superior, cheaper, older players who can immediately fill a role. For the most part I buy wonderkids to bolster the size of my squad or to give rest to ageing players with the hope of eventually replacing them.

I don't spend ridiculous amounts on wonderkids, I bought one 21 year old (was a leading midfielder for man united and on 40k wages who I then sell for 25 million a few seasons later) for 11 million and romario for 1 million, besides that I use the rest from my youth squad and blooded them in barcelona style.

Most of my wonderkids have been free transfers who've worked really well for me as a squad player. I replaced griezmann and xabi prieto with free youngsters who were better than they ever were for me. I think maybe it's my game. But I found that I got a crap load of free transfers who were exceptional(I have very good scouts as well)
Damn this thread. I give up, I'm playing some FM. :dry:

Haha you say to yourself I'll only play for an hour, you'll end up probably three hours or more on it.
Original post by Kruz
Haha you say to yourself I'll only play for an hour, you'll end up probably three hours or more on it.

Nah!

Spoiler

Hmm, does anyone have this particular problem. I put my player in the B squad for a few years, then they end up not progressing as a player? Is it supposed to be like that?
Nah!

Spoiler

Happened to me I said Hour and a half only. I ended up staying for like 4 hours :laugh:
Just been on FM after a few days off due to revision. Managed to beat Swansea 2-0 in the League.

Also beat Wolves 3-2, going 1-0 up inside 30 seconds but annoyingly they scored 2 in 2 minutes to go 2-1 up. I had to wait until the 80th minute before Barnett equalised and Bradley Johnson scored a penalty in the 85th minute. Unfortunately, Russell Martin got injured so I only have an 18 year old right back I got from Chelsea's U18s. Now 4 points clear of Wolves who were a point and a place behind me before the match.

Humorously, Andre Villas-Boas has been sacked after only about 3 months in charge of Aston Villa for getting them to 11th.
I just got automatic promotion to League 1 with Darlington after finishing in 3rd. I can't see me doing very well next season though, seeing as I have zero money and can't being anyone in. :frown:
I hate it when you know your team has gotten worse in a season.
Original post by Dalimyr
Simple answer? Spend your ****ing cash first so the owners don't have any to divvy up amongst the suits. The way business works is that when a company makes a profit, some profit will be re-invested into the business and whatever's left goes in the shareholders' pockets. If all of your profit is being gobbled up by the shareholders, the owners presumably feel you've got adequate resources available in the club coffers and don't need further investment, so they'll gleefully pocket the lot. As a random side-point, only major shareholders actually make any real money from it, of course. Before the bastard Glazers came along, I had a single share in Man Utd that my parents got me as a present for my 18th birthday and at the end of the season I got a little shareholders report booklet and a dividend cheque for a penny :lol:

I felt rather attached to the Wolves team I played in the older game, but I decided I would start a new game once the January patch came out...so I've decided to have another shot at bringing a bit of glory to Wolves in a season where it looks fairly inevitable that they'll be getting relegated in real life :frown: Rather depressingly, Leigh Griffiths who I relied on so much in my original game has been nerfed - compared to the 17 finishing, 17 acceleration and 16 pace he had in my old game, which made him absolutely lethal in front of goal, he's now got 13 finishing, 15 acceleration and 13 pace. In his time on loan at Hibs, rather than getting a goal a game like he did with me in my old game, he played 33 games and scored only 7...in the SPL. I'm not exactly optimistic about his chances in the Premiership :frown: Might keep him in the reserves for now and loan him out to a Championship side, see how he does there and then re-evaluate him.
Transfers haven't been too major. They sold Ronald Zubar (who in my old game was a backup anyway) and brought in Steven Whittaker, so I'm sure that between him and Foley I'll have no issues at right-back. More interestingly, they also brought in Jordan Rhodes (who in real life has been damn near unstoppable at Huddersfield in League One), who's been doing pretty damn well, too - 21 games and 11 goals. Aside from that, it's the rest of the real-life Wolves squad, though I'll be losing a bunch of reserve players in a month when their contracts run out (the only one I may regret losing is Jody Craddock, but I'm sure I can find a better and much younger DC for the eight grand a week he's on)

So, in 2011/12, Wolves finished 15th but were only 4 points above the relegation zone, they conceded more goals than any other team in the league by quite some way and had the third-worst goal difference (ahead of Blackburn and Swansea in 19th and 20th respectively). They don't seem to have a big problem with scoring, but I need to decide whether or not they need further investment in the defence. I don't quite understand why Dorus de Vries played nearly half the games in the season rather than the much better Wayne Hennessey, and that likely contributed to the high volume of goals conceded, but I need to look at the defence in general, to see if there are other obvious issues.

But in real life, many football shareholders (take stoke for an example) the owners dont take out dividends.
Sometimes I love playing really crap teams.
Busquets wants to leave, ffs. If I can get £35m for him I'll let him go, but may just keep him and hope he changes his stance.

Won the league for the third time in a row, but went out of the CL in the first round - either win it or go out before the semis. Annoying.

Latest