Can you be a member of two political parties at once? Watch

Mittalmar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey I want join a new party. Just wondering whether it was illegal to be a member of two parties at once?
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not illegal but it's quite possible you'll be expelled from one or both parties if they find out. Probably against their rules.
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't see why not - but why would you want to? Which parties?
Dogatonic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not without annoying a whole bunch of people.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not illegal and you can donate to two parties if you wish, however, if one or both find out you will most likely be expelled from the party.
Kraigie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Where its probably not illegal in its self, it could lead to illegal activities depending on the positions and intentions within each party. However, not all political parties have a platform or intention to form a government and not all parties are active in all areas of the UK e.g Green Peace or Shinn Fein. If we have a look at Green Peace there policies might be very similar to that of say Liberal Democrates. So for example people who are members of Green Peace will perhaps vote Green in local elections, but in general elections vote for a member of another party because either they dont have a candidate running to be MP or they have concern over which party will form the government. So in summery I think it depends who and why.
AlasdairFraser1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That well know political party Green Peace ...
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My brother got handed a form to sign up for Labour party membership when he was at the House of Commons talk about FDI.On the form there was a tick-box saying that you promise that you are not a member/ affiliated with any other political party in the UK. I'd imagine other parties have similar things.
jillymayr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not technically
Comus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not illegal (explicitly) but it is certainly frowned upon and might constitute a breach of contract.
WharfedaleTiger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its not illegal but most parties don't approve (particularly if you're active for another party) and they've expel you.
peejay69
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So the answer is for a group of 5 friends to each join a different party and exchange notes.
I also find it a bit disconcerting that there may be secrets within a particular party, but I guess that's the nature of politics and why there are so many scandals and embarrassing leaks!
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by peejay69)
So the answer is for a group of 5 friends to each join a different party and exchange notes.
I also find it a bit disconcerting that there may be secrets within a particular party, but I guess that's the nature of politics and why there are so many scandals and embarrassing leaks!
It's more the principle of joining more than one party. They want you to be motivated and interested in their party, not others too. Also, joining a different party may come across as you not being dedicated or just there for other intentions.

I've joined a party, and i'm sure if I joined another and the local office found out they wouldn't be very happy, particularly since I've been doing a lot of campaigning.
peejay69
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I get that, but personally I am more interested in what they say behind closed doors than the rhetoric they come out with for the general public. As I am not aligned with one particular party, I would like to find out more about all the parties and the only way to do that is from within. I'm sure they wouldn't like that as I believe they all come out with things to members of their particular political affiliation that they would not say in public. Being in a closed circle, only discussing things with like minded people in no way expands thinking, this may well be why even cabinet ministers come out with complete rubbish, which they can't justify in the real world on programs like the Today Program on Radio 4 whilst talking to the likes of John Humphfrys. I was getting the emails from one well known party during the election campaign which was clearly directed to like minded / converted people if you like, it was this made me interested in what the others had to say.
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by peejay69)
Yes I get that, but personally I am more interested in what they say behind closed doors than the rhetoric they come out with for the general public. As I am not aligned with one particular party, I would like to find out more about all the parties and the only way to do that is from within. I'm sure they wouldn't like that as I believe they all come out with things to members of their particular political affiliation that they would not say in public. Being in a closed circle, only discussing things with like minded people in no way expands thinking, this may well be why even cabinet ministers come out with complete rubbish, which they can't justify in the real world on programs like the Today Program on Radio 4 whilst talking to the likes of John Humphfrys. I was getting the emails from one well known party during the election campaign which was clearly directed to like minded / converted people if you like, it was this made me interested in what the others had to say.

To be honest, if you were to join a party the most you would hear "behind closed doors" is the bickering about other members / councillors hating on other council members of the same party etc.
The real discussions happen at a higher level within the party, which would be difficult to get to unless you are really involved and well known.

Why don't you join the Facebook group's of the various parties? That would give you an idea of what goes on (what party members discuss).

I've joined the FB group of the party I've joined, and you'll find that actually party members are aware of the strengths of the other party and what they've done successfully, they obviously just don't admit it in public. Frequently you will hear "Despite the fact (insert party) has managed to achieve this which is brilliant and something we should have done earlier, we can argue against it by saying..."
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Usually parties don't like it, but there are exceptions. Ed Balls for example is a member of both Labour and the Cooperative Party, which work closely together and field joint candidates in elections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (145)
24.37%
Pop (145)
24.37%
Jazz (26)
4.37%
Classical (34)
5.71%
Hip-Hop (104)
17.48%