How do people forget things when drunk?

Watch
Astra_K
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This is something which ive wondered for a while.
I sometimes get very drunk, but very rarely do i forget anything. If i do forget something it will be something unimportant like walking from one club to another, a taxi ride home, going to bed etc.

I dont see how some people forget having sex or getting with someone. I guess alcohol affects people in different ways but i dont see how you can actually have sex with someone and forget about it the next day....
Ciaran88
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They don't, it's just an excuse.
Xhotas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Eyeballing.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have forgotten things when I'm very drunk. I think it's because I fall alseep though. Then I wake up and I have no idea what happened.
leycrjb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it's something big you'll usually remember it. I've forgotten small things like conversations countless times, but I definitely remember if something important has happened.
Astra_K
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Ciaran88)
They don't, it's just an excuse.
Thats what i think tbh. If you're that drunk, its difficult enough to maintain a hard on let alone have sex and forget about it.
spammoclocks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i think its sometimes thing you want to forget - but if you discuss the night, you can remember it. i dont think they forget, thats just a disguise
-Invidious-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im usually so blitzed I forget everything except minor flashes. I heard it might be genetic.
Chr0n
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends on how drunk you are. I had one time, where I am still missing several hours...
UPPSY
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's the brain shutting now no vital things to keep the body alive remembering while important isn't as important as other things (this was explained to me on a RSA course in Bondi Australia)
this is why you forget things when really drunk, this will happen more when you have got drunk at a young age because your brain isn't ready for the drink and it gets affected
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If someone has truly forgotten (and isn't using it as an excuse) it's a temporary form of anterograde amnesia. This is where the brain's ability to transfer short-term memory into long-term memory is impaired.

It does affect people in different ways and it's usually dependent on how quickly the alcohol is consumed, as opposed to how much has been drunk in total.

EDIT: If you've seen Memento, it's a lot like that Except, as I said, temporary.
TShadow383
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Astra_K)
This is something which ive wondered for a while.
I sometimes get very drunk, but very rarely do i forget anything. If i do forget something it will be something unimportant like walking from one club to another, a taxi ride home, going to bed etc.

I dont see how some people forget having sex or getting with someone. I guess alcohol affects people in different ways but i dont see how you can actually have sex with someone and forget about it the next day....
It's something to do with the way alcohol effects your brain chemistry, get enough in there and you lose the ability to record memories properly.

Anyone who likes to think that it doesn't happen to them clearly has never been seriously seriously drunk

I once forgot having sex (with my girlfriend, thank ****) but apparently I was still pretty good, so it's all okay in the end
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia

I had this last saturday, no it is not cool it is scary as ****. I remember everything up to a point then I was walkin, talkin, drinkin and trying to get with a girl and I have absolutely no recollection of the events.

I'm also like you and have never forgotten anything that happened!
Joker370
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was more to do with how quickly you and how often you drink, rather than how much you drink over a night. I forget quite a lot, but only when I set out to get horribly pissed.
DanielleT192
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I've ever been the point of being drunk that I can't remember things but I'm not a heavy drinker and kinda know my limits lol. Would hate not remembering things like sex though!
secret_smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I never had one of those experiences when I'm missing "a couple hours of life" as my friends have described...
But on a few occasions I haven't remembered saying something or the names of bars I had gone etc.

Or those awful moments when you find a photo of yourself on facebook looking trashed and have no recollection of it being taken. :erm:
missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Best way I can describe it is like trying to remember a dream.
dirtyoldriver
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had this opinion until I really did forget a large portion of the night. Last thing I remember was being sick, it was just little things that freaked me out the next morning like seeing calls to my boyfriend on my phone that I had no recollection of making. I think in a state like that it is possible to forget even significant events (and I'm definitely avoiding it in the future, it was an accident )

Saying that, people saying they 'forgot' stuff when they were still able to walk and talk are talking BS and it's just an excuse.
ktm89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it depends on how drunk you get. With me, I tend to remember most things, but if I don't it often comes back to me later the next day.
Wasted Wrath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I recorded one time that I got so drunk I didn't remember anything. Weird **** happened man. Weird ****...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads