The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships? Hidden exploitation..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm doing an apprenticeship for Media, events and publicity and am getting paid £320 a week. When searching for apprenticeships, I found that the salary depended largely on the industry you were applying into. I'll be the first to admit though that finding a decent wage is tricky. Prior to this I was offered £2.70 an hour for a 37 hour one :-/
Reply 41
£50 a week doesn't seem like exploitation when they're being marketed as an alternative to paying £9000 per year for university
Reply 42
The way that apprenticeships were, and still are, traditionally used was and is totally acceptable.
For example in engineering, etc where the time frame and amount of on job learning / study required to gain the necessary qualifications to begin your career is considerable.

However, nowadays it's obvious that many employers are using them as an excuse to pay as little as possible without falling foul of the minimum wage laws. I mean, I saw an advert for an Apprentice Garden Centre Retail Operative the other day...! When I left school I can not remember there being any apprentice admin assistants or apprentice call centre operatives; now they seem common place.

A guy I work with, whose wife is a hairdresser, openly told me that she always has an apprentice working for her. Once their apprenticeship is up she lets them go, waits a couple of weeks, then advertises for another "apprentice".

Apprenticeships are good for certain people getting started in certain industries but there should be more control over those who are simply masking a poorly paid job with the word "apprentice".
Original post by my_username_was_taken
I strongly feel apprenticeships get such a better reputation than they deserve. I mean the fact is people seem to think it is ok to get around £50.00 a week for 40 hours work?

I can understand it in some proffessions but the majority I just see it as a way to pay people little and exploit them. I know someone who is on an administration "Apprenticeship" and gets paid around £50.00 per week or something similar to learn something she even admitted doesn't need an apprenticeship. Just a snide way to rip school leavers off and exploit them by paying them extremely little. I also saw Tesco customer service or retail assistant apprenticeship schmes and thought this is terrible as they could easily learn that and they're just getting ripped off on like £1.50 per hour...

No doubt with the school age raising to 18 (for people to be in education or training) and and people not allowed to work at, for example supermarkets when they leave as this is not counted as "training" they will just work at the same places but go on an apprenticeship and do the same thing only get a heck of a lot less for it and maybe do some BTEC on the side to stop them from seeing the exploitation. No doubt employers will love the school age raising so they can exploit 16-18 year olds in particular. I could also see other companies thinking this is a good idea due to the fact there are many highly qualified people who havent got jobs to match these I could honestly see some kind of "graduate apprenticeship scheme" which makes my heart week a little as when people graduate with 9K per year tuition fees, living costs probably 50K in debt or maybe more they may end up on £50.00 per week. Disgusting.

Anyone else agree?

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!! We should put together some kind of petition.
These apprenticeships are SLAVE LABOUR!

The government gives each apprenticeship 'supplier' £5000/year/student, you are effectively working for free...

It's absolutely ridiculous, how is being a receptionist an apprenticeship! Bloody ridiculous. You are better off on the doll, uni or trying to find a job.

I'm an apprentice at Jaguar Landrover so I get a reasonable wage, I also have my own online business teaching people how to make money online, and I'm looking to help young people like myself so if you want help message me friends!
Reply 44
Hi there
I just saw your post- even though it was from a while ago. We're a TV production company currently making some short films for Channel 4 News about youth unemployment and I'm looking to talk to someone who'd had a bad experience of apprenticeships - which it seems you have had.

It would be great to have a quick chat to you on the phone. Would you be able to call the number below - or email me your number and I'll call you?
Many thanks
Lucy, Mandrake Films
[email protected]
0208 510 9171

Original post by asmi6434
I Decided not to go to college and get an apprenticeship after school. Big Mistake. I'm not an idiot and I went to private school (Im not up myself!) and got several A's and B's. I got an apprenticeship with an IT company near Middlesbrough.

It became obvious from day one that I was being used for ony £2.50 an hour. I was doing very boring and repetitive work and was basically treated like ****. The company basically threw me on the first NVQ course they could find which bore little relevance to my job. I hate every minute of it but recently worked up the courage to tell them what I think of them and walk out. This was like water off a duck's back. They easily found someone to replace me and that appears to be the end of it.

This was really frustrating and it is not just my apprenticeship - Ive heard many other stories and I think it is disgraceful. I shall never use it again. I'm not particularly left wing but believe that this kind of exploitation should not be allowed.

I am not saying that there are NO apprenticeships which actually care, but it does appear that the low wages are the main incentive for using the system but this really should not be the case.
Reply 45
Unfortunately I know of some who are just given packing jobs and no trainning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending