can we rely on the university ratings? Watch

This discussion is closed.
klutz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
i have gone thru the times good universitys guide....according to it...bath is #5 among the unis in uk....does that mean that it is that really good? can we rely on it?....plus i've read in the same book that bath is next to cambridge in aeronautical engineering....that's one step ahead of imperial...
can anyone tell me whether i can trust these rankings? do u think it's advisable to consider the rankings only? plus i've heard that bath is basically an old boring town...what do u guys think abt it?
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well if you didnt get into cambridge.....dont want to live in london....bath would be the best option.....regionally it is regarded as a very good university....however it lacks the internatioanl reputation that imperial or cambrdige have.....
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by klutz)
i have gone thru the times good universitys guide....according to it...bath is #5 among the unis in uk....does that mean that it is that really good? can we rely on it?....plus i've read in the same book that bath is next to cambridge in aeronautical engineering....that's one step ahead of imperial...
can anyone tell me whether i can trust these rankings? do u think it's advisable to consider the rankings only? plus i've heard that bath is basically an old boring town...what do u guys think abt it?

No you cant trust rankings...Oxford are the best followed by LSE and Imperial...heheheeeeee

im not getting into either of them ...heheheee oh well :rolleyes:
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
No you cant trust rankings...Oxford are the best followed by LSE and Imperial...heheheeeeee

where's cambrdige?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
where's cambrdige?
they suck :mad:
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
they suck :mad:
Yeah I wouldnt go there
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The problem with the league tables is that universties tend to go and up and down like a yoyo. Just use the guides as a rough idea but visit the universities before making any firm choices.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Yeah I wouldnt go there
ooooooh...i just have!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
I don't think that they can be used as a definitive guide to which university is the best because they seem to change too much, too frequently to be used in that way. I think that the best way to use them is to look at the general performance of the university you are looking at. I find it useful to look at previous years rankings in comparison to this years, that way you can see how the university has performed over a period of time and this helps to get an idea of whether the place is on the up or not. At he end of the day I don't think its worth placing too much emphasis on the tables because they will be vastly different by the time you graduate, therefore I think it's best to pick somewhere you like that has a good solid reputation behind it!!!
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

depends on the grades too.........hehehehhhhhhheeeeeee eee
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by klutz)

well, i for one think that they are alrite.......but only if considered tillsome extent !!!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by klutz)
can anyone tell me whether i can trust these rankings?
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

In a league table of trainers, Hi-tecs could come out top due price, quality of material and so forth. However, most people would always go for Nikes.

Names and reputations count. A lot. Take all league tables with a pinch of salt.

J.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I think it's often seen like so:
On top level=Cambridge
Followed closely by Oxford*, LSE & Imperial. (some subjects are on same level as camb e.g [email protected], [email protected], [email protected])

*[however, it's reputation in USA is often better than cambs because there is a cambridge area in massachusets, where harvard is]

Oops I don't wanna start a fight between who's better between ox and
camb tho lol

I don't think you can pay too much attention to the exact placing of each uni, they tend to flcutuate a great deal in a certain area. There are a bunch of unis in the top 'bowl' who go up and down vs each other. It's true what someone said about reputation counting more than the exact placing on a league table.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
I think it's often seen like so:
On top level=Cambridge
Followed closely by Oxford*, LSE & Imperial. (some subjects are on same level as camb e.g [email protected], [email protected], [email protected])

*[however, it's reputation in USA is often better than cambs because there is a cambridge area in massachusets, where harvard is]

Oops I don't wanna start a fight between who's better between ox and
camb tho lol

I don't think you can pay too much attention to the exact placing of each uni, they tend to flcutuate a great deal in a certain area. There are a bunch of unis in the top 'bowl' who go up and down vs each other. It's true what someone said about reputation counting more than the exact placing on a league table.
No, its

Oxford and Cambridge

then...LSE and Imperial.

Then, Warwick, Notts, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, York
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
No, its

Oxford and Cambridge

then...LSE and Imperial.

Then, Warwick, Notts, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, York
I used to think it was Oxford and Cambridge at the top too, but I've met a number of people who've chosen LSE in particular over Oxford, which led me to see Camb as slightly higher than Oxford. Then again old reputations seem to be important for job prospects which would put ox higher, it is the oldest uni lol, but people I know seem to be finding it hard to choose between lse and oxford for academic teaching so i think the separation is becoming quite blurred. Or maybe they were just trying to weigh up the possibility of being at a great place in london, with great rep+excellent employment, or going to ox (nuff said here lol ox is ox is ox).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.54%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (143)
41.09%
Nope, not that interesting (137)
39.37%

Watched Threads