Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...130007,00.html

Trinity college Cambridge don claims up to two thirds of undergraduates have not been suited to academic study!
    What will that mean for those who may be going to Oxbridge this October?

ReputationRep:
    I like this bit - "He admitted that the admissions system at Oxford and Cambridge was "amateurish, disorganised and old-fashioned""

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I like this bit - "He admitted that the admissions system at Oxford and Cambridge was "amateurish, disorganised and old-fashioned""

Musicboy
    Well it's alot less amateurish than most other universities.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm, interesting. i think it is silly for people to be pushed into higher education when perhaps they are not up to it. And by the time people have got to oxbridge, they are probably tired of working their butts off and want a bit of a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Mmmmm, interesting. i think it is silly for people to be pushed into higher education when perhaps they are not up to it. And by the time people have got to oxbridge, they are probably tired of working their butts off and want a bit of a life.

Although, people that do get in often work hard and a significant proportion do well. I think the academic in question is looking at things solely from his perspective. Usually within academic circles one is deemed to be 'capable of serious engagement' if they're in with a realistic chance of a first class honours. Which is probably where the 33% comes from. Personally, I think this perspective assumes that all people are at university to attain the same benefits. There's a good mixture of students at each of the top universities, including Cambridge, that do not devote themselves solely to their discipline and attempt to lead 'well rounded' and 'balanced' lives. They're not really even there to acquire an exceptional level of command in just the academic matters of their course, that's not even the intention for most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Although, people that do get in often work hard and a significant proportion do well. I think the academic in question is looking at things solely from his perspective. Usually within academic circles one is deemed to be 'capable of serious engagement' if they're in with a realistic chance of a first class honours. Which is probably where the 33% comes from. Personally, I think this perspective assumes that all people are at university to attain the same benefits. There's a good mixture of students at each of the top universities, including Cambridge, that do not devote themselves solely to their discipline and attempt to lead 'well rounded' and 'balanced' lives. They're not really even there to acquire an exceptional level of command in just the academic matters of their course, that's not even the intention for most people.
    I agree with you, and I don't think this is something negative either. Obviously University is there for your own development, not only academically but also socially and personally. Apart from that, Cambridge and Oxford offer a huge amount and variety of extra-curricular activities, so why not use them?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.