The Student Room Group

To those who have been dumped and left completely heartbroken...

Scroll to see replies

Howa
Original post by Ciaran88
It's really easy to get into a trap where the idea of meeting someone new, or even just being single for a while, seems so alien and impossible that you feel more comfortable feeling sorry for yourself and telling yourself there'll never be anyone else again etc.

Don't worry we have all been there! The problem is I know people who have been there for waaaay longer than they should have, sometimes you actually need to push yourself to consider the possibility that things are going to be alright!

Good luck! :biggrin: You'll be fine don't worry :wink:

How'd you know when its been too long?
Reply 41
Original post by fallenangelsbleed
Howa

How'd you know when its been too long?

I really couldn't put a specific date on it, depending on the circumstances of the relationship and the break up you might have more to get over than other people, but after a couple of months you definitely want to make sure that you're at least trying to think positively!

It's a really great feeling when you do finally get over it by the way! You feel excited and hopeful and it's really worth it :smile:
Ive never personally got over my 3rd ex but the other 2

1st Ex about 7 weeks
2nd ex 8 months

3rd ex is soo complex its unreal but basically im stupid and keep doing stupid things which makes her lose her trust in me :/

But overall it should take long if you keep yourself busy i suppose.. i mean i remember when i was younger 14,15,16 i used to dwell on it bad but now im older i just take it on the chin and move on since lifes too short LOL
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
...how long did it take you to get over that person? I don't mean just any break up, I mean the kind where you are still absolutely in love with that person and would do anything to get them back, but they don't want to know.

TL;DR: Guy I was in love with was an idiot, took me a year to get over it, you'll eventually get over it, don't worry, love :smile:

Long version:
OMG It took me like a year and a few months to build a bridge and get the **** over it.
It's sad cos he's the one the asked me out in the first place, and then the next day, dumped me, and immediately got with his friend, then broke up with her after like...3 DAYS.
I still didn't get the message though, cos I was so in love with this idiot.
I always tried to get his attention...so pathetic.
The last time I tried, I called him to ask him if he wanted anything more, he said no. Then the realisation (FINALLY) just hit me, that it was never going to happen, and I started getting over it. Now I can talk to him without having a mental break down, and I'm going to see other people, and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. :smile:
Original post by w04andia
TL;DR: Guy I was in love with was an idiot, took me a year to get over it, you'll eventually get over it, don't worry, love :smile:

Long version:
OMG It took me like a year and a few months to build a bridge and get the **** over it.
It's sad cos he's the one the asked me out in the first place, and then the next day, dumped me, and immediately got with his friend, then broke up with her after like...3 DAYS.
I still didn't get the message though, cos I was so in love with this idiot.
I always tried to get his attention...so pathetic.
The last time I tried, I called him to ask him if he wanted anything more, he said no. Then the realisation (FINALLY) just hit me, that it was never going to happen, and I started getting over it. Now I can talk to him without having a mental break down, and I'm going to see other people, and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. :smile:

Exact same with my 3rd ex..
Reply 45
Original post by samperry209
Exact same with my 3rd ex..

Lol, funny that :smile:

I nearly lost hope that I would never move on, but as we can testify, it eventually happens :smile:
Original post by w04andia
Lol, funny that :smile:

I nearly lost hope that I would never move on, but as we can testify, it eventually happens :smile:

Oh god yeah because she used me treated me like **** and even had an affair but i still loved her :/ i went against all my mates advice and everything and when i got my fingers burn't it was the kick up the arse i needed really because i saw the light!

Love is a powerful emotion! But ive kept myself busy to be honest that helped alot :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Drunk Punx
Eh, a while. Don't know the actual time-scale, because, y'know, I can't count :ahee:

Or more srsly, it's because I don't actually care; I never remain friends with ex's, usually because it's a bad break-up (I've been out with some ****ing psychos), but also because I cba to deal with any emotional stress it puts on me. Apathy: feels good man.

This. Having said that it took me 12 weeks...How it took so ****ing long, I don't know...Well I wasn't dumped, I was rejected :biggrin:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
About 6-8 months. Just go out and do something else. I joined the gym and stopped texting her. I still miss her a little (the smallest possible amount) but nothing compared to what I did about 3 months after we broke up.

I'm enjoying single life right now :biggrin: I can flirt with anyone I want
Original post by Rossshaw
About 6-8 months. Just go out and do something else. I joined the gym and stopped texting her. I still miss her a little (the smallest possible amount) but nothing compared to what I did about 3 months after we broke up.

I'm enjoying single life right now :biggrin: I can flirt with anyone I want

...seriously, you couldn't sound more like the worst kind of woman at the moment. I'm assuming you were actually given testicles at birth? :holmes:
Reply 50
I'd say about a year.
With my first boyfriend, we broke up after I just turned 16... Think I had just turned 18 when I was finally over him. Time is your friend :biggrin:. If it helps, most of these people that you're in love with and would do anything to get back with... You end up looking back and thinking 'er, why?' Change is hard I suppose.
Reply 52
Original post by Drunk Punx
...seriously, you couldn't sound more like the worst kind of woman at the moment. I'm assuming you were actually given testicles at birth? :holmes:

Woman? You what?
Reply 53
'Being over it' is kind of subjective, so I'm not sure. Broke up in November, we'd been seeing each other for 10-11 months and for 3-4 of em we'd been an official couple.

For ages I'd wake up in the morning, be fine, and then a second later think of him and be miserable again. That's all gone with now. It doesn't make me particularly sad when I think of him, but I don't like him being brought up. Now it's more like he's just this person that hurt me really bad and made me feel really insecure, but there's no kind of romantic attachment.

However for me it's more hating myself due to my stupidity in putting up with him for so long and other things I did within the relationship where honestly, everyone told me he was treating me like ****.

We were meant to be getting back together a coupla weeks after breaking up but wanted to see how it went and not jump into it. He refused to give me a answer one day after I'd be waiting quite a while, and slept with someone else that evening. He'd been telling me how much he missed me, and just... Ugh. Just a week before I'd made him this kinda corny booklet of his favourite **** and memory stuff and a mix CD, because he'd made me a mix CD which kinda started off our relationship.

I just found this out recently through a friend, and my ex tried to lie about it but FB!proof proved otherwise. It hurt like a bitch, but in some ways it made it easier. Showed he definitely wasn't worth it and he wasn't the honest, brave guy I thought he was.

Still don't like seeing him around but I have to, we have mutual friends. Gives me an uneasy, vulnerable feeling and reminds me of my stupidity. Wouldn't like to hear about him and another girl, but definitely don't want him back ever, and I think I'm mainly over it. WOO.
Reply 54
About ten pints of Best I'd say...
You never get over it, you learn to endure the pain after a while, sorry. I suggest the comfort-eating route! :smile:
Reply 56
Argh. I hate threads like this, they really break my heart. Im so glad I've never had a relationship, they seem to suck.
i had to end it with my boyfriend. cause he took me for granted, kept standing me up, being late, never took me anywhere else but his bedroom. but i had completely fallen for him. and he insists he had fallen for me. if he had, he wouldn't have let me go so easily. he does apologise though. but it's not enough. part of me needs space. but the other part is heartbroken. it's been a few weeks, and i'm still miserable, and sickened. and miss him. will get better i'm sure.

...how long did it take you to get over that person? I don't mean just any break up, I mean the kind where you are still absolutely in love with that person and would do anything to get them back, but they don't want to know.

Two years or so.
Reply 59
will be two years this summer since I fell in love, it was a year ago this month that I got dumped and I'm still not over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending