Interview @ imperial 4 Computing, WEDNESDAY! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Asha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey i was wondering what type of questions and stuff would be asked....has any1 already had there interview, if so could u reply.....thx
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
rahaydenuk is currently doing (maths and) computer science, you could ask him.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Asha)
hey i was wondering what type of questions and stuff would be asked....has any1 already had there interview, if so could u reply.....thx
Hi,

As elpaw mentioned, I'm currently at Imperial studying Maths with Computing. When I had my interview, it was with two professors (one from maths and one from computing), so I assume yours will be just with one professor from computing. They will ask all of the usual stuff such as 'Why do you want to come to Imperial?, 'Why computing?' etc. etc. and they will probably also want to direct the conversation in such a way as to allow you to talk about particular (extra-curricular) areas of the subject you are interested in, so try to have something prepared to say. I was also given a small exercise to do on the board in front of them which was to write pseudo-code for a function which displays all of the square numbers up to some integer N, without using the multiplication or exponent operator anywhere in the code (it's not that difficult...). You may also be asked a maths-related question, however I think it's unlikely as you're just doing computing.

So in general, the interviews aren't really anything to worry about and nearly all of the computing staff are very friendly; just go in enthusiastic and it should be fine.

Regards,
Asha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thx for the advice, i'll keep it in mind...
heathermother
Report 14 years ago
Computing has one of the highest dropout rates of all courses at University - depending on the place, you are talking about a 30 - 40% dropout rate!!

The reasons vary and are debatable, but you need to ask:

1) What is the dropout rate for the last 3 years? If they won't give you a clear answer in percentage terms, do not even consider them.
2) Why so high?
3) What changes have they made to lower the rate? (Have they been successful?)
4) How will they support you if you get into difficulties?
5) Do they run remdial classes for people who's Maths isn't up to it?
6) Average class size?
7) How will tutors support you?

Think very carefully about risking a huge debt starting a course that you then drop out of - it could be very expensive.

Finally, approach this interview with the attitude that you are interviewing them, not the other way around. Computing departments are suffering. There are far more places than students and they need you. You need to make sure that you will get a lot of support in the first year.

Good luck next week.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads