Best GCSE revision guides Watch

nufc7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was just wondering what are the best revision guides for each subject? I know the CGP ones are quite good for some subjects but I'd quite like some advice for good ones regarding the following subjects:

Maths [edexcel], English (Lang + Lit) [OCR], Physics [OCR], Biology [OCR], Chemistry [OCR], Geography [edexcel], Music [OCR], German [AQA]

Exam board specific ones are preferable, any suggestions would be great!

Cheers

P.S. I've checked out the revision guide guide article on here, but it doesn't give much information for some subjects.

asha_patel
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The CGP revision books are very good, not sure if they'll be specific to your course though!!
plainsong
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CGP books are okay.. but they annoy me with how they incessantly highlight and bold things, I wouldn't mind so much if the things they highlight were actually crucial to the subject, but most of the time it isn't .

CGP are alright for the basic things I think - if you're aiming for the top grades I'd look elsewhere in most subjects. For example for my science exams I realised that the books only touch upon things, which are instead focused on in more depth in the real exams I did, so don't rely on them by any means. But they're ok to quickly remind yourself of the topics and can be quite good at explaining complicated things in an easy to understand way. The maths GCSE ones are quite good apparently, I've never used one though.

Assuming the OCR English Lang and Lit is the new specification for teaching this year (?), then there's recently been new revision and help guides released for them - just look on Amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...YVXDTP46RBG81N I think they're your only choice if you're doing that course (only if you're doing that course though), but I have them and they're quite good I think.
nufc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainsong)
CGP books are okay.. but they annoy me with how they incessantly highlight and bold things, I wouldn't mind so much if the things they highlight were actually crucial to the subject, but most of the time it isn't .

CGP are alright for the basic things I think - if you're aiming for the top grades I'd look elsewhere in most subjects. For example for my science exams I realised that the books only touch upon things, which are instead focused on in more depth in the real exams I did, so don't rely on them by any means. But they're ok to quickly remind yourself of the topics and can be quite good at explaining complicated things in an easy to understand way. The maths GCSE ones are quite good apparently, I've never used one though.

Assuming the OCR English Lang and Lit is the new specification for teaching this year (?), then there's recently been new revision and help guides released for them - just look on Amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...YVXDTP46RBG81N I think they're your only choice if you're doing that course (only if you're doing that course though), but I have them and they're quite good I think.
Thanks for your inputs.

Yeah, I'm aiming for as many A*s as I can get, especially with the science ones, and the CGP books seem quite good but I was worried they didn't contain enough info. Have you ever heard of the Collins ones? http://www.collinseducation.com/Titl...roductId=52564 and do you think this would go into more depth so I can get those top grades?
h2shin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what are you on about???! CGP books are awesome for all subjects... ESPECIALLY science ones.. I took triple science.. and all I did for revision was memorise the cgp books.
so in my first set of module exams P123,C123,B123.. I only dropped two marks in the physics... and in my second set of modular exams P456,C456 and B456, I only dropped one mark in my biology.

oh and english cgp books like poetry and literature guides and stuff helped me get A* in all my coursework so far, an A in english language and an A* in literature..

I just think they're good enough for me
nufc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by h2shin)
what are you on about???! CGP books are awesome for all subjects... ESPECIALLY science ones.. I took triple science.. and all I did for revision was memorise the cgp books.
so in my first set of module exams P123,C123,B123.. I only dropped two marks in the physics... and in my second set of modular exams P456,C456 and B456, I only dropped one mark in my biology.

oh and english cgp books like poetry and literature guides and stuff helped me get A* in all my coursework so far, an A in english language and an A* in literature..

I just think they're good enough for me
Wow, sounds like good results. I agree that the CGP books are helpful, they definitely help me understand things I wouldn't otherwise, I just wondered if it covered everything I needed to know. Obviously it did for you so I guess they must do!

And surely you did other things to revise like practice mock exams?

And did you use this English guide? ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-English.../dp/1841461016
j.alexanderh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would personally avoid CGP for maths, and I wouldn't recommend it for anything else really. For most of those subjects your best bet is the exam board textbook, with the exception of English and German. York Notes for whichever English texts you study. Can't help with German.
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CGP is pretty good for science. I'd avoid it for maths, though - you're better off with the MathsWatch CD. More useful, less expensive.
mmckn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I use the ccea GCSE chemistry revision guide. It's brilliant but i'm not sure if it's relevant to your course
leprachav
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For english I used the York Notes books where I could find them. They're like grey with yellow bits on them, usually can find them in bookshops - one for each text. Great stuff if you're aiming for a high grade.
Fission_Mailed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used CGP for my science GCSEs. They're the best for content and layout, but I absolutely hated the condescending tone of the narrator in those little boxes at the end of each page. "No! I will not write this out from memory again and again until I know it off by heart. I will actually try to understand it, and get an A* to ****ing spite you, Mr Revision Guide!" was my motto.
Kidioteque
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depending on your target/predicted grades, GCSE English: Aiming for A* is really useful, my grade probably would have been a fair bit lower had I not read it.
waterloo-sunset
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CGP books are generally a bit vague, but for OCR Science they're perfect! They basically contain the entire specification and are really all you need for revision. I have no scientific aptitude and didn't work hard in lessons but practically memorised the CGP books and came out with 3A*s
And I definitely agree with JRobbins, Aiming for A* was very helpful for technique (not OCR but I'd imagine it's pretty transferable). It's (mostly) on google books if you don't fancy buying it http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R...page&q&f=false
rae_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would highly reccomend Bookworth Books 'The Speedy Revision Guide' for maths - http://www.brookworth.co.uk/KS4.html.In my school we call it the maths Bible (we are such retards, I know) but it is really good at explaining the fundamental basics without the awkward 'jibber-jabber' of CGP books. You can also fit the book in a bag... I also reccomend this website for guidance: www.getrevising.co.uk. It's awesome and it practically covers all subjects up to A2 and it also formulates exam revision timetables. All you have to do is register.

Good luck with your exams
LabyrinthWonder
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CGP all the way, dude.

Those revision guides made me laugh through tough times as I read through them in last minute, desperate cramming...

Oh, those damned GCSE's...
Alian
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it depends how you learn. I hated the OCR ones as they had no colour in (though lots of good info) and didn't really get on with the CGP ones for the same reason although they wernt at bad. AQA was good for easy reading and use but the info was not so thorough or good.

I think the best thing to do is go to a bookshop and look at the revision guides and look at ones for different exam boards as they may be better and the things they cover are similar (check this though). Pick a topic you don't know and see how well they explain it. You can then order it online, where it is probably cheaper.
Good Luck with your exams.
kireland718
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do all the terms OCR CGP AQA etc mean? Is it the exam board or type of exam or book publisher? How do you know what revision books are right for your exam?
ChoccyMelody
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kireland718)
What do all the terms OCR CGP AQA etc mean? Is it the exam board or type of exam or book publisher? How do you know what revision books are right for your exam?
AQA and OCR are exam boards but they produce revision guides too for their own exam board.

CGP produce revision guides for many different subjects and exam boards.
NadiaPotato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For geography I would recommend "Edexcel GCSE Geography A, Geographical foundations student book." You can find it on the Edexcel website
aaron strachan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hello my name is aaron strachan and i am a year 9 student at st peters school, i was wandering if i could have a little bit of help on my english, maths, and science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
19.61%
Labour (360)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (99)
13.87%
Green Party (36)
5.04%
Brexit Party (9)
1.26%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.42%
SNP (14)
1.96%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.42%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.84%
SDLP (1)
0.14%
Ulster Unionist (4)