The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I personally think your statement is still a bit formal, and doesn't really get down to the core of who you are. I disagree with Evil Muffin; I think you should leave the playstation bit in. I don't think the statement is going to make or break your application though, since I'm sure grades and references are more important for study abroad. Plus, they will probably take into account that you are an international student when reading your statement, and that as a UK student you are taught a completely different format for writing personal statements. I'm sure the majority of international students write the statement like yours, so I wouldn't worry too much. Above all, make sure you are comfortable with what you are writing.

I guess it's kind of hard for someone from abroad to really understand how we Americans are taught to write admission essays. In the US, we are encouraged to have a glowing essay that's super creative and original. It's so different from an essay for UCAS. Though some students still write really serious yet moving pieces and others that aren't quite as skilled at writing write really dull cliche essays, a lot of American students write really amusing essays that would be considered too "fluffy" for British admissions. The following is an essay that was given to me to help me write my college (university, to you British folk) essay. Though I would never be quite so risky with my essay, it's interesting to note that in the US, this would be considered an acceptable personal statement. (The applicant was accepted at NYU).

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer, I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago, I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.
Reply 21
Thanks for the honest comments. Yea, I think I may have blabbed on a bit too much because when I found out I wrote way more than the 500 or so recommended words, I had a feeling it was too much. I'll try and remove out some unnecessary stuff but reinforce a bit more the good stuff.

I also managed to obtain a copy of a friend who is from Toronto and is currently studying here at KCL and now that you say it, mine does feel a bit too formal compared to hers, and yours :tongue:

I'm sure I have done some interesting things during my academic years but I just really cannot think of any right now!. How about simple things like I enjoy going to the gym once or twice a week with friends? I have some other things computer-related that I do from time to time as well but I'm worried it may sound a bit geeky or unsocial, lol.

Hmmm....having read the above post more carefully, it sounds more like you're chatting up and trying to impress a member of the opposite sex by describing what you are like and what you are into, rather than applying to a university!

Oh well, no need to sweat just yet. Still got 2 weeks to perfect it, plus I have the study plan to do as well!
Reply 22
Ok, I have my personal statement, application form and study plan sorted but I'm absolutely crapping myself because the deadline is on Saturday and my personal tutor and departmental study abroad advisor are still writing my references. I also need to have my study plans checked over and signed by the latter and then my application form stamped before I can hand it in!

Stupid stupid stupid me for leaving references so late! I wasn't too sure whether it was absolutely essential to have them now as they were never mentioned at the UoC presentation back then! ARGH!!!! It's possible I may have them ready by Thursday or Friday but I believe they have plenty of work to do as well and this is quite sudden so I'll be praying loads in the next few days!
I'm so sorry! Yeah, references are quite a pain. At my high school, we have to give everything to reference writers at least a month before the application deadline, or they refuse to write you a letter. This doesn't seem all that difficult in theory, but as you know, it's tough scrambling to make sure all parts of the application come together in time. Good luck; I hope everything gets done in time!
Manchester accepted me, so now have to write my actually application to California. Very pleased.

If any of you have any views on the best campuses for physics please let me know although I think I have worked it out for myself.
Reply 25
Sorry for the late update. Would just like to say that I managed to get the 2 references and my study plan checked on the deadline! Had to run around a bit though to find the Study Abroad & Exchanges Office but I eventually handed it in with 2 hours to go :smile: Now I just have to wait for their reply in January via e-mail about whether I have been successful or not :eek:
Reply 26
chidori
Sorry for the late update. Would just like to say that I managed to get the 2 references and my study plan checked on the deadline! Had to run around a bit though to find the Study Abroad & Exchanges Office but I eventually handed it in with 2 hours to go :smile: Now I just have to wait for their reply in January via e-mail about whether I have been successful or not :eek:

Good luck :smile: I've applied to UoC to spend my second yr abroad as well through my Uni so hoping to hear back in the next couple of months which campus they've designated me (Im hoping Irvine, UCLA or Santa Barbara). Those forms were a pain to fill in, never had so much paperwork to fill out in one go in my life! Fingers crossed it all works out!
Reply 27
I might sound a bit stupid but can you apply to a uni abroad no matter what British uni you're at? Or do they have to have some kind of partnership?
Im not really sure if my university does anything like it, Ive always loved the idea of studying/working abroad in the USA but didnt really know how to go about it so I never did. Would it be possible for me to do my second year in english lit at a uni in the USA or is it a bit too late to organise it now?!

Then again im still having doubts about whether i even want to continue my degree after the first year so any information about working/studying in America would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 28
poptart86
I might sound a bit stupid but can you apply to a uni abroad no matter what British uni you're at? Or do they have to have some kind of partnership?
Im not really sure if my university does anything like it, Ive always loved the idea of studying/working abroad in the USA but didnt really know how to go about it so I never did. Would it be possible for me to do my second year in english lit at a uni in the USA or is it a bit too late to organise it now?!

Then again im still having doubts about whether i even want to continue my degree after the first year so any information about working/studying in America would be really appreciated :smile:

Well, the obvious requirement would be that you are studying '<Something> with a Year Abroad' or doing a language, would would mean you should spend a period abroad to help with your studies. Also, there should be an exchange partnership between the 2 universities so that you only pay the tuition fees that apply here and that your year abroad will be recognised as part of your degree.

Even if you aren't doing such a course, some universities allow you to spend a year abroad but you would have to find out yourself whether they do.
Reply 29
Becca28
Good luck :smile: I've applied to UoC to spend my second yr abroad as well through my Uni so hoping to hear back in the next couple of months which campus they've designated me (Im hoping Irvine, UCLA or Santa Barbara). Those forms were a pain to fill in, never had so much paperwork to fill out in one go in my life! Fingers crossed it all works out!

i can tell you if you get into Santa Barbara you will NOT regret it. I spent the best year there!! :smile:
Reply 30
schmeeble
i can tell you if you get into Santa Barbara you will NOT regret it. I spent the best year there!! :smile:

yay :smile: im thinking thats the most likely place i will get into. Irvine dont always run a geog course, UCLA is more expensive than the money my bank guaranteed me, and Berkeley is probably too oversubscribed. Santa Barbara is the only other university to offer geography courses so im really hoping i get into there, from what ive heard and seen on the website its my ideal uni :biggrin:
Reply 31
The more I hear about Santa Barbara, the more I like the sound of it. Irvine will always be my first choice but I really wouldn't mind if I ended up SB. In a way, I actually hope I don't get into Irvine and get into SB instead, but Irvine would still be best for me for the whole year as it satisfies all my main criteria.
Reply 32
chidori
The more I hear about Santa Barbara, the more I like the sound of it. Irvine will always be my first choice but I really wouldn't mind if I ended up SB. In a way, I actually hope I don't get into Irvine and get into SB instead, but Irvine would still be best for me for the whole year as it satisfies all my main criteria.

Irvine is a decent uni, but it's in a crappy area.

Regarding admissions, SB is more lenient than Irvine, so it should be that you either get into both, or at least SB.
Reply 33
as every UCSB student will tell you. UCSB is the hardest party school to get into. IT's a great school, great location, you can't beat it! I am considering going back to do a masters just cos i miss it so much!!!

--------------

chidori

if you get in, you really wont regret it. :smile:
Reply 34
For those of us who've applies to spend the year at UoC starting Sept 2006, do you know when we should hear back from the uni as to where we've been allocated etc?
Becca28
For those of us who've applies to spend the year at UoC starting Sept 2006, do you know when we should hear back from the uni as to where we've been allocated etc?
I don't know officially, but I am guessing before easterish time. Do you already know about whether your University if happy for you to go? In Manchester the proceedure is that you apply to Manchester to go then to California for the particular campus. I have a meeting thou next week with the study abroad organiser in Manchester and I intend to try and find out a bit more specificaly when we will know.
Reply 36
My uni has agreed to let me go (had to go round departments etc and get them to sign some forms saying they're ok with it) and i sent off my forms to California just before christmas (we could pick three campuses so i chose Irvine, UCLA and Santa Barbara), not sure when i'll hear back from California as to which campus i'll be at, think they pass the applications round all the campuses until you are accepted so think I could end up anywhere. Hopefully will find out in next couple of months where im going, think it'll seem more real if i know exactly where im going!
If anyone understands the college system at San Diego could they explain how it works? Does the college make you do certain units? and do students enjoy college life?
Reply 38
You will probably find out sometime around March/April if i remember correctly. You will usually get an indication as to where you will go before your acceptance to the specific college. It's very rare for you to get placed anywhere but the three colleges you applied to, and your placement mainly depends on who applies to your university from california and how many exchange placements they have. So for example, if someone from UCSB applies to Essex then there will be one space at UCSB for a student from Essex. If two people from King's apply to UCLA then there will be two spots at King's for students at UCLA.
Reply 39
schmeeble
You will probably find out sometime around March/April if i remember correctly. You will usually get an indication as to where you will go before your acceptance to the specific college. It's very rare for you to get placed anywhere but the three colleges you applied to, and your placement mainly depends on who applies to your university from california and how many exchange placements they have. So for example, if someone from UCSB applies to Essex then there will be one space at UCSB for a student from Essex. If two people from King's apply to UCLA then there will be two spots at King's for students at UCLA.

thanks for the info :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending