The Student Room Group

Bristol, Sheffield, Sussex, Nottingham or York?

I currently have offers from the above unis to study straight politics.

Does anyone know which i should Firm and Insurance? I've been around nottingham and bristol, but still need to see the other three. Does anyone have personal experience of these courses/universities? Which would you recommend? Based on employment prospects and how much i'd enjoy living/studying there.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Rule of Idiocracy

Does anyone know which i should Firm and Insurance? I've been around nottingham and bristol, but still need to see the other three. Does anyone have personal experience of these courses/universities? Which would you recommend? Based on employment prospects and how much i'd enjoy living/studying there.

Wow, well done for getting all five offers! That's amazing. My order of preference would be: Bristol, Nottingham, Sussex, York, Sheffield. :smile:

I don't have any knowledge about these universities in terms of your chosen subject, but degrees from any of these places would not be looked down on, especially Bristol. And they're great places too, for example studying in Brighton would be pretty cool. If you can, go on post-offer admissions days to really get a feel for the places and try to imagine yourself living there. You need to go somewhere that's not only right for you academically but also somewhere that you'd enjoy living in for the next three years. Go with your gut instincts - I'm sure you have a preference to at least one of these places, so don't get put off by statistics and ranks in the university league tables if you know you want to study at that particular place. Getting a degree from a top university with good employment prospects won't guarantee you a good job, it's what you personally do that counts - and if you work hard enough you could do that at any of these places. So go with your heart and enjoy yourself :smile: and remember how awesome it is that you've got five offers and have such a choice. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
If you care about employment prospects, go for Bristol.
I'd say it's considered the best one out of those unis.
In addition it had a VERY good Politics department, so you'll be assured a good education :smile:

You might also want to consider the cities themselves though - they're all very different but all very likeable.

York is a campus uni, so might be quieter and more relaxed. The city is very small.
Bristol is a lovely city IMO - a good size, lots to do, but still friendly. Lots of culture.
Brighton would be really fun to study in :smile:
Nottingham is a campus uni, though the city itself is fairly big.
Sheffield is a very studenty city, low costs etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sheffield has one of the best rated politics courses, and has done for a while.

You should probably look into the details of the courses - what they offer in terms of modules, electives etc, and see what suits you more. I wanted somewhere with a bit of flexibilty. You may want to consider visiting some of the unis, and deciding which you like more, as they are all very different.
Original post by Rule of Idiocracy

My advice is..... York. :smile:
I'm applying for politics and International Relations and York is one of my top choices, although I haven't heard from them yet.
I have an offer from Exeter which I'm also seriously considering. Basically I'm stuck between Exeter and York but after all it all depends on if I get an offer :biggrin:
hahaha I've had an utter mare, I expected to get an offer from Sheffield but just got rejected :frown:

Oh well, I have the offers from Nottingham, Bristol, Sussex and York. I'm pretty sure my order of preference will be 1. Bristol and 2. Nottingham. They both seem like pretty big cities and the social aspect of the uni is desperately important to me (borderline alcoholic).

Bristol seems to be poorly rated by both The Guardian and The Times in terms of their subject league tables for politics. Is this a problem? Will it mean much in terms of the enjoyability of the course and graduate prospects? The offers are AAB from Bristol and York, ABB from Nottingham and AAB (inc Gen) from Sussex. Which order of preference would everyone put them in?

Thank you so much for everyone's advice so far :biggrin:
I think Firm - Bristol, Insurance - Nottingham. I think because of the quality of offers you got, you should now look at the uni as a whole. Well done by the way!
Original post by yahyahyahs
I think Firm - Bristol, Insurance - Nottingham. I think because of the quality of offers you got, you should now look at the uni as a whole. Well done by the way!

This I'd think. Did you like Nottingham? I went to visit too and just didn't get a feel for it myself.
Reply 8
My experience of the Politics department at York has been very positive. I'm happy to answer any questions - although bear in mind I'm only doing it as 1/3rd of my degree.

My advice would be to decide what kind of campus/city you'd most like to go to. There is a large variation with those 5 as to what your day-to-day life would actually be like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending