Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It seems many people have opinions about their own driving tests, other people's driving tests and Driving Examiners. I passed my test 1st time, on a route I had never seen, with many hazzards. But I passed because I dealt with them. I was reading elsewhere in the forum how bad examiners are, and how many learner drivers with no solo experience on the roads know better than their examiner.. probably an ex traffic cop, member of the forces or a bloody good driver. The mind boggles. So, does anyone have any stories to share about their practical test.. maybe we could start a 'best practice' forum on the driving tests. So come on, it is the one thing many people share is the driving test experience.

Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    you registered just for that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a **** about driving its over rated. If I can get to every where I want to go by pulbic transport I don't need a car to tie my finances down. My dad has a car and literly our biggest expense is the car. He only has it because he needs it for business.

I have had driving lessons and am at test standard but I feel it will be imoral for me to be let loose behind ther wheel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you registered just for that?
    Not really, but it is a free country.. just chanced across this page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I don't give a **** about driving its over rated. If I can get to every where I want to go by pulbic transport I don't need a car to tie my finances down. My dad has a car and literly our biggest expense is the car. He only has it because he needs it for business.

I have had driving lessons and am at test standard but I feel it will be imoral for me to be let loose behind ther wheel.
    for goodness sake. just because you pass doesnt mean you need to drive everywhere. its a good skill to have, thats all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWM)
    Not really, but it is a free country.. just chanced across this page
    i know, it's just most people register to reply to something else, and hardly anyone registers to start a topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i know, it's just most people register to reply to something else, and hardly anyone registers to start a topic.
    Very true, and it is a fair point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    for goodness sake. just because you pass doesnt mean you need to drive everywhere. its a good skill to have, thats all.
    But its amazing how many people do just buy cars, then moan when they pay £2000 insurance, £1000 a year on repairs, spend most their time in traffic jams. Its interesting at uni the people that are always late the people that have cars, yet I have to get two buses and always manage to get there on time even if I ended up leaving late.

I understand that in the countryside a car may be vital but I am just talking about big cities here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWM)
    Very true, and it is a fair point.
    anyway, to answer your question; i can't drive "officially", never had lessons or anything like that, but i do know how to "drive". i'm gonna have lessons and take the test in the summer (if my student loan will allow me)

ReputationRep:
    Some people would say it is an important skill to have, for example many employers don't employ people without licences, and some jobs require a licence, for the job itself or to make the trip to work possible. But it is a great asset to have, I drive to my work, couldn't get there any other way. So, whilst not essential, it has let me choose what I want to do, rather than being confined to jobs accessible by public transport and in a reasonable time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    anyway, to answer your question; i can't drive "officially", never had lessons or anything like that, but i do know how to "drive". i'm gonna have lessons and take the test in the summer (if my student loan will allow me)
    Good luck mate.. really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    But its amazing how many people do just buy cars, then moan when they pay £2000 insurance, £1000 a year on repairs, spend most their time in traffic jams. Its interesting at uni the people that are always late the people that have cars, yet I have to get two buses and always manage to get there on time even if I ended up leaving late.

I understand that in the countryside a car may be vital but I am just talking about big cities here.
    I agree with that, I hate driving in the city... I can normally bus or train or even walk quicker than driving in todays traffic!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWM)
    Some people would say it is an important skill to have, for example many employers don't employ people without licences, and some jobs require a licence, for the job itself or to make the trip to work possible. But it is a great asset to have, I drive to my work, couldn't get there any other way. So, whilst not essential, it has let me choose what I want to do, rather than being confined to jobs accessible by public transport and in a reasonable time!
    Well my the kind of job I want to do will likely to be in the city centre and its much quicker to get there by bus than by car. Also by the time he metrolink is complete I can get to all parts of the city in less than half an hour. If people continue to drive every where then the UK will just come to a stand still. I already see it every morning with all the pratts trying to drive into Manchester, one person in their car, then they spend half an hour trying to find a space, then they have to pay £5 for it. I also have all the money I want for luxeries like my HIFI system, clubbing, holidays etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWM)
    I agree with that, I hate driving in the city... I can normally bus or train or even walk quicker than driving in todays traffic!!!
    Yeah thats exactly my point, if I lived in a small town then I would need a car but I am very much a city man and in big cities public transport works brilliantly.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.