Top up fees... Last chance for you to have a say! Watch

This discussion is closed.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi if you are against the top up fees, you can send a direct fax to your local MP by going to www.faxyourmp.com and try to appeal to their emotional side (if they've got one)
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
Hi if you are against the top up fees, you can send a direct fax to your local MP by going to www.faxyourmp.com and try to appeal to their emotional side (if they've got one)
Top-up fees are good. Too many young people are going to university to study stupid subjects that they're never going to use. More emphasis should be placed on vocational subjects like Medicine or Law.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm for top up fees. However since know one has to pay them back until after they have graduated, the poorer shouldn't get money off as if their parents aren't paying, then it has nothing to do with their parents income. Instead an EMA allowance should be given to the poorest and everyone should pay equal.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The only thing I have to say right now on top up fees is:
According to the BMA middle class Medical students face a debt of £64000! and even poorer students outside London face £38000!
FAIR?????? I dont think so!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
According to the BMA middle class Medical students face a debt of £64000! and even poorer students outside London face £38000!
You agree they should pay the same? I do.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
You agree they should pay the same? I do.
If we were in a society where it is possible for nothing what so ever to be paid up front then perhaps that might work! I was must making the point that no student should be forced to graduate with that much debt!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
If we were in a society where it is possible for nothing what so ever to be paid up front then perhaps that might work! I was must making the point that no student should be forced to graduate with that much debt!
It is a lot and espescially for the middle class student who starts out at the same place as the poor student. I can see they provide a service but I can also see they probably will earn a lot more than most graduates - but then probably work damn harder too.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Top-up fees are good. Too many young people are going to university to study stupid subjects that they're never going to use. More emphasis should be placed on vocational subjects like Medicine or Law.

That of course would be due to the vast shortage of Lawyers and students of that particular discipline.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
That of course would be due to the vast shortage of Lawyers and students of that particular discipline.
Well, yes. The government is putting the emphasis on quantity, not quality, ie. send as many people as possible to university, and spread the cost across the board. The majority of these people don't need to go to university - what good is a Philosophy degree to an office worker? The emphasis should be on vocations (like Law, Medicine, teaching, etc.), so that people can be educated in these professions without cost, as opposed to having to pay huge amounts of cash, just so that the government can say that 50% of the population is needlessly educated.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, yes. The government is putting the emphasis on quantity, not quality, ie. send as many people as possible to university, and spread the cost across the board. The majority of these people don't need to go to university - what good is a Philosophy degree to an office worker? The emphasis should be on vocations (like Law, Medicine, teaching, etc.), so that people can be educated in these professions without cost, as opposed to having to pay huge amounts of cash, just so that the government can say that 50% of the population is needlessly educated.
A opinion worthy of a medal!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Of course. Just saying what needs to be said.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally, I have nothing against top-up fees in principle, but I think the current proposals has several flaws. Firstly, the income set for repayments is far too low (£15 000) - to say that someone has benefitted from their university education I would suggest a trigger level of about £25 000. Secondly, I agree completely with happysunshine that it doesn't make any sense for those from low income families to pay less - we are all equal again on graduation.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Secondly, I agree completely with happysunshine that it doesn't make any sense for those from low income families to pay less - we are all equal again on graduation.

It shouldn't be to do with parental income when the parents don't pay any of the loan. Although I have recognised, it is unfair that some students have to suffer throughout their education as they have to get a job to support them, which middle class students usually do not.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
your essentially claiming all arts degrees to be useless? How is that possible? All the skills learnt through art/humanties degrees (Philosophy, english, History etc etc) are highly sought after by employers.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

It shouldn't be to do with parental income when the parents don't pay any of the loan. Although I have recognised, it is unfair that some students have to suffer throughout their education as they have to get a job to support them, which middle class students usually do not.
Everyone (nearly) will be getting a job during university, I would think as the debt will be increased, myself for example will be trying to save some money during uni.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
your essentially claiming all arts degrees to be useless? How is that possible? All the skills learnt through art/humanties degrees (Philosophy, english, History etc etc) are highly sought after by employers.
But are they nessecary?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
As J.S already pointed out there is already an excess of lawyers/law students so it's a rather strange opinion.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But are they nessecary?
Define 'nessecary'.
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
oh dear.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But are they nessecary?
Yes they are, thats why employers like them and universitys teach them and thousands upon thousands of students study them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads