The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mr White
So, explain to me, how useful, exactly, is a degree in Philosophy to an office worker? Don't just regurgitate the old employers like it comment, because that isn't a valid reason not to change the system.

I listed some reasons above, and philosophy graduates usually dont become office workers anyway, so you can hardly use that example.
Reply 41
corey
I listed some reasons above, and philosophy graduates usually dont become office workers anyway, so you can hardly use that example.

Irregardless, the fact is that people are being crammed into unneccessary higher-education that they really do not need. As a future medical student, I find it disgraceful that people who actually go to university to do things other than drink alcohol and have sex have to pay huge fees to compensate for the mouth-breathing troglodytes who do.

Things need to be changed, these quota-obsessed government policies are spoiling the education system, churning out millions of pointlessly educated brown-collar schmoes, and forcing serious students to rack up massive debts in the early stages of their adult life, when they should be building a life for themselves, not working off loan repayments.
Mr White
Irregardless, the fact is that people are being crammed into unneccessary higher-education that they really do not need. As a future medical student, I find it disgraceful that people who actually go to university to do things other than drink alcohol and have sex have to pay huge fees to compensate for the mouth-breathing troglodytes who do.

Things need to be changed, these quota-obsessed government policies are spoiling the education system, churning out millions of pointlessly educated brown-collar schmoes, and forcing serious students to rack up massive debts in the early stages of their adult life, when they should be building a life for themselves, not working off loan repayments.

It's very annoying when people can get on to a degree course without even having any GCSEs or A-Levels.

Or when those who are plain dense get on to a degree course which costs a lot for the tax payer and they come out with a degree which is only just a pass.
J.S.
I've gone through university without ever using the vast array of knoweldge I had acquired at school in GCSE Science:smile:, similarly, my fantastic Art work has also gone to waste.

I had known well in advance that I'd not actively use them, does this mean that I had no right to sit those exams?

Everyone has the right to secondary education, but not everyone has the right to do a degree. For one a student costs a lot more, and if they aren't going to get a good enough job to pay back in taxes... what are they contributing over someone who doesn't good to university?
JSM
thank you, thank you, so much, at last someone who agrees with my views, well i dont want to pay them, but if everyone has to , then fair is fair

:biggrin:
Reply 45
happysunshine
Everyone has the right to secondary education, but not everyone has the right to do a degree. For one a student costs a lot more, and if they aren't going to get a good enough job to pay back in taxes... what are they contributing over someone who doesn't good to university?

For what reason do we all have a right to a secondary education? Are you basing that purely on cost? For me, we all have a right to a secondary education, as it comes well within the bare minimum one needs to function in society. I would use the same argument for a university degree.
Reply 46
I do partly agree with what has been said here, clearly there are people in university who should not be there. However everybody deserves a chance, I personaly think they should make the first year stricter on some courses to that more people fail this way only the good ones can complete the degree saving the government money.

I am not sure if people can go to university without A levels or a GCSEs? It is the first I have heared of it, but I did read an article in the paper about Manchester Met accepting students on a Chemestry course with just two E's! There was excuse was chemestry is no longer a popular course.

I never wanted to go university but I am now. I am there to help my career prospects not because I felt I should go, or because I wanted to spend 3 years on learning the art of sex, drugs and one night stands.
J.S.
For what reason do we all have a right to a secondary education? Are you basing that purely on cost? For me, we all have a right to a secondary education, as it comes well within the bare minimum one needs to function in society. I would use the same argument for a university degree.

Er not everyone needs a university degree, infact for society to function well 20% would be a reasonable number. Not everyone should have a degree, it produced unneeded costs and unneeded degrees.
Reply 48
happysunshine
Er not everyone needs a university degree, infact for society to function well 20% would be a reasonable number. .

Did you just pluck that figure out of thin air?
kildare
Did you just pluck that figure out of thin air?

Sort of.
Reply 50
As Pencil Queen has stated on numerous occasions in the past, 80% of new jobs created over the next 5-10 years are likely to require some sort of teritary level qualification. And that's looking at uni education purely from a utilitarian point of view...
kildare
As Pencil Queen has stated on numerous occasions in the past, 80% of new jobs created over the next 5-10 years are likely to require some sort of teritary level qualification. And that's looking at uni education purely from a utilitarian point of view...

Well I just don't see the need for all these degrees. I used to but now I don't. It's great to educate people, but there needs to be the accademically elite.
Reply 52
happysunshine
Well I just don't see the need for all these degrees. I used to but now I don't. It's great to educate people, but there needs to be the accademically elite.

The academic elite are usually the socially elite too.
jammyd

Well I don't know then :confused:
Reply 54
happysunshine

i would go even further and say how can you claim everyone has the inaliable right to a secondary education, why force it on someone who actively does not want to learn and who will passively promote the lack of interest in education within the school system.
Reply 55
jammyd

thats whats wrong with a meritocracy, but actually before university level, i would disagree, those who are the most popular tend to be the slackers
JSM
i would go even further and say how can you claim everyone has the inaliable right to a secondary education, why force it on someone who actively does not want to learn and who will passively promote the lack of interest in education within the school system.

I know exactly what you are saying and I do agree with it. But, it wouldn't help crime rates, drug rates, employment rates and benefit rates if we didn't give them some kind of education. Although some of those people who actively don't want to learn, learn very well in vocational enviroments and enjoy their time doing so. We should have special vocational schools.
Reply 57
happysunshine

I think this is a popular misconception. I really don't see how the existence of Thames Valley university devalues an MA (Oxon).
kildare
I think this is a popular misconception. I really don't see how the existence of Thames Valley university devalues an MA (Oxon).

No me neither. If it costs the tax payer nothing to educate them then everyone can go to university but it isn't like that.
Reply 59
kildare

however, what is the point of having a skilled workforce, that actually has no skills, companies now increasingly rely on in house training - that is something that opponents of globalisation predict will happen, however, many tertiary or service sector jobs will remain not necessarily highly skilled but definately highly localised as we can not have burger king flippers flipping for us in thailand can we?

Latest

Trending

Trending