Top up fees... Last chance for you to have a say! Watch

This discussion is closed.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
If you've paid taxes all your life then you should keep your house.
+
hehe, but i disagree with paying income tax-if you didnt pay it you could probably keep your house. Why, income tax pays for all these things that people assume to be their rights inalieably, for example, free education, free healthcare, so they are not actually free. in what way does income tax cover your house.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought that too. Although those who don't pay for this cover, wont get their mortgage covered.
Yeah and I presume it would be quite expensive I guess.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Because human life has a basic intrinsic value.
no it doesnt, maybe in many peoples eyes, but it is almost one of the only unlimited (albeit with a slow growth rate) resource that we have
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I was under the impression that you could get cover incase of unemployment when you get the mortgage. In other word if you loose your job the insurance company would pay your mortgage off for you until you got a new job. I doubt it would pay for a mortgage fully though as insurance companies aren't that generous.
This is quite vague, insurers will often only pay if you've been out of work for a certain amount of time and even then it depends on your redundancy pay or if you're payed liue of notice.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Look i dont want to be rude, so im not going to get into it about your circumstances

hey, i liked the victorians, Queen victoria even didn't want to give wome hte vote :rolleyes:

Well, unfortunately for you, i will have my own way, im gonna run this country, and it does not make people homeless, it forces people to search for a job, i have no problem with job centres as they make sense, but i dislike the dole.
I hate all these scroungers living of the dole just as much as anybody and I agree with you they should get their lazy arses off their smoke ridden 1970's sofa and get a job. All I am saying is you can't rid of this completly as there are also many genuine claiments. My grandad was on the dole for 6 months during the 1970's and it was his most depressing time of his life, they would have lost their house if it wasn't for the dole. Both had good jobs, my grandad was a purchase manager and my grandma was a manager of an old peoples home, however even now they have save literly every pennty they have becasue they have no money. If they got even less money they would be on the streets. They are in the their late 70's so they would be dead if that was the case.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah thanks this happened 7 years ago, things are okish now but house is still not that secure, my parents are managing to pay their mortage and providing they can pay it all of in the next few years they will end up with a very expensive house.
so the government should help pay for very expensive houses
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
+
hehe, but i disagree with paying income tax-if you didnt pay it you could probably keep your house. Why, income tax pays for all these things that people assume to be their rights inalieably, for example, free education, free healthcare, so they are not actually free. in what way does income tax cover your house.
Most of the taxes you just said are under National Insurance. Another additonal tax.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
maybe you might not dislike it if one day you happened to fall into that needful circumstance.
i will still dislike it, ive argued this before and i would utilise it because it was there, but in principle i would not expect it as my right.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
+
Well the current system makes everyone pay for the lazy people, it is much more 'right' to pay for someone who has paid their taxes all their lives to help them get through a bit of their mortgage. And we pay for the queen and all her family.

However I know that you would get rid of the dole anyway, so what I've said isn't relevent. I see what you are saying and it does seem quite right. People should pay for mortgage cover...
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Most of the taxes you just said are under National Insurance. Another additonal tax.
national insurance actually was originally covering unemployment benefit and the NHS, but the NHS is no longer completely funded by it, in fact, income tax is basically what funds the welfare state.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
This is quite vague, insurers will often only pay if you've been out of work for a certain amount of time and even then it depends on your redundancy pay or if you're payed liue of notice.
Maybe people should put a bit aside then, or go and become a cleaner.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate all these scroungers living of the dole just as much as anybody and I agree with you they should get their lazy arses off their smoke ridden 1970's sofa and get a job. All I am saying is you can't rid of this completly as there are also many genuine claiments. My grandad was on the dole for 6 months during the 1970's and it was his most depressing time of his life, they would have lost their house if it wasn't for the dole. Both had good jobs, my grandad was a purchase manager and my grandma was a manager of an old peoples home, however even now they have save literly every pennty they have becasue they have no money. If they got even less money they would be on the streets. They are in the their late 70's so they would be dead if that was the case.
stop talking personally cos you will get offended, however, tough, if thats the way you feel go and live in a planned economy, like under the Nazis. i disagree with the dole full stop.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
national insurance actually was originally covering unemployment benefit and the NHS, but the NHS is no longer completely funded by it, in fact, income tax is basically what funds the welfare state.
In effect though people that are tax exiles still pay NI while not income tax. They still get the same benefits as everyone else.

If you know what to do with your money you'd pay very little income tax if you lived in this country anyway.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
so the government should help pay for very expensive houses
When my parents but their house in 1980 it cost them £15k, they were just clever in realising that £2000 extra for a good area was money well spent. It was a good job as our house is worth £170k (which is not much more than the UK average) where as the £2000 cheaper house would now be worth less than £60k.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe people should put a bit aside then, or go and become a cleaner.
Lol thats what my dad basicaly did, from a senior librarian to a carpet cleaner. He does at least work for himself though.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well the current system makes everyone pay for the lazy people, it is much more 'right' to pay for someone who has paid their taxes all their lives to help them get through a bit of their mortgage. And we pay for the queen and all her family.

However I know that you would get rid of the dole anyway, so what I've said isn't relevent. I see what you are saying and it does seem quite right. People should pay for mortgage cover...
mortgages help you afford your house, i hate this i get attacked both ways, they say . . . "but not everyone has a house, food, etc "(not really true, everyone is better off than they would have been a hundred yrs ago, cept maybe druggies) and then i get attacked by people saying it is a right and that they should keep their expensive houses. No it is not there are no basic rights, nothing has inaliable rights other than legal rights, which often enshrine what people want anyway, so are almost pointless.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When my parents but their house in 1980 it cost them £15k, they were just clever in realising that £2000 extra for a good area was money well spent. It was a good job as our house is worth £170k (which is not much more than the UK average) where as the £2000 cheaper house would now be worth less than £60k.
but your parents were also lucky as as you admitted the government helped them to pay in order to keep it . . .
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In effect though people that are tax exiles still pay NI while not income tax. They still get the same benefits as everyone else.

If you know what to do with your money you'd pay very little income tax if you lived in this country anyway.
actually that is false-hehe my dad studied to be an accountant, most tax evasion is by foreign nationals or people resident elsewhere as that is how you can do it.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
i would go even further and say how can you claim everyone has the inaliable right to a secondary education, why force it on someone who actively does not want to learn and who will passively promote the lack of interest in education within the school system.
Agreed...many of these people who are forced to go to school disrupt learning for those that genuinley want to learn.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
actually that is false-hehe my dad studied to be an accountant, most tax evasion is by foreign nationals or people resident elsewhere as that is how you can do it.
Your dad is obviously not my dads accountant. My Dad didnt pay a penny of income tax last year and our company has a 7 figure turnover.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.54%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (143)
41.09%
Nope, not that interesting (137)
39.37%

Watched Threads