The Student Room Group

I hope to study History at Oxford or Cambridge - current undergraduates please help !

Hey there, firstly, I have looked at courses up and down the country so I'm not being naive and relying on only going to Oxbridge. But I wanted some specific info on these two universities...

So I have a series of questions:

What course do you currently do? Is some of it completely new to you?

Any tips for a current year 12?

Do I have to be the very best at history in my year to apply? I know this ONE guy who's better, rawr.

What are some good books for further reading? (I have a particular interest in political history 1700s onwards, but just put what you like :smile: )

Are the interviews really that scary?

What extra-curricular activities may bolster my chances ?(not like tennis, but debating perhaps?...)

Why did you choose one university over the other?

Thank you :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not a current student, but I have an offer (history at Ox), so I might be able to help.

Read as much as you can around the subject, it will make A level exams easier (and the HAT if you apply to oxford), and will significantly aid your personal statement and performance in interview. Take notes if you can too. I started reading around this time, or a bit before this time, last year, for my interviews which were in dec., so start now! Everyone I know that got an offer for History had done at least a bit of reading (i.e. 4-5 books), and had a genuine interest in the subject.

Do I have to be the very best at history in my year to apply? I know this ONE guy who's better, rawr.

That's not really important, it's whether or not you're of a standard for the uni, not the best in your school. 5 of us got into Oxbridge for history from my school, all of differing capabilities and interests, so it doesn't matter.

What are some good books for further reading? (I have a particular interest in political history 1700s onwards, but just put what you like )

Other people will be able to better recommend books. Although what I would say is that purchasing more analytical books can be helpful, i.e. not purely narrative history, as it provides an argument, and opposed to just a narrative. I.e. read Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France, not just Schama's Citizens, for example.

Dependent entirely on your temperament. I was extremely nervous, some friends weren't. What I would say though, is that the interviewers in mine and my friends' experiences did their utmost to relax us, and it is in no way an interrogation, more an enjoyable, academic discussion/debate.

What extra-curricular activities may bolster my chances ?(not like tennis, but debating perhaps?...)

Don't think it matters **** all, include a few (1 or 2 maybe), in your PS. E.g debating society, but don't do so arrogantly - they're more interested in interest and potential in your subject.

Oxford gives, it would appear to me, more potential for candidates to differentiate themselves due to the fact that you have to sit the History Aptitude Test (HAT), and thus isn't as grade-focused as Cambridge, perhaps. Also, I prefer the city environment, and AAA offers.

By the way, all the past HAT papers are available online.

Dunno if that was helpful, let me know if you have any queries, I'm quite tired atm hence the brevity of my response.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by callupjah
I'm not a current student, but I have an offer (history at Ox), so I might be able to help.

Read as much as you can around the subject, it will make A level exams easier (and the HAT if you apply to oxford), and will significantly aid your personal statement and performance in interview. Take notes if you can too. I started reading around this time, or a bit before this time, last year, for my interviews which were in dec., so start now! Everyone I know that got an offer for History had done at least a bit of reading (i.e. 4-5 books), and had a genuine interest in the subject.

That's not really important, it's whether or not you're of a standard for the uni, not the best in your school. 5 of us got into Oxbridge for history from my school, all of differing capabilities and interests, so it doesn't matter.

What are some good books for further reading? (I have a particular interest in political history 1700s onwards, but just put what you like )

Other people will be able to better recommend books. Although what I would say is that purchasing more analytical books can be helpful, i.e. not purely narrative history, as it provides an argument, and opposed to just a narrative. I.e. read Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France, not just Schama's Citizens, for example.

Dependent entirely on your temperament. I was extremely nervous, some friends weren't. What I would say though, is that the interviewers in mine and my friends' experiences did their utmost to relax us, and it is in no way an interrogation, more an enjoyable, academic discussion/debate.

Don't think it matters **** all, include a few (1 or 2 maybe), in your PS. E.g debating society, but don't do so arrogantly - they're more interested in interest and potential in your subject.

Oxford gives, it would appear to me, more potential for candidates to differentiate themselves due to the fact that you have to sit the History Aptitude Test (HAT), and thus isn't as grade-focused as Cambridge, perhaps. Also, I prefer the city environment, and AAA offers.

By the way, all the past HAT papers are available online.

Dunno if that was helpful, let me know if you have any queries, I'm quite tired atm hence the brevity of my response.

That was enormously helpful thanks!!
Dont mean to intrude too badly, but what did you get for GCSEs and what are u studying are a-level?
Also, what books did you read? And did interviewers talk about the books in your interview?

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Not a current undergraduate but given my interview was only a month or so ago I think I can probably help you.

Firstly, let's talk about the courses. You're more limited at Oxford than Cambridge; you can't pick and choose between two many other papers (e.g. politics or classics etc.) because you're expected to pick between Modern History, Ancient and Modern History or History (Modern) and Politics. Sadly the two that give you more bredth have a much more difficult entrance percentages (15% I believe, 30% for the general history).

That to me was the big negative. I'm picking my papers now for Cambridge, and have a choice between stuff going all the way back to 800BC to the present day, which is pretty exciting. Have a look at the papers on offer here: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/part1/index.html

As you can tell, you can make it as 'new' or 'old' as you wish. I will be doing the most modern British History and British Social/Economic papers but be mixing that most likely with the European History paper which is 31AD-800AD, which other than a spot of Augustus which I did in Classic Civ is largely new. I won't explain the whole choosing paper system to you, but I can tell you there is lots of choice particularly in your final year (Part II).

Oxford I know less about, just know from dismissing it last year. However, be aware that Cambridge remains A*AA; Oxford I believe will not be requesting A* for your year, so lucky you; if you feel you won't match the A* then bear that in mind.

This person who you compete against might get better grades, but who loves history more? Which one of you will do better in independent study, who will react to new ideas better? Don't really bother to compare yourself to other people. Although saying that I was pretty much the only Oxbridge level candidate in my school for history, but my school's not that great so hard to tell. Basically, don't worry.

Extracurricular largely doesn't matter. I mentioned debating society which I helped run in my old school and my school magazine, but they don't really care. Show that you're a normal human being, and then talk about your love of history and nothing more in your personal statement; it's three things all put together: how you found history, how history found you, and why everyone should have history. That's basically your entire personal statement, with the odd example of particular interests.

The interviews aren't scary, they're incredible fun. I walked in, they were so nice, my first one I came out of so buzzing about what I discussed and exploring new ideas. No one can divulge individual questions, but the majority of the stuff was off the essays I'd submitted and general history questions such as the best way to write history, where to base oneself, how far one can eliminate bias etc. etc.

Further reading is YOUR choice, no one elses. However, the philosophy of history needs to be an important consideration. If you're completely new to this, Josh Tosh's The Pursuit of History is like a textbook which is the perfect beginners guide to knowing your cultural history from your intellectual history; your historicism from your postmodernism. All very important. In Defence of History and What is History? are seen as standard texts that many people have read which would be interesting. I fell in love with Marc Bloth's The Historian's Craft. I made reference to Bloch in my interview.

Try to go off the beaten path a bit. My interest was the British Empire, particularly its effect on Britain itself; I chose a more academic, not general book. That would be an interesting one. Political history 1700s onwards is an incredibly wide subject that has within it thousands of different subgroups let alone which country or decade you're examining.

If you need any personal advice like personal statements or interview prep give me a pm sometime. If you can be a bit more exact about any areas in history, I can try and be more exact with recommendations of what to read. I read around 11 or 12 books before my interview for various things I mentioned or wanted to mention.

Visit both, and go off the feel of the place itself. Do you want a reasonably large city with a city feel (Oxford) or a smaller city that is more campusy (Cambridge). Do you mind not being able to explore earlier History? If not, Cambridge may well be your place.

EDIT: I see someone from the other place has commented haha. HAT I'd argue is actually the complete other way around; Cambridge isn't more grade focussed given they considerably interview more people, the HAT can still be heavily prepared for in a way that the interview cannot is a fairer test. Not having the HAT was to me a significant advantage of applying to Cambridge. Also... http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings cough
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Maxm79
That was enormously helpful thanks!!
Dont mean to intrude too badly, but what did you get for GCSEs and what are u studying are a-level?
Also, what books did you read? And did interviewers talk about the books in your interview?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Books to do with the 15th, 16th centuries, renaissance, reformation e.t.c. MacCulloch, Starkey, and then more specific academic stuff.

Yeah they did in one of my interviews, the other was a discussion on a sent essay. What I would say is, unlike the poster above, don't get too bogged down in the theoretical side of history, unless you make it explicitly clear that you have an interest in it as a philosophical discipline in your PS. It's, I think, important to know some actual history.
Although, really, it doesn't matter what you read, within reason, just follow what you enjoy and captivates you. People on this forum will be far better disposed to recommend books for you, and less hungover! than me. Although, maybe you should start with some Hobsbawm, he's good for an overview of your period's most significant political changes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by comrade_jon
Not a current undergraduate but given my interview was only a month or so ago I think I can probably help you.

Firstly, let's talk about the courses. You're more limited at Oxford than Cambridge; you can't pick and choose between two many other papers (e.g. politics or classics etc.) because you're expected to pick between Modern History, Ancient and Modern History or History (Modern) and Politics. Sadly the two that give you more bredth have a much more difficult entrance percentages (15% I believe, 30% for the general history).

That to me was the big negative. I'm picking my papers now for Cambridge, and have a choice between stuff going all the way back to 800BC to the present day, which is pretty exciting. Have a look at the papers on offer here: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/part1/index.html

As you can tell, you can make it as 'new' or 'old' as you wish. I will be doing the most modern British History and British Social/Economic papers but be mixing that most likely with the European History paper which is 31AD-800AD, which other than a spot of Augustus which I did in Classic Civ is largely new. I won't explain the whole choosing paper system to you, but I can tell you there is lots of choice particularly in your final year (Part II).

Oxford I know less about, just know from dismissing it last year. However, be aware that Cambridge remains A*AA; Oxford I believe will not be requesting A* for your year, so lucky you; if you feel you won't match the A* then bear that in mind.

This person who you compete against might get better grades, but who loves history more? Which one of you will do better in independent study, who will react to new ideas better? Don't really bother to compare yourself to other people. Although saying that I was pretty much the only Oxbridge level candidate in my school for history, but my school's not that great so hard to tell. Basically, don't worry.

Extracurricular largely doesn't matter. I mentioned debating society which I helped run in my old school and my school magazine, but they don't really care. Show that you're a normal human being, and then talk about your love of history and nothing more in your personal statement; it's three things all put together: how you found history, how history found you, and why everyone should have history. That's basically your entire personal statement, with the odd example of particular interests.

The interviews aren't scary, they're incredible fun. I walked in, they were so nice, my first one I came out of so buzzing about what I discussed and exploring new ideas. No one can divulge individual questions, but the majority of the stuff was off the essays I'd submitted and general history questions such as the best way to write history, where to base oneself, how far one can eliminate bias etc. etc.

Further reading is YOUR choice, no one elses. However, the philosophy of history needs to be an important consideration. If you're completely new to this, Josh Tosh's The Pursuit of History is like a textbook which is the perfect beginners guide to knowing your cultural history from your intellectual history; your historicism from your postmodernism. All very important. In Defence of History and What is History? are seen as standard texts that many people have read which would be interesting. I fell in love with Marc Bloth's The Historian's Craft. I made reference to Bloch in my interview.

Try to go off the beaten path a bit. My interest was the British Empire, particularly its effect on Britain itself; I chose a more academic, not general book. That would be an interesting one. Political history 1700s onwards is an incredibly wide subject that has within it thousands of different subgroups let alone which country or decade you're examining.

If you need any personal advice like personal statements or interview prep give me a pm sometime. If you can be a bit more exact about any areas in history, I can try and be more exact with recommendations of what to read. I read around 11 or 12 books before my interview for various things I mentioned or wanted to mention.

Visit both, and go off the feel of the place itself. Do you want a reasonably large city with a city feel (Oxford) or a smaller city that is more campusy (Cambridge). Do you mind not being able to explore earlier History? If not, Cambridge may well be your place.

EDIT: I see someone from the other place has commented haha. HAT I'd argue is actually the complete other way around; Cambridge isn't more grade focussed given they considerably interview more people, the HAT can still be heavily prepared for in a way that the interview cannot is a fairer test. Not having the HAT was to me a significant advantage of applying to Cambridge. Also... http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings cough

Haha, nice to see some rivalry going on...
And ah I see, so some of the wider reading should be about the study of History itself, in addition to the books on specific history?
So in an interview will you be asked to like summarise their argument/say why you agree or disagree???
It seems exciting though... I think i'd find it hard to fit in 10-11 books, perhaps I'll have to do a lot of reading over Summer.
What did you get in your GCSEs and what are you studying for A-level?
Reply 6
I'm currently a student at Oxford but doing chemistry, so I'll ignore the history questions and try and answer the others.

Keep enjoying the subject, have a nosy round at what you fancy and try and formulate your own opinions and think outside of the box.

Definitely not, as long as you're good at history, enjoy it and can convey that, then you're good enough for the offer :smile:

The chemistry interviews weren't too bad, having some nerves is good but don't worry about them, go in there and be yourself, the tutors will pick you out if you're right for it. I'd suggest not saying you are good orhave a read a lot about a certain area in your PS. I said that I'd read about the building up of the periodic table and I thought I was pretty clued up on it, and they tore me apart, but I guess it turned out alright in the end :P

They don't really care. Obviously write a bit about what you do, but it doesn't have much of an effect.

Oxford is a city, with a university in it, Cambridge is a university, with a city in it in my opinion. Oxford's bigger and a bit more going on, depends what you prefer. Also, I could study chemistry here but I had to apply for natural sciences at Cambridge, but that doesn't apply to you :P

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 7

Aha. I see what you're saying. However, arguably, the HAT means that some people who would get to interview at Camb. (i.e. those with good grades but no or little historical interest), don't at Oxford. It is also a chance for those with worse grades but a real passion for history (not that Cambridge applicants don't have that passion), to ensure an interview. Essentially, I was saying, although this is perhaps over simplified - if you're grades aren't that good, but you're a good historian, you've got a better chance at Oxford, as there is more opportunity to differentiate yourself from other candidates with reference to interest and potential in History specifically.
Reply 8

Yeah they did in one of my interviews, the other was a discussion on a sent essay. What I would say is, unlike the poster above, don't get too bogged down in the theoretical side of history, unless you make it explicitly clear that you have an interest in it as a philosophical discipline in your PS. It's, I think, important to know some actual history.

Ofc you're right to say that, but you only need to know maybe two books which disagree with one another on one area you're interested in to discuss it. Theoretical history allows you to discuss ideas better and evaluate opinions, including your own; I employed far more theoretical thinking in my interviews than actual history, particularly in assessing my own writing.

A big part of both interviews was my own belief that A-Level history is too much based on basic political history and fails to account for cultural and social history, which shows thinking beyond the mere realms of assessing a book you've read.

I think theoretical books, at the very least Tosh's Pursuit of History which explains the basics, sets you up to think far more critically than reading another book with facts and basic opinions, of which A-Level has not set you up to properly assess.

For your A-Levels you don't even need to do much wider reading, in History I gained 100% in my exam and 98% in my coursework by doing the basics plus a little bit more, sadly that's the way A-Levels are; thank god Oxbridge interview. Wider reading is 100% necessary for that.
Reply 9
Aha. I see what you're saying. However, arguably, the HAT means that some people who would get to interview at Camb. (i.e. those with good grades but no or little historical interest), don't at Oxford. It is also a chance for those with worse grades but a real passion for history (not that Cambridge applicants don't have that passion), to ensure an interview. Essentially, I was saying, although this is perhaps over simplified - if you're grades aren't that good, but you're a good historian, you've got a better chance at Oxford, as there is more opportunity to differentiate yourself from other candidates with reference to interest and potential in History specifically.

I vaguelyyyyyyyyy understand, in that you get fewer chances to make said references to your wide knowledge in an interviews (which is only 40 mins or so of talking) at Cambridge than in a 2 hour long assessment or whatever it may be.

However I think that the best historians tend to be the ones who can elocute their thinking and find the right way to say something with ease in a debating manner, so in that respect the fact that so long as you're predicted the grades to get in you're guaranteed an interview is fairer.

My GCSEs and A-Levels were poor compared to almost everyone else there, yet I got my chance on the level playing field of interviews and got in when many others didn't. OP, you should probably be aware that at Cambridge you have to declare all exams you've taken including your retakes. I had to declare my E in Critical Thinking AS and C in Maths AS... but hey once again I still got in.
Reply 10

A big part of both interviews was my own belief that A-Level history is too much based on basic political history and fails to account for cultural and social history, which shows thinking beyond the mere realms of assessing a book you've read.

Yes, I'm currently studying Russia late 1800s to the 1950s and there is barely any mention of the views and activities of the peasants and workers - more about how they were used, and how their unrest symbolised poor policy decisions by the political elite.
Granted, it would be hard to find a well-informed peasant of the time but indefinitely their happiness was a level of success - represented only by "number of peasant disturbances" as opposed to qualitative info.
Original post by Maxm79
Haha, nice to see some rivalry going on...
And ah I see, so some of the wider reading should be about the study of History itself, in addition to the books on specific history?
So in an interview will you be asked to like summarise their argument/say why you agree or disagree???
It seems exciting though... I think i'd find it hard to fit in 10-11 books, perhaps I'll have to do a lot of reading over Summer.
What did you get in your GCSEs and what are you studying for A-level?

10-11 books included some I'd read for my subjects e.g. Livy for Classic Civ, and I made reference to max 4. My big thing in my personal statement was the British Empire but I got no questions on it whatsoever... they just asked me so much about the essays I'd submitted which were from classwork.

Yeah wider history should be the way history is done as you'll soon realise how differently history is handled by different historians.

You might be asked to summarise their argument, if you google quickly you'll find some videos of mock interviews done by Cambridge which vaguely show it. It's more of a debate, like they ask you an open ended question, you go for it and then you might go "Well Bloch said this... which I think is a good way of looking at... Carr said this but I don't like his approach, personally I think..."

All examinations taken a year early than the norm due to the way my school does its curriculum (its a state grammar school, but a ****e one)

My GCSEs were 2 A* (Sciences) 7 A
My A-Levels, completed: A* History, A English Lit, A Religious Studies, A Classic Civ AS (No retakes for any of these)
Also declared to Cambridge but uncashed in C Maths AS (1 retake) E Critical Thinking AS (No retakes)

GCSEs largely don't matter, dw. Just get As or high Bs in your ASs and get the predictions you need and you'll be fine, at Cambridge at least you're guaranteed an interview.

EDIT: You might be interested in module results for some reason or other, so here goes from what I remember. All module results are declared to Cambridge, not that it matters too much tbf. Your results do get altered by your school's average.
History AS: 71/100, 93/100, A2: 120/120, 70something forgotten/80
English Lit AS: 89/100, 81/100; A2 91/120 78/80
RS AS: 100/100, 98/100; A2: 90somethingforgotten/100, 80/100
Classic Civ AS: 78/100, 94/100.

So not the most amazing results you'll ever see, you'll see people with far better at Oxbridge. INTERVIEW. IS. EVERYTHING.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Ofc you're right to say that, but you only need to know maybe two books which disagree with one another on one area you're interested in to discuss it. Theoretical history allows you to discuss ideas better and evaluate opinions, including your own; I employed far more theoretical thinking in my interviews than actual history, particularly in assessing my own writing.

I think theoretical books, at the very least Tosh's Pursuit of History which explains the basics, sets you up to think far more critically than reading another book with facts and basic opinions, of which A-Level has not set you up to properly assess.

For your A-Levels you don't even need to do much wider reading, in History I gained 100% in my exam and 98% in my coursework by doing the basics plus a little bit more, sadly that's the way A-Levels are; thank god Oxbridge interview. Wider reading is 100% necessary for that.

I agree with that. Being interdisciplinary I think is a way to appear more knowledgeable, and shows you appreciate the subject's expansiveness perhaps. E.g, OP, read some Dostoevsky or Tolstoy if you're interested in Russian 19th Century history maybe, just get lots of angles on historical issues, which by no means have to be restricted to historical accounts.

I vaguelyyyyyyyyy understand, in that you get fewer chances to make said references to your wide knowledge in an interviews (which is only 40 mins or so of talking) at Cambridge than in a 2 hour long assessment or whatever it may be.

However I think that the best historians tend to be the ones who can elocute their thinking and find the right way to say something with ease in a debating manner, so in that respect the fact that so long as you're predicted the grades to get in you're guaranteed an interview is fairer.

My GCSEs and A-Levels were poor compared to almost everyone else there, yet I got my chance on the level playing field of interviews and got in when many others didn't. OP, you should probably be aware that at Cambridge you have to declare all exams you've taken including your retakes. I had to declare my E in Critical Thinking AS and C in Maths AS... but hey once again I still got in.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on this. I still feel the ox system better suits those with worse grades. Obviously the fact that you don't have to declare UMS, or even your module grades at all (unless they're cashed). I.e, my friend got into ox having not declared his grades as they weren't cashed. Although I think this changes for your year OP.
Reply 13

Overridden, cough. http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/subject-rankings/arts-humanities

I kid, there's little separating the two, in all honesty.
Original post by placebo24
Overridden, cough. http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/subject-rankings/arts-humanities

I kid, there's little separating the two, in all honesty.

Indeed, I was being a bit jokey lol I mean after all UCL above Oxford, complete rubbish. Totally not bitter about them rejecting me... :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Maxm79
Yes, I'm currently studying Russia late 1800s to the 1950s and there is barely any mention of the views and activities of the peasants and workers - more about how they were used, and how their unrest symbolised poor policy decisions by the political elite.
Granted, it would be hard to find a well-informed peasant of the time but indefinitely their happiness was a level of success - represented only by "number of peasant disturbances" as opposed to qualitative info.

The general point of view you express (too much emphasis on elites, not enough on the 'grass roots') is also held by Prof. Christopher Read at Warwick. His 'From Tsar to Soviets' has the subtitle 'The Russian People and their Revolution' in order to make his case right at the outset. The limited preview in Google Books contains plenty of pages from it, to give you more than a flavour. Read's other, more general work is called 'Making and Breaking the Soviet System'.

He's not absolutely top drawer when it comes to a sparkling argument, but his angle is important, as you have highlighted.

Edit: p.s. Orlando Figes may also be of interest, if you haven't read him already. At the following link there's a review by Read, comparing his own work with that of Figes and contrasting both of them with the more traditional 'elites' approach ('Most predecessors were primarily political and usually rather narrative in structure. Orlando Figes and myself both wanted to get away from this and put an emphasis on the social history..'):

http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/45a
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm a first year historian at Cambridge. During this year I'm doing British political and constitutional history 1700-1914, British Economic and Social History 1700-1914, European history 1890 onwards, and Utopian writing 1500-1789. Of these I've only done bits of the European paper before. In some cases it is even better if it is new to you, for example with the European people it is quite easy to look at it at standard IB/A-level way, and not really challenging yourself

It isn't really just about the A-level grades or whatever, You need to be able to engage yourself in historical study on a deeper level, so while he might seem better now, he might not really be that good a historian. I wouldn't worry about it.

What are some good books for further reading? (I have a particular interest in political history 1700s onwards, but just put what you like :smile: )

I really recommend a wider scope for history than just political history. You'll probably end up doing non-political papers (at least in Cambridge you most certainly will), so its good to show some interest towards other areas of history. And perhaps even going for the angle that in many senses the spheres of history shouldn't be that sharply separated. For example someone here mention Hobsbawm's Age of Extremes. It definitely engages in political history, but fundamentally he is a economic/social historian. I would definitely read books about the nature of history. Tosh's book is an okay overall summary, but not really that interesting. Carr and Evans are classics so it is best to know them, but you might want to look at Bloch and the Annales school for example. At least in Cambridge the paper Historical Argument and Practice forms a fundamental part of your education so you better bring it on. Just to give that extra edge you might want to look at some more obscure, but very well known works that have shaped modern historical scholarship. For example Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and The Worms is a very interesting book, and tends to come up rather often. For British politics, I might recommend for example Jonathan Parry's The Rise and Fall of the Liberal Government, and The Politics of Patriotism, but they are rather academic books. Oh yeah, and then there is for example Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers 1500-2000. An immense book, which is always informative and argumentative, definitely recommended. However, I could go on and on about books I'd recommend so I'll just stop here.

I really enjoyed my interviews. I had three of them, one was a general interview and not really that important. One of them consisted of a rather intense 30 minutes of questions being asked about my PS, essays I'd sent, and just about everything in history. The second one was really interesting, more like a supervision. I was given an extract, which we then discussed for 30 minutes.

Doesn't really matter.

I just liked the feel of Cambridge more, and since I'm very interested in the history of Political Thought this is the place to be. There is a bit more freedom with the papers you do. In the end its based a lot on which university seems to cater your interests for history and life in general better (although I don't see why anyone would choose Oxford :P)
Reply 17
Original post by Maxm79

I am in my third year of single honours History at Oxford.

Original post by Maxm79

Just keep on enjoying History - wider reading, visiting places, watching TV documentaries. Anything really. You certainly don't need to stress about anything.

Original post by Maxm79

As other people have already said, it's very dependent on your year. I was probably one of the best people at History in my sixth form but there were plenty of other people who were really good and just ended up applying for other courses. You just have to feel that the course and the university are right for you - don't worry about anyone else.

Original post by Maxm79

There are loads of university bibliographies floating around on the internet that you can look at for inspiration. E.g. here's one for one of the first year British history papers at Oxford. http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/currentunder/prelims/modhist/british/documents/prelims_hbi_5_october_2009.pdf
It obviously covers things over than just political history but it might make a good starting point.

Original post by Maxm79

The scariest bit is just the unknown element beforehand and the anticipation - once you're in them then most people actually seem to quite enjoy them. Tutors are normally very friendly and sympathetic to the stress that candidates are under and try to put you at ease. I'm quite a self-deprecating kind of person, so I ended up laughing at myself quite a lot in mine, and generally really enjoyed the style of the discussion and thinking about things in a different way.

Original post by Maxm79

Tutors won't be interested in your extra-curriculars in assessing your application, so you should just do whatever interests you. If you enjoy debating then that may be a good sign that you would potentially enjoy an Oxbridge style of teaching, but it's more important for yourself than for the admissions tutors.

Original post by Maxm79

I've never been to Cambridge but I visited Oxford and fell in love with the city, the university and generally everything else. I liked the idea of the HAT because I was nervous about interviews, so figured I would rather be rejected beforehand if it turned out I was way out of my league. The chronological sweep of Oxford's course was more than sufficient for me and I wasn't too enthusiastic about being forced to do Social and Economic history with the Cambridge course.
Generally though I think the courses have more similarities than differences.
Original post by Mook
I wasn't too enthusiastic about being forced to do Social and Economic history with the Cambridge course.

To ignore social and economic history would surely be a huge mistake historically? The main problem with History A-Level is it's just a list of 'great leaders' who on their own supposedly changed everything along with political parties that got voted in and out and enacted legislation which was either effective or ineffective. That's a very tedious and narrowminded way of viewing history.

Not that I'm having a go at your answer I agree entirely that there are a lot of similarities between the two courses but I think doing a Social and Economic paper is the clever choice. And you only have to do one of those, or you can choose to do a load more, it's your choice really.
Reply 19
To ignore social and economic history would surely be a huge mistake historically? The main problem with History A-Level is it's just a list of 'great leaders' who on their own supposedly changed everything along with political parties that got voted in and out and enacted legislation which was either effective or ineffective. That's a very tedious and narrowminded way of viewing history.

:curious: We don't ignore social and economic history - we just study history in general, which historiography ensures inevitably incorporates social and economic history. More specifically, I did a paper in my first year that looked at the interrelation between history and economics, and also history and anthropology, but virtually all of the papers I have done have encouraged a social or economic perspective. :dontknow: I would anticipate that the Cambridge papers are similarly flexible in that the base curriculum rarely entirely reflects the nuances which students end up considering in tutorials/supervisions, but Social and Economic History at face value (which is all I had to go on as a perspective applicant) just seemed a bit close-minded to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending