The Student Room Group

BPTC Scholarship Interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by derbybar
Well as far as I am concerned, my babies are young and if I hadn't decided to try and better myself and go to uni I would only be at home looking after the kids as a full time mum anyway as the way things are with the goverment cuts etc it wouldn't be worth me going to work as I would be earning to pay for child care, we would be no better off. Therefore I thought that it was a good time to go to uni. I had a grant for my childcare throughout university. I started my course when my youngest was 9 months and I was 2 months pregnant with my second. I gave birth during my first year final exams and never missed any exams or had time off. I have worked my arse off balancing bringing the kids up, full time uni and 7 mini-pupillages, 2 weeks work experience, voluntary work for CAB, and I am still predicted a very good 2:1. So if people think that I am going to give up because of the competition which I am fully aware of, they are very much mistaken!! As for being able to survive even if I get a scholarship - I will have all of the bills mentioned if I am or am not on the bptc so it will not make a blind bit of difference! Its the course I am struggling to find spare money for, not montly commitments I already have!

Good for you, your missing my point, but i am not having a go at you and hope you secure both scholarship and pupillage this year. I know many people in your position, including 1 girl (from law degree) who was also holding down a full time job as a single mum while giving birth on the course and acheiving a first. She did not get tc (didnt aspire to bar) nor any interviews, but this was possibly down to the fact she was ex poly and didnt have time to get much legal work exp - although a few bits and pieces at sols firms and uni law clinic.

Just remember other people work their arse off too - in my case in a full time job while studying part time and doing 3 different voluntary jobs - and got my 2.1 and VC just like 1000s of others who didnt secure pupillage did too. If you go to the bptc i am sorry to say you will find your achievments (which are phenominal in the real non bar world) are less than average. I got/get lip service "oh my god your so dedicated" feed back on minis, dining, when in court now, but unfortunatley that doesnt translate past the 1st page of the OLPAS which is often a filter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Well as far as I am concerned, my babies are young and if I hadn't decided to try and better myself and go to uni I would only be at home looking after the kids as a full time mum anyway as the way things are with the goverment cuts etc it wouldn't be worth me going to work as I would be earning to pay for child care, we would be no better off. Therefore I thought that it was a good time to go to uni. I had a grant for my childcare throughout university. I started my course when my youngest was 9 months and I was 2 months pregnant with my second. I gave birth during my first year final exams and never missed any exams or had time off. I have worked my arse off balancing bringing the kids up, full time uni and 7 mini-pupillages, 2 weeks work experience, voluntary work for CAB, and I am still predicted a very good 2:1. So if people think that I am going to give up because of the competition which I am fully aware of, they are very much mistaken!! As for being able to survive even if I get a scholarship - I will have all of the bills mentioned if I am or am not on the bptc so it will not make a blind bit of difference! Its the course I am struggling to find spare money for, not montly commitments I already have!

Actually chambers look very favourably on juggling family commitments with a degree. I mentioned it on my pupillage applications and the feedback so far has all been positive saying how it reflects my commitment and dedication to a career at the Bar. It is also an excellent way of showing that you have great organisational skills. I am in the same position with struggling to find money for the course but having enough to meet my family commitments so I know where you're coming from.
Reply 42
Yes its very difficult isn't it and I would agree with your comments on dedication and commitment. I also have a previous career in the police force before I started my family which I am hoping will help. Along with a very mature ambitious attitude. I lost my parents very young and was in foster care until 16 when I then left and got my own place and went from strength to strength. I'm hoping this ife experience is going to show what type of person I am, one that doesn't give up to easily!!

good for you!

God almighty, sometimes i read these threads and feel oppressed by the crushing negativity of so many posts. i'm all for realism and knowing the odds and all the rest of it, but reading some of this stuff makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

here's what i think, for the very little it's worth: know thyself, know the competition - and then make an informed decision as to whether to take the risk. having looked realistically at my CV and taken the gamble of signing up to the BPTC without securing pupillage, i intend to back myself to the hilt, rather than feel depressed by a million stories about various people who coulda-woulda-shoulda but just didn't make it.

this is a very long-winded way of saying: best of luck! we'll all need it.
Original post by kiltedsheep
good for you!

God almighty, sometimes i read these threads and feel oppressed by the crushing negativity of so many posts. i'm all for realism and knowing the odds and all the rest of it, but reading some of this stuff makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

here's what i think, for the very little it's worth: know thyself, know the competition - and then make an informed decision as to whether to take the risk. having looked realistically at my CV and taken the gamble of signing up to the BPTC without securing pupillage, i intend to back myself to the hilt, rather than feel depressed by a million stories about various people who coulda-woulda-shoulda but just didn't make it.

this is a very long-winded way of saying: best of luck! we'll all need it.

What lovely sentiments. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by kiltedsheep
try this if you haven't already: http://www.facebook.com/notes/inns-of-court-scholarship-tips-icsts/interview-tips-for-middlers/202403689801374

I found that FB group really handy for my BPTC interview at Lincolns - i got £14K! good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. I had been looking on the above FB group and also found it pretty helpfull.

Well done for securing your scholarship from Lincolns.

Good luck with pupillage apps and all that jazz (thats if you havent secured one already).
Reply 46
Original post by charly533
Actually chambers look very favourably on juggling family commitments with a degree. I mentioned it on my pupillage applications and the feedback so far has all been positive saying how it reflects my commitment and dedication to a career at the Bar. It is also an excellent way of showing that you have great organisational skills. I am in the same position with struggling to find money for the course but having enough to meet my family commitments so I know where you're coming from.

I am sure i have read you have a first? That puts your in an entirley different league - child or no. This gives grace for such (true but often overlooked) comments. But juggling a family is like working full time or overcoming an ilness - it adds nothing to an application that is not already of a certain calibre.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by FMQ
I am sure i have read you have a first? That puts your in an entirley different league - child or no. This gives grace for such (true but often overlooked) comments. But juggling a family is like working full time or overcoming an ilness - it adds nothing to an application that is not already of a certain calibre.

From what I've been told by my sponsor, whether it be a First or a good 2.1, juggling family commitments shows good organisational skills and dedication to the Bar over and above someone else who has achieved a similar grade. This is only what I've been told and I'm not stating that it is gospel so you may indeed be correct.
I do however have to respectfully disagree with comparing it to working full time or overcoming an illness. A baby can be up at night every 2 hours (if you're lucky), unlike a job there are no set working hours so you can't organise in advance when (or even if you'll be able) to get your work done, when they are asleep or otherwise preoccupied you're so tired and drained it's a challenge to even get simple housework done let alone writing a 15,000 word dissertation! Plus as they get older they demand more and more of your attention making it more impossible to get any work done.
Before I had my son I did hold down a job and study, so don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's easy. I still would have to say that, from my experience, I don't think it's comparable to parenthood.
To be fair to FMQ I don’t think he was making a value judgement on whether being ill or working at the same time as studying is more or less difficult than raising a child, rather he was pointing out that to a pupillage committee (or the person sifting for interviews) this sort of experience is categorised broadly in the same ‘life experience’ category which, for many chambers, does not make much difference to the success of an application. As difficult and as important as having children is, it’s not a major requirement for success at the Bar and doesn’t carry with it the same appeal as a candidate who is a star mooter or got a double starred First and BCL from Oxford. *
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by LibraryHomeCinema
To be fair to FMQ I don’t think he was making a value judgement on whether being ill or working at the same time as studying is more or less difficult than raising a child, rather he was pointing out that to a pupillage committee (or the person sifting for interviews) this sort of experience is categorised broadly in the same ‘life experience’ category which, for many chambers, does not make much difference to the success of an application. As difficult and as important as having children is, it’s not a major requirement for success at the Bar and doesn’t carry with it the same appeal as a candidate who is a star mooter or got a double starred First and BCL from Oxford. *

I do understand that they would be broadly within the same life experience category and wholeheartedly agree that having children is not a prerequisite to the Bar. The feedback I got from the interview I had in March was that they were most impressed that I had a First, mooting, etc AND had children. Having children in itself will of course not have the same appeal as the candidate to which you refer, but a candidate with the above AND children would, I would suggest, stand out as even more impressive.
Reply 50
I do understand that they would be broadly within the same life experience category and wholeheartedly agree that having children is not a prerequisite to the Bar. The feedback I got from the interview I had in March was that they were most impressed that I had a First, mooting, etc AND had children. Having children in itself will of course not have the same appeal as the candidate to which you refer, but a candidate with the above AND children would, I would suggest, stand out as even more impressive.

THIS - THIS is why you are having more success than most other people in interviews. Else why would those with children and 2.1s not be scoring as many as you? I think it is amazing that you juggle your kids with degree etc - but children or no you would be in the position you are.
Reply 51
Original post by FMQ
THIS - THIS is why you are having more success than most other people in interviews. Else why would those with children and 2.1s not be scoring as many as you? I think it is amazing that you juggle your kids with degree etc - but children or no you would be in the position you are.

I was approaching it differently by comparing like degree grade with like degree grade - with so many people with 2.1s competing (all who have the prerequisite experiences of mooting, etc and most of whom have had to hold down a job alongside studies), the fact of having a family can make you stand out to some degree.

You may indeed be right that I would be getting interviews regardless (we will never know!). However, I still take the view that alongside others with Firsts it helps, because (in my opinion) having children makes a First that much harder to attain.

I think this topic (at least on my part) is exhausted so it may simply be that we will have to agree to disagree!
I was approaching it differently by comparing like degree grade with like degree grade - with so many people with 2.1s competing (all who have the prerequisite experiences of mooting, etc and most of whom have had to hold down a job alongside studies), the fact of having a family can make you stand out to some degree.

You may indeed be right that I would be getting interviews regardless (we will never know!). However, I still take the view that alongside others with Firsts it helps, because (in my opinion) having children makes a First that much harder to attain.

I think this topic (at least on my part) is exhausted so it may simply be that we will have to agree to disagree!

At the risk of protracting the discussion:

I know one person with a First (non-law) who is having trouble getting interviews. I know many others who are not. I do think, however, that at interview family commitments give you an advantage. You are able to point to your ability to prioritise and your commitment to law and a legal career.

Therefore, if I don't get pupillage this time round I shall attempt to impregnate someone in the next three months. In this climate, you have to do anything you can to make the PP form stand out. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by resipsaloq

Therefore, if I don't get pupillage this time round I shall attempt to impregnate someone in the next three months. In this climate, you have to do anything you can to make the PP form stand out. :P

:biggrin:

Very amusing.
Reply 54

I know one person with a First (non-law) who is having trouble getting interviews. I know many others who are not. I do think, however, that at interview family commitments give you an advantage. You are able to point to your ability to prioritise and your commitment to law and a legal career.

Haha! Now that's dedication and commitment to a career at the Bar :biggrin:
Reply 55

Ha ha! It's a pity you're not a woman too because the men have it easy in comparison!!!
Reply 56
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from Middle Temple regarding scholarships? My interview was 2nd June and they said they will inform me within 3 weeks. I have had no response from an email sent to the Inn asking the same, sent last week.
Reply 57
Original post by anon14
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from Middle Temple regarding scholarships? My interview was 2nd June and they said they will inform me within 3 weeks. I have had no response from an email sent to the Inn asking the same, sent last week.

I've heard on this forum it was delayed until this week due to late interviews for people who couldn't make the original dates in the beginning of June. I am still waiting too. Good luck though.
Reply 58
Original post by anon14

Yes i called them on Thursday last week and they said that they were waiting to send the letters with the second batch of results so they are all being sent out this week. I would expect a letter at the earliest tomorrow. At the latest possibly saturday.:colondollar:
Reply 59
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending