This discussion is closed.
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
HI
I was wondering whether anybody who has done unit 2 for Chemistry with Edexcel, knows whether or not you need to know the 'mechanism' of a reacrion (i.e. how UV light breaks up CL2 to form free radicals, and then this induces more free radicals to be produced) or do we just need to know that chlorine and so and so react to form certain products without having to know exectly what goes on.
I would be very grateful for any help :_)
The Best
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
HI
I was wondering whether anybody who has done unit 2 for Chemistry with Edexcel, knows whether or not you need to know the 'mechanism' of a reacrion (i.e. how UV light breaks up CL2 to form free radicals, and then this induces more free radicals to be produced) or do we just need to know that chlorine and so and so react to form certain products without having to know exectly what goes on.
You do NOT need to know the mechanisms, as far as i know. You can just learn it all without knowing why it happens!
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
thnx...have u done the unit then?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The mechanism is not required for unit 2 but will be covered in Unit 5.

You need only be able to classify the reaction as homolytic free radical substitution, understand the conditions necessary to initiate the reaction, the products formed, i.e. a halogenoalkane and hydrogen halide.
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
so u dont need to know about propagation steps and initiation steps?
thnx for all ur help so far
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
HI
Mechanisms are in Unit 5.

J.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so u dont need to know about propagation steps and initiation steps?
thnx for all ur help so far
no u dont....u just need to know the final product...and the conditions and reagents...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads