The Student Room Group

52 mile walk in 24 hours...how to prepare..?

Somone let me know about this earlier and have to say I am intrigued and tempted.....

http://www.theridgewalk.co.uk/

How would one prepare for a 52 mile walk in 24 hours? My physical fitness is probably above average, but this would be the first thing of this kind I'd have ever attempted. Any advice? Tips?
Reply 1

Go hillwalking, its that simple.

Good walking shoes/boots are a must. We used to vasaline our feet to help prevent blisters etc.

Whatever footwear you have make sure it fits properly and is broken in.

One of the sayings in the army was "Break your boots before your boots break you"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I once walked 40 miles in about 20 hours over the north york moors, at the time I think I was about 14. The physical side of it isn't too hard, it's just the willpower to keep going. Definately do it in a group, I couldn't imagine doing it alone. Also your legs will feel a bit jelly-like for a day or too after.
Practise by doing a lot of hiking outdoors...

Start with 1 or 2 hikes of about 10 miles with a decent pair of boots to break them in then crank it up till you're doing about 30 in the course of the day. Then you'll make up the rest on the day...

Walked 50 miles over Dartmoor in under 28 hours... We slept because we're pussies though...
From about midnight till about 4am... It was brilliant...
i did 32 miles in about 10 hours once... so itll be doable but hard workkkk i think. it gets to the point where your legs are just moving on there own.
Reply 5

Distance is not a problem if looking at the website you are on tracks, should be relatively easy to be fair.

Now the fan dance, that was tough!
Had a look at the website. Only carrying a daybag? That'll be a bit easy :tongue:

We had to carry giant 70litre bags full of spare clothes /extra layers and all this other *******s...
And a tent...
Reply 7
wow that sounds amazing. I am pretty sure I can do the walk and just hoped the buz of being part of something so amazing would keep me from thinking it was bed time!
Reply 8
Original post by MattGriff
Go hillwalking, its that simple.

Good walking shoes/boots are a must. We used to vasaline our feet to help prevent blisters etc.

Whatever footwear you have make sure it fits properly and is broken in.

One of the sayings in the army was "Break your boots before your boots break you"

Very good point about the boots but don't forget the socks also make a huge difference, slash out and buy a decent couple of pairs.
you can't really train for the exact challenge as it would take rediculous amounts of time! just be as fit as you can and since it's walking you will be abel to force yourself onwards with some willpower :smile:
Your biggest problem will be tolerance for boredom and sleepiness.

Quick Reply

Latest