Social Life at Bristol..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for the tip. Even better that there are a lot of good gigs. :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Mihajlo
Any good rock bars? Hell, a good metal place is probably almost too much to hope for. :biggrin:

There's the Hatchet Inn, which does a rock night. Dunno if it's any good.
Reply 22
Original post by volante
What's a rah?
(I'm an international applicant!)

Urban Dictionary Definition : Rah

_Kar.
Original post by Mihajlo
Any good rock bars? Hell, a good metal place is probably almost too much to hope for. :biggrin:

I'm heading to Bristol in September hopefully. It sounds like Bristol's in need of a decent metal contingent! I wonder if there's a rock/metal society...
Re above: yeh there is.

http://www.ubu.org.uk/societies/rocksoc

There y'go!
Original post by TurboCretin
Re above: yeh there is.

http://www.ubu.org.uk/societies/rocksoc

There y'go!

They do barcrawls and things, worth looking into if you're into rock/metal. There's an IndieSoc as well if your tastes are a bit more mellow, and LiveSoc if you actually play music yourself (or just like seeing live music in general).
Reply 26
Anybody have any idea of what the social life is like at Manor hall?

(Heard its all single sex corridors)
Reply 27
Contrary to the positive comments above, I personally think the layout of Bristol is weird. The city centre is completely dead most nights. I come from the north east and went to Manchester as an undergraduate so I know comparing them to Bristol is not strictly fair, but the distances involved going between places is off-putting and it is not as great as it is made out to be. Nevertheless, going out is more about who you go out with rather than where you go so if you have a nice group of friends then you will make the dullest little pub a good experience.
Original post by evantej
Contrary to the positive comments above, I personally think the layout of Bristol is weird. The city centre is completely dead most nights. I come from the north east and went to Manchester as an undergraduate so I know comparing them to Bristol is not strictly fair, but the distances involved going between places is off-putting and it is not as great as it is made out to be. Nevertheless, going out is more about who you go out with rather than where you go so if you have a nice group of friends then you will make the dullest little pub a good experience.

I totally disagree that the city centre is "completely dead". I often walk through Bristol at night and there's always people crowding the pavements outside the clubs on Queen's Road. Even on a Sunday there are plenty of people around.
Original post by volante
Anybody have any idea of what the social life is like at Manor hall?

(Heard its all single sex corridors)

It is all single sex corridors, but the JCR put on lots of socials so it's not like you only end up with friends of the same gender!
Reply 30
Original post by dobbs
Depends what you like, it's fantastic for bar crawls due to the number of college bars, and to be fair the union is an amazing venue, it's just not always used for the best events unfortunately. Though Friday nights were great for groups of friends.

Newcastle was 10 minutes away on the train, and you could get the 2am train back to Durham, which was ideal.

As I say, pros and cons to so many places, though I do agree Durham in itself is not great for nightlife of the 'clubbing' variety. And believe me I am a clubber!

2am train? Just getting my stomp on by 2 bro.
Reply 31
Original post by Jackeeba
2am train? Just getting my stomp on by 2 bro.

OK "bro" :rolleyes: well when you go out with a group of mates from Uni you generally have to compromise and get the 2am train. For the hardcore there is also a train sometime around 4am which I got on occasions.
Reply 32
Original post by missionverdana
I totally disagree that the city centre is "completely dead". I often walk through Bristol at night and there's always people crowding the pavements outside the clubs on Queen's Road. Even on a Sunday there are plenty of people around.

Queen's Road is nowhere near the city centre...
Reply 33
Original post by dobbs
OK "bro" :rolleyes: well when you go out with a group of mates from Uni you generally have to compromise and get the 2am train. For the hardcore there is also a train sometime around 4am which I got on occasions.

You devil.
Original post by evantej

Well I live by the fountains which is pretty damn close to the city centre and it most definitely is NOT dead most nights. Maybe if you have only been going out on Sundays...

Distance wise it all depends where you live, but the vast majority of areas where students live are not a long distance at all from clubs/pubs/bars.

If you were implying that Bristol only has dull pubs... well... I don't know where to begin with that -- there are about a trillion places to go drinking in Bristol.

You and I seem to be seeing a very different city.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by atheistwithfaith
Well I live by the fountains which is pretty damn close to the city centre and it most definitely is NOT dead most nights. Maybe if you have only been going out on Sundays...

Distance wise it all depends where you live, but the vast majority of areas where students live are not a long distance at all from clubs/pubs/bars.

If you were implying that Bristol only has dull pubs... well... I don't know where to begin with that -- there are about a trillion places to go drinking in Bristol.

You and I seem to be seeing a very different city.

Seriously, read what I actually wrote.

I did not imply that 'Bristol only has dull pubs'. I suggested that going out has a lot to do with who you go out with, not just where you go; even a dull little pub can be a good experience with a 'nice group of friends'. In addition, I never suggested that there was no where to go out in Bristol (there is a restaurants and bars at the bottom of my building!). What I actually wrote was that the layout of the city is awkward and spread out in comparison to most other big cities so, I assume, people tend to stick to certain areas, thus it is less busy.

I am wedged between Baldwin Street and King Street, and I walk through the city centre most nights and one of my flatmates works in a bar. The only night that has been constantly busy since I lived here is Friday. Most week nights are quiet or dead, and Saturday tends to be hit and miss.
Original post by evantej
Seriously, read what I actually wrote.

I did not imply that 'Bristol only has dull pubs'. I suggested that going out has a lot to do with who you go out with, not just where you go; even a dull little pub can be a good experience with a 'nice group of friends'. In addition, I never suggested that there was no where to go out in Bristol (there is a restaurants and bars at the bottom of my building!). What I actually wrote was that the layout of the city is awkward and spread out in comparison to most other big cities so, I assume, people tend to stick to certain areas, thus it is less busy.

I am wedged between Baldwin Street and King Street, and I walk through the city centre most nights and one of my flatmates works in a bar. The only night that has been constantly busy since I lived here is Friday. Most week nights are quiet or dead, and Saturday tends to be hit and miss.

I think most students tend to frequent the Triangle/Park Street during the week though, or if they're going to Panache/Syndicate :colonhash: go straight there. We don't often venture into the City Centre at all. I've never found it too spread out at all, though then maybe that's because I live in Portsmouth which is massively more spread out than the centre of Bristol is.
Reply 37
Original post by MewMachine
I think most students tend to frequent the Triangle/Park Street during the week though, or if they're going to Panache/Syndicate :colonhash: go straight there. We don't often venture into the City Centre at all. I've never found it too spread out at all, though then maybe that's because I live in Portsmouth which is massively more spread out than the centre of Bristol is.

I agree with that.

Out of interest, and off topic, how are you finding French? I know a few members of the French department and I am actually writing an essay for Bradley Stephens at the moment!
Original post by evantej

Sorry, I should have been clearer - my point was that students tend to go to the clubs in that area, so it's not like Bristol is totally dead at night.
Original post by evantej
I agree with that.

Out of interest, and off topic, how are you finding French? I know a few members of the French department and I am actually writing an essay for Bradley Stephens at the moment!

OOOOH what year are you in? I am finding it ok. Got my oral on the 8th and a bit nervous about it, language exams didn't go amazing :s-smilie: I think I'll have him next year for Modern French Narrative, unless I am very mistaken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending