Are Edexcel easy, or are OCR difficult? Watch

This discussion is closed.
karl_corrick
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
:confused:

Last year I completed my GCSEs, and for the two years that I took Business Studies, I really worked my back-side off and I honestly thought that i had achieved an A grade, at least.
In comparison, at the beginning of year 10 I signed myself up for an extra GCSE in Statistics, however, since I couldn't make it to after school classes, I had an overall attendance record of 5%. Yes, 5% over two years. That's about 4 lessons that i turned up for, out of about 80. I honestly thought that i would achieve a D grade at best, but probably would come out with a U. The statistics paper was with EDEXCEL.

When it came to results day, I had got a C Grade for both courses.

Is this because OCR are really difficult? At my new sixth form, 14 A grades and 5 A* grades were achieved for AQA Business Studies, wheras at my old school, only 1 A was achieved at OCR Business.

Now I am studying Business and Economics as an A-Level, and my class has 4 A* students, and 11 A Grade students in, however I am one of the top three achievers in the class. The examining board is EDEXCEL for this as well.

To me, this suggests that the OCR papers were more difficult, and/or a lower proportion of high grades were awarded.

What do you think of the difference in examination boards? :confused:
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well depends on the syllabus. I personally know that OCR B for Physics, is the least academical subject in the world. To get 70/100 you do not really need a knowledge of physics at all.

So it varies.
FunkyTeenAngel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh i agree it depends on the subject becos everyone always tells me that ocr bio is easier than edexcel.
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Well depends on the syllabus. I personally know that OCR B for Physics, is the least academical subject in the world. To get 70/100 you do not really need a knowledge of physics at all.

So it varies.
I don't think that you can call OCR B the least academic subject in the world because it is a Physics syllabus. Now, think about these subjects...sociology, psychology, health and social care, leisure and tourism (need I go on?). I got into Cambridge with OCR B and they hate non-academic subjects. QED.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OCR seems to be easier in every subject except maths
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whether it was due to shoddy teaching (or not); GCSE Business Studies last year (Edexcel) seemed an oddity in terms of difficulty level.

People predicted A/Bs achieved Ds. No one achieved an A* within my entire year group (2 groups of 25 people), and some of us were clearly at that standard.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise