Edexcel C4 - Exercise 4B - Question 1F (page 40 of the new textbook)

Watch this thread
Stevey-R
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
This question has confused me for the past hour or so, I simply can't match my answer with the back of the textbook. Any help would be appreciated

Find and expression in terms of x and y for dy/dx, given that:

x = 2y / (x^2 - y)

Thanks

Also: the answer given in the back is (3x^2 - y) / (2+x)
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
The way I would approach it is to times both sides by (x^2-y), multiply out all brackets, then differentiate with respect to x.

Then put all dy/dx terms on one side, factorise to get it in the form (dy/dx)(......)=(.....) then you can get a formula for dy/dx.
Stevey-R
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
The way I would approach it is to times both sides by (x^2-y), multiply out all brackets, then differentiate with respect to x.

Then put all dy/dx terms on one side, factorise to get it in the form (dy/dx)(......)=(.....) then you can get a formula for dy/dx.
Thanks tried your method and got the right answer much appreciated. I was struggling away with the quotient rule and just just overwhelmed with the complexity of it all :P
-suze-
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I understand how to get the answer based on the above method, however when I first attempted this question I tried to use the quotient rule (and then the product rule) but couldn't get the answer in the book.

I realise the above method is easier than using the quotient or product rules, I'm just trying to work out where I'm going wrong.

Here is my working:

Many thanks for any help.
Attached files
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stevey-R)
This question has confused me for the past hour or so, I simply can't match my answer with the back of the textbook. Any help would be appreciated

Find and expression in terms of x and y for dy/dx, given that:

x = 2y / (x^2 - y)

Thanks

Also: the answer given in the back is (3x^2 - y) / (2+x)
(Original post by -suze-)
Hi,

I understand how to get the answer based on the above method, however when I first attempted this question I tried to use the quotient rule (and then the product rule) but couldn't get the answer in the book.

I realise the above method is easier than using the quotient or product rules, I'm just trying to work out where I'm going wrong.

Here is my working:

Many thanks for any help.
I read through your workings and couldn't find a mistake.

It's possible for this sort of question to get more than one correct answer.

Since we know that x = 2y / (x^2 - y) always then we could, for instance, take any correct answer and replace x with 2y / (x^2 - y) and get another correct answer.

I haven't tried using this sort of manipulation to show that the textbook answer and your answer are equivilant, but (since this wasn't a 'show that' question) that's unnecessary as you've been able to justify your answer by showing your lines of correct workings.

As it's a question in a textbook then they're probably just including the answer they expect you to get. However if something like this came up in an exam then the mark scheme would list a few alternate methods and answers and tell the examiner to be aware of this issue.
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -suze-)
Here is my working:
Just to confirm what ttoby said. I have worked it through and your answer can, as it must, be manipulated to get the same as theirs. Though it's actually easier to convert theirs to yours.

Outline:

You're told x=...

Hence x+2=...

Now sub that into their answer - that sorts the denominator out.

For the numerator now split  (3x^2-y)(x^2-y) into 2x^2(x^2-y)+(x^2-y)(x^2-y)

For the first set of terms, note from the given equation (rearranged), we have (x^2-y)x=2y. Sub in, and you're done.
-suze-
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Brilliant, thank you very much, I can see now that my answer and the book answer are the same.

I did try to substitute some values of x and y into my answer and the book answer and got different results, so had assumed my answer was wrong, but I've realised I made a mistake when substituting the x and y values, so it all makes sense now.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
21.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.51%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.51%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.64%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
25.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25.53%

Watched Threads