Marxism in Orwell's 1984 AQA Coursework help PLEASE!

Watch
InspiredEmma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For my AQA Critical coursework I've decided to focus it on Marxism in George Orwell's 1984.
I've just finished the book and I'm finding it really hard because..

1984 is about essentially about Marxism so it is hard for me to apply the marxist theory! so i feel like i'm just stating the obvious!!
And.. I can't find an argument within marxism in which to structure the essay around!

So is 1884 not a good book to do for coursework?
How can I do this?
I'm soso stuck!

Any advice or ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by InspiredEmma)
For my AQA Critical coursework I've decided to focus it on Marxism in George Orwell's 1984.
I've just finished the book and I'm finding it really hard because..

1984 is about essentially about Marxism so it is hard for me to apply the marxist theory! so i feel like i'm just stating the obvious!!
And.. I can't find an argument within marxism in which to structure the essay around! […]
I am not surprised you are struggling to structure your essay. Nineteen Eighty-Four 'is [not] about essentially about Marxism' at all; you could have looked at the Wikipedia entry to find this out. In fact, if I were to discuss Nineteen Eighty-Four I would talk about it in the context of Louis Althusser's Ideological State Apparatuses, and use particular examples of how Julia and Winston's lives are influenced vaguely, but perceptibly, by the state.

The most Marxist of Orwell's works is The Road to Wigan Pier, and even here there is an equal emphasis on utilitarianism in the second half of the book.
sfhbzd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (54)
28.27%
No (137)
71.73%

Watched Threads