UCL Social Life...the horrible truth. Watch

This discussion is closed.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
does seem like a bitter UCL reject. I mean, she can't even seem to remember what course she's sposed to have done there.
now she'll claim she 'transferred' from one course to theother or something....
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
now she'll claim she 'transferred' from one course to theother or something....
hehe, yes after quickly realising the mistake she's made. We'll all be waiting for the 'transfer' excuse hehe.
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
Hmmm...I applied for English at UCL and I haven't had a response yet (have had replies from everywhere else). I didn't really want to go there before, but after reading this thread I think it now very unlikely that I'd go there if I got an offer. Do you think I should cancel my application there?
Why?
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cacambo)
Why?
To which part of the post are you addressing this question?
WILKO
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
marina183 - what exactly is it about the asian community at UCL that gets to you? ive got an offer from UCL and im seriously considering it, but you make the people and place out to seem awful. u think LSE would be similar?
sukh_b
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Afraid so. More Calcutta than London.
Wots wrong wiv indians, they know how to have a good time. Sounds to me as if u didnt make many friends and probably were a bit of a loner!i can c your point about living costs,etc. But y u need to bring race into it is beyond me!You'll probably say im being over-sensitive,but your comments are just disgraceful!Maybe you should go to a uni nxt year were there are no asians since they are so domineering at UCL,otherwise it will end up being another year of ur life wasted and another £5000 debt!!!!!!!!!

Ur comments hurt as those from that coconut who agrees with u do!
i bet you wouldnt say these things to an asians face, u wouldnt say them to me without a smack in return,thats for sure!!!!!
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Ok, well here's the info on socialsing...the union is about as lively as an old people's home and hate to say it but if you're anything but asian, you'll stick out like a sire thumb. Union requires you to queue for ages before getting in and drinks are pricey considering its for students. Then after you go in search of some real entertainment, and you will after the UCL union shambles, you'll be faced with typical up their own arse london clubs with a tenner entry fee and extortionate drinks prices. Don;t expect more than 3 drinks for under a tenner.
I say no more....well infact Ive got loads more to say.
When you say asians do you mean oriental or indian? Indians i find are more sociable than the orientals. O my goodness have you been to LSE, no offence but it felt like chinatown, i was a bloody foreigner in my own country.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by sukh_b)
Wots wrong wiv indians, they know how to have a good time. Sounds to me as if u didnt make many friends and probably were a bit of a loner!i can c your point about living costs,etc. But y u need to bring race into it is beyond me!You'll probably say im being over-sensitive,but your comments are just disgraceful!Maybe you should go to a uni nxt year were there are no asians since they are so domineering at UCL,otherwise it will end up being another year of ur life wasted and another £5000 debt!!!!!!!!!

Ur comments hurt as those from that coconut who agrees with u do!
i bet you wouldnt say these things to an asians face, u wouldnt say them to me without a smack in return,thats for sure!!!!!
You see, this I just don't understand? Did I say I didn't like asians?! No, don't think so. So why jump to conclusions? What is so disgraceful about purely and honestly saying that UCL is dominated by asians? Last time I checked, 'Asian' was not a racist term. Or has it since changed? Bit bored are you? Is this website your little bit of excitement for the weekend because you just made an issue out of something completely non-existent. As for the term 'coconut' that you so readily use, you might want to consider exactly which one of us is being racist. Simply becasue the guy agreeing me happened to be asian, you seem to get annoyed? Why does this bother you? Do all asians have to comply to the same conformity?! Sort it out. These are my opinions, if you don't like them you can get stuffed. I didn't like UCL, hence I'm leaving. I made many friends, some of which were asian, but you can't avoid the fact that there is a huge segregation. Now get over yourself and you might wanna send me a pic of yourself.....just so I can say all this to your face...******.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What did you actually study at UCL, Marina??? It's unclear from your posts.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
SAM*
Report 15 years ago
honestly have you got more of a personal problem with UCL cause i have 2 friends who go their one in his first year and one in her fourth- they both love it so much!! It sounds like u are to caught up on the social aspect of it? and what course did u do italian or archeology?
sisyphus
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't go there myself but i know UCL quite well, and i know a lot of people there - white and asian - who have had a very enjoyable time. I'm sorry that you haven't enjoyed it. But, quite frankly, if you can't find something to do in London, then you're the one lacking in imagination. UCL is not like some other universities in that you're compelled to use the university's facilities because of a lack of easy other alternatives, it has the whole of London at its doorstep.

That's not to say that leaving UCL isn't a good idea. Clearly you're not happy, and London and UCL isn't for everyone. But it should be noted that the union facilities at most universities are pretty ****, and many of us enjoy the vibrancy of a diverse student community.

Anyway, all the best with what ever you decide to do.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
What did you actually study at UCL, Marina??? It's unclear from your posts.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
To clear any confusion, I was studying Management and Italian and lived at home. My mate, who is still at UCL, studies archaeology.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by SAM*)
honestly have you got more of a personal problem with UCL cause i have 2 friends who go their one in his first year and one in her fourth- they both love it so much!! It sounds like u are to caught up on the social aspect of it? and what course did u do italian or archeology?
Trust me, I went there hoping to have the best years of my life. I'm game for a laugh, trust me. UCL just hasn't quite got that special something which I've noted at other Uni's. And yes, London is at your doorstep but I'll ask yourself why you don't often go clubbing in London, and that's my reasoning behind why London is infact not the place to go if you're after a student-orientated community. You just won't find it there.
smaug
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think its very generous of Marina183 to give such an honest picture of UCL, and at the risk of being called racist (which I dont think she is). I know a couple of people who have gone to UCL (1 white,1asian, and 1 phillipines 2nd gen)and other London unis and I get the feeling that they are not having such a great time. This is not to say that there isnt a good time to be had, just that its more difficult to find it.

And I think there are several reasons for this. Firstly London is a huge place with some good unis but it is a very expensive place to live so it tends to attract students who live at home. Now if you think about it, who are the kind of students most likely to live at home? Mature students, those who have partners or are older and have their own life, 2nd generation indians from stricter families or who want to live in a more traditional indian way ie stay at home, geeky people who dont care about their social life so theyre happy to live at home and study, and some who were brought up in London and have a boyf/girlf from school and maybe an established circle of out of uni friends . None of these groups are likely to contribute much to having a good time. Im not saying everyones like this at all, just I suspect they are in disproportionate numbers at London unis (all of them -not just UCL).
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by smaug)
I think its very generous of Marina183 to give such an honest picture of UCL, and at the risk of being called racist (which I dont think she is). I know a couple of people who have gone to UCL (1 white,1asian, and 1 phillipines 2nd gen)and other London unis and I get the feeling that they are not having such a great time. This is not to say that there isnt a good time to be had, just that its more difficult to find it.

And I think there are several reasons for this. Firstly London is a huge place with some good unis but it is a very expensive place to live so it tends to attract students who live at home. Now if you think about it, who are the kind of students most likely to live at home? Mature students, those who have partners or are older and have their own life, 2nd generation indians from stricter families or who want to live in a more traditional indian way ie stay at home, geeky people who dont care about their social life so theyre happy to live at home and study, and some who were brought up in London and have a boyf/girlf from school and maybe an established circle of out of uni friends . None of these groups are likely to contribute much to having a good time. Im not saying everyones like this at all, just I suspect they are in disproportionate numbers at London unis (all of them -not just UCL).
Thankyou, its nice to see someone appreciates what I'm trying to do here.
P.S Some very good points.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey y'all just thought you'd like to see what Marina sent me in a PM:

A bitter UCL reject, I think not?
A jealous UCL wannabee? I think so.
You just concentrate on getting you're A-Level results and don't get too distracted by your crazy chess hobby.
Oh and ignore what I said about UCL, seems you're the sort that would fit in there.
Good luck for the exams, sure you'll need it.

Funny eh? Is she calling me a jealous ucl wanabee (which can't be right cuz i got an offer from them which i declined), or is she totally dissin' herself and callin herself a ucl wanabee(which would be pathetic lol)??
No wonder you hated it there Marina, your work probably didn't make sense, if your PM is anything to go by.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
look, maybe you had a bad time, and i do feel for you.

but to make general comments about the state of social life at ucl is ridiculous. it is what you make of it.

i know several people there having the time of their lives.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
look, maybe you had a bad time, and i do feel for you.

but to make general comments about the state of social life at ucl at ridiculous. it is what you make of it.

i know several people there having the time of their lives.
Agreed, it is what you make it to a certain extent, althought it's true one can feel very lonely in such a big city.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

You just concentrate on getting you're A-Level results and don't get too distracted by your crazy chess hobby.
Oh and ignore what I said about UCL, seems you're the sort that would fit in there.

Funny eh? Is she calling me a jealous ucl wanabee (which can't be right cuz i got an offer from them which i declined), or is she totally dissin' herself and callin herself a ucl wanabee(which would be pathetic lol)??
No wonder you hated it there Marina, your work probably didn't make sense, if your PM is anything to go by.
lol....i got a similar pm....and i have an offer from ucl as well.....and i am not considering going there.....guess i'll have to hang with the 'chinks' at imperial....as refered to by theEconomist....
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I think you may be right I'll bet the Archeologists were a little confused when this girl attended lectures trying to speak Italian.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads