UCL Social Life...the horrible truth. Watch

This discussion is closed.
marina183
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Nice, seems I've acquired a few fans.
Look, I posted a thread on here simply letting people know what my experience of UCL was. Why does this bother you so much? Workf for them or something? You both say you have offers but you've declined them. Great for you, then you're in no risk of experiencing what I did.

As for your confusion regarding archeaology, and management and Italian, well, you might want to read some of the previous threads to clarify this matter. Or maybe you don't want to, seems its amusing you both quite a bit.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Nice, seems I've acquired a few fans.
Look, I posted a thread on here simply letting people know what my experience of UCL was. Why does this bother you so much? Workf for them or something? You both say you have offers but you've declined them. Great for you, then you're in no risk of experiencing what I did.

As for your confusion regarding archeaology, and management and Italian, well, you might want to read some of the previous threads to clarify this matter. Or maybe you don't want to, seems its amusing you both quite a bit.
Where as in contrast i will post my view on UCL, which completly contrasts yours... I Love it here, it is an amazing university in one of the best cities in the world. The only thing that i can agree with what you have said is that there is a large number of asians... i agree, but so what? does the colour of your skin make any difference... of course it does not, FFS! You have a 'view' that is either formed from an extremly concieted and lonely life or you are simply lieing. It is not UCL that is bad, it is you who is pathetic.

I hope you all enjoy your tours and interviews...
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
When you say asians do you mean oriental or indian? Indians i find are more sociable than the orientals. O my goodness have you been to LSE, no offence but it felt like chinatown, i was a bloody foreigner in my own country.
Stupid racist.

Bloody foreigner, eh?

Well I was born in this country and Im still considered a foreigner no matter what origin my company is. So who has it worse, me or you?

I've heard other people on UKL say you're a bit of prat and now I think they have pretty good point. Weren't you accepted into Cambridge? Damn, they've let their standards slip.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
When you say asians do you mean oriental or indian?
According to the Concise Oxford (what a nice place!) Dictionary:

'Asian is the preferred term when referring to people, with Asiatic now widely considered derogatory. In Britain it is the usual form for people who come from (or whose parents come from) the Indian subcontinent, while in North America it commonly also includes people from the Far East.'

J.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've found at KCL that it is incredibly mixed, but the thing is, it's so mixed there really is no one majority. You can choose who you want to hang out with, and if you feel that way inclined there will be plenty of people like you whatever your colour.

Myself, I have made so many friends from so many different countries, religions and ethnic groups.

London is not where you should be if you're a closed minded individual... then again, maybe you're not suited to the entire modern world in that case.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)
I've found at KCL that it is incredibly mixed, but the thing is, it's so mixed there really is no one majority. You can choose who you want to hang out with, and if you feel that way inclined there will be plenty of people like you whatever your colour.

Myself, I have made so many friends from so many different countries, religions and ethnic groups.

London is not where you should be if you're a closed minded individual... then again, maybe you're not suited to the entire modern world in that case.
Well said, i agree completly
eLdIablo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Thank god I didn't apply there. With that many Asians I wouldn't fit in well. Despite my brown skin and Bengali origin. You'd have to know me to understand.

Hey asians cant be all that bad....im asian myself but i do understand where your cumin 4rm...oh well thank god i didnt apply there..although one of my friends has...n i dont think she has realised how asian it is..i guess i better give her the news....the only asian perosn she knows is me..lol..
eLdIablo
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eLdIablo)
Hey asians cant be all that bad....im asian myself but i do understand where your cumin 4rm...oh well thank god i didnt apply there..although one of my friends has...n i dont think she has realised how asian it is..i guess i better give her the news....the only asian perosn she knows is me..lol..
k....i knoe my previous message said i knew where sum of the ppl wer cumin 4rm..but actually who the hell applies to go to university in a city that is widely muti-cultural?....i kno that my friend wont mind...jus be a nice change for her to meet lots of new different ppl....but for ppl who think that too asian is not good...jus deal with it....COZ IT'S AN ASIAN INVASION...lol..jus kidin..yeh rite
sukh_b
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You see, this I just don't understand? Did I say I didn't like asians?! No, don't think so. So why jump to conclusions? What is so disgraceful about purely and honestly saying that UCL is dominated by asians? Last time I checked, 'Asian' was not a racist term. Or has it since changed? Bit bored are you? Is this website your little bit of excitement for the weekend because you just made an issue out of something completely non-existent. As for the term 'coconut' that you so readily use, you might want to consider exactly which one of us is being racist. Simply becasue the guy agreeing me happened to be asian, you seem to get annoyed? Why does this bother you? Do all asians have to comply to the same conformity?! Sort it out. These are my opinions, if you don't like them you can get stuffed. I didn't like UCL, hence I'm leaving. I made many friends, some of which were asian, but you can't avoid the fact that there is a huge segregation. Now get over yourself and you might wanna send me a pic of yourself.....just so I can say all this to your face...******.
Wot *****, have i hit a nerve!?seems to me this site is your bit of excitement, ur the one who started the thread - biatch!!!Even if i sent you a pic how am i gonna slap you? Are you thick!?Where i come from i come into contact with NF,BNP on a daily basis.I can tell when some1 is being racist, most coloured people can.So dnt insult me with this GradeA BULL****!!!And to theECONOMIST, come over to Leicester and you'll find out what bein a bloody foreigner in your own country is all about!!!!
Ur renowned intellect will be worth **** all!!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sukh_b)
Wot *****, have i hit a nerve!?seems to me this site is your bit of excitement, ur the one who started the thread - biatch!!!Even if i sent you a pic how am i gonna slap you? Are you thick!?Where i come from i come into contact with NF,BNP on a daily basis.I can tell when some1 is being racist, most coloured people can.So dnt insult me with this GradeA BULL****!!!And to theECONOMIST, come over to Leicester and you'll find out what bein a bloody foreigner in your own country is all about!!!!
Ur renowned intellect will be worth **** all!!
wow the maturity level on that post was sky high
sukh_b
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
wow the maturity level on that post was sky high
Why thank you!
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
lol....i got a similar pm....and i have an offer from ucl as well.....and i am not considering going there.....guess i'll have to hang with the 'chinks' at imperial....as refered to by theEconomist....
Same here, what you studying?

To people such as Marina and anyone else who thinks the same as her:
If you choose a London Uni, invariabley you're going to get loads of different people at the uni and realistically Unis in the middle of nowhere or less well known have quite a high proportion of ethnic minorities also. It's true that sometimes people will go off together in their little groups because they are of the same origin and so can possily connect well, but there are going to be loads of other people who will make friends with everyone and anyone, and you should be one of those people, not look at peoples origins and assume that they won't be your mate just because of it. Marina you're living in the past if you think that going to another uni e.g Brookes is going to mean that there will be more whiteys or soemthing.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Where as in contrast i will post my view on UCL, which completly contrasts yours... I Love it here, it is an amazing university in one of the best cities in the world. The only thing that i can agree with what you have said is that there is a large number of asians... i agree, but so what? does the colour of your skin make any difference... of course it does not, FFS! You have a 'view' that is either formed from an extremly concieted and lonely life or you are simply lieing. It is not UCL that is bad, it is you who is pathetic.

I hope you all enjoy your tours and interviews...
hmm i met a whole bunch of UCL-ers at a house party who were all loving it and about 20 people from my year at school are studying there, those of whom i talk to a lot do all appear to be enjoying it. UCL does seem like a pretty cool place.

but yet i don't understand why marina is being accused of being a racist for not wanting to go to a uni with a high proportion of asian's..my school is now some like 3/4s asian which i have to admit i found kinda weird when i first went there but by the end it seems totally natural. however what distinguished these girls was that they literally were almost all highly competitive and highly ambitious girls. they had in general very overbearing parents who felt it necessary that they had to do medicine/law/economics and most were highly restricted at being allowed out,even when they were 18.

this i've found does continue even now for my friends at ucl, most of which go out once a week or so, i've found it in some way liberating to spend time with people who *do* want to go out and get drunk(how annoying is the no alcohol thing? )this did rather also put me off applying to LSE as the high proportion of foreign students would mean exactly the same thing happening, people who want to work hard and who just *don't* go out.

i dunno, my two cents..
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by rah)
hmm i met a whole bunch of UCL-ers at a house party who were all loving it and about 20 people from my year at school are studying there, those of whom i talk to a lot do all appear to be enjoying it. UCL does seem like a pretty cool place.

but yet i don't understand why marina is being accused of being a racist for not wanting to go to a uni with a high proportion of asian's..my school is now some like 3/4s asian which i have to admit i found kinda weird when i first went there but by the end it seems totally natural. however what distinguished these girls was that they literally were almost all highly competitive and highly ambitious girls. they had in general very overbearing parents who felt it necessary that they had to do medicine/law/economics and most were highly restricted at being allowed out,even when they were 18.

this i've found does continue even now for my friends at ucl, most of which go out once a week or so, i've found it in some way liberating to spend time with people who *do* want to go out and get drunk(how annoying is the no alcohol thing? )this did rather also put me off applying to LSE as the high proportion of foreign students would mean exactly the same thing happening, people who want to work hard and who just *don't* go out.

i dunno, my two cents..
Cheers Rah,
I can believe how hyper-sensitive this world has become. When I was describing how **** I found UCL the fact that it was dominated by asians was purley one aspect I pointed out of many. And yes, I did feel slightly isolated cos yes I know not all asians are like, but many of them do group together, as do many other cultures. Is this so unpolitically correct and racist that I can't even mention it?!
As for me being pathetic and not up to mixing with a multi-cultural society try this, I'm a girl born and brough up in England, with Italian parents, an irish boyfriend, and close mates of every colour under the sun. I do like a mix, all I'm saying is that this mix at UCL is very prominant and so much so that I found there were fewer white people?! Why is it so WRONG to say this?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
all I'm saying is that this mix at UCL is very prominant and so much so that I found there were fewer white people?! Why is it so WRONG to say this?
So you're saying that other people from different origins aren't allowed to be prominent? They're supposed to not be seen just so white people can stand out??

By looking for white people to hang out w/ you are perpetrating the same 'sin' that other asians do when they hang out together in closed lil groups just because of their origin.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by BossLady)
So you're saying that other people from different origins aren't allowed to be prominent? They're supposed to not be seen just so white people can stand out??

By looking for white people to hang out w/ you are perpetrating the same 'sin' that other asians do when they hang out together in closed lil groups just because of their origin.
Oh please shut up, get over yourself and stop being such an argumentative nonse.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh please shut up, get over yourself and stop being such an argumentative nonse.
Well seeing as you can't debate it properly and have nothing to say against my statements, I shall assume it's because you secretly agree with my points.
marina183
Rep:
?
Well seeing as you can't debate it properly and have nothing to say against my statements, I shall assume it's because you secretly agree with my points.
Yep, that must be it.
FunkyTeenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well it is a little wierd to live in england and find more asians than english at certain unis.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

you are just being pointlessly argumentative, it doesn't say that at all, stop trying to make assertions based on no evidence-ie actually read her posts
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (218)
68.13%
No (102)
31.88%

Watched Threads