UCL Social Life...the horrible truth. Watch

This discussion is closed.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
you are just being pointlessly argumentative, it doesn't say that at all, stop trying to make assertions based on no evidence-ie actually read her posts
No, if YOU actually read her post, it does seem to be what she is trying to say.....
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, what the original poster is trying to say is that he or she does not like that fact one is not in a majority position if one if white at UCL. Whether this is true or false I do not know, but I do not see how this is necessarily a bad thing unless one is inheritantly racist against non-whites.
wizard
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I wouldn't be feeling so comfy if I was like a foreigner in my country. It's democratic to respect her opinion.. Trying to make her feel like a racist is totally wrong.

Why don't you comment on the fact that unis want to recruit many overseas to raise their funding?

On the other hand, most of you don't want the introduction of "differential fees" from the goverment, but hey, when overseas students will be almost as many as the UK ones, many of you will start changing your mind and forgetting about your democratic "sensitivities"..

I d like to know, how many of you share your real life opinions with the virtual life ones you' re expressing here..

The only ones who are expressing their -real- opinions are, actually, the persons who felt offended by her comments. In this case, the people of asian background and those (and only those) I can respect, as much as I respect her opinion.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
Now get over yourself and you might wanna send me a pic of yourself.....just so I can say all this to your face...******.
Nice, seems I've acquired a few fans.
Look, I posted a thread on here simply letting people know what my experience of UCL was. Why does this bother you so much? Workf for them or something?
Oh please shut up, get over yourself and stop being such an argumentative nonse.

It is fast becoming obvious why your social life at UCL may not have taken off as expected...

Enjoy Portsmouth.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
I wouldn't be feeling so comfy if I was like a foreigner in my country. It's democratic to respect her opinion.. Trying to make her feel like a racist is totally wrong.

Why don't you comment on the fact that unis want to recruit many overseas to raise their funding?

On the other hand, most of you don't want the introduction of "differential fees" from the goverment, but hey, when overseas students will be almost as many as the UK ones, many of you will start changing your mind and forgetting about your democratic "sensitivities"..

I d like to know, how many of you share your real life opinions with the virtual life ones you' re expressing here..

The only ones who are expressing their -real- opinions are, actually, the persons who felt offended by her comments. In this case, the people of asian background and those (and only those) I can respect, as much as I respect her opinion.
Thankyou.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Please do not make mince meat with marina, if you are looking for racism you can start with other members! Vienna is pretty famous for strong comments but there are others who completely agree with her. I don´t wanna call names here but you can check out the "prostituion shoul dbe legal" thread if you wanna know what I mean!
The difference is marina has NOT said asians were in any way inferior (a comment some others have dropped many a time, even though not about asians!).
And yes, the term asian is as politically correct as African, European and whatever continets there are; I personally do not find the term "black" or "white" in any way incorrect, in Africa they don´t either by the way.
Eve
Report 16 years ago
Ok u sad cow.
Just as well your not studying english at university you DROP-OUT!
'sire thumb'
Just because you couldnt get on well at UCL, maybe its a reflection upon your own personality...ever thought about that?
Why did you apply to London if you've got a problem with a multcultural ethnic society?
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eve)
Ok u sad cow.
'sire thumb'
Just because you couldnt get on well at UCL, maybe its a reflection upon your own personality...ever thought about that?
Why did you apply to London if you've got a problem with a multcultural ethnic society?
Aggressions? Need a therapy? Feeling threatened, awake at night?

This is a free forum and if somebody says something negative it is not the end of the world. I do not know if that is really your first post, if yes you should maybe leave it like this and look for another place.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eve)
Ok u sad cow.
'sire thumb'
****, I didn't realise I had to use grammatically correct English on this website? Did I miss that rule or something?
Thinks someone needs to chill.
Oh and with regards to being a 'drop-out' (does that make you feel better?), it's a decision I chose because I want to better my situation and have a great time at Uni because unlike what I discovered about UCL, its not all about burying your head in a pile of books.
To be honest, I've now got myself a great job in order to earn back the money i wasted during my time at UCL and even have quite a bit left over to keep me financially stable when I start uni again, not to mention the great work experience....oh well, if you'er lucky one day I might just hire you to make my coffee. See you then.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eve)
Ok u sad cow.
'sire thumb'
Oh, and you might want to check out a few anger management sessions in your area by the look of thing.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, and you might want to check out a few anger management sessions in your area by the look of thing.
Marina - Did you not see so many Asians when you went to look around? Or did you suddenly realise you didn't want to be amongst asians?
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
Marina - Did you not see so many Asians when you went to look around? Or did you suddenly realise you didn't want to be amongst asians?
Yes I did see many but it didn' bother me as I went to a sixth form college where almost 50% of students were asian. However, when I started UCL I realised that there is a huge segregation between races there, whether people accept it or not. Even my asian Uni mates firmly agree with me on this point, hence I'd prefer to attend a uni where there segregation doesn't occur, or at least where it isn't so in your face and obvious.
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i, for one, appreciate your comments mariana. I have applied for UCL to do english and i'm not so sure if i wanna go...NOT BECAUSE OF THE ASIANS...but because of the expense!
Might i just make a little comment....in this forum SO many people **** off americans, and as there are quite a few americans who post regularly on here you would think there would be a bit of tension, but no there isn't because people realise that it's the politics or certain aspects they have problems with. Mariana never once did anything VAGUELY resembling ****ging off like these other posts have, all she ever did was pointed out the racial distribution. There wouldn't be a problem if it was an asian stating that there was a white majority, so why is it the other way around?!
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)
i, for one, appreciate your comments mariana. I have applied for UCL to do english and i'm not so sure if i wanna go...NOT BECAUSE OF THE ASIANS...but because of the expense!
Might i just make a little comment....in this forum SO many people **** off americans, and as there are quite a few americans who post regularly on here you would think there would be a bit of tension, but no there isn't because people realise that it's the politics or certain aspects they have problems with. Mariana never once did anything VAGUELY resembling ****ging off like these other posts have, all she ever did was pointed out the racial distribution. There wouldn't be a problem if it was an asian stating that there was a white majority, so why is it the other way around?!
Thankyou.
What you say is so true and in today's society there us so much of offending and being politically incorrect that we cant state the obvious, e.g. black, white....ASIAN! Why do we have to constantly walk on eggshells so as not to offend, and then in the end, i often find its white people that are discriminated against.
We are what we are, and if one don't like being recognised for what one is such as ASIAN, BLACK, WHITE, then we're only right to assume that they are infact the ones with the issues.
marina183
Rep:
?
Thankyou.
What you say is so true and in today's society there us so much of offending and being politically incorrect that we cant state the obvious, e.g. black, white....ASIAN! Why do we have to constantly walk on eggshells so as not to offend, and then in the end, i often find its white people that are discriminated against.
We are what we are, and if one don't like being recognised for what one is such as ASIAN, BLACK, WHITE, then we're only right to assume that they are infact the ones with the issues.
Excuse the bad english, I'm in a rush trying not 2 get spotted by my boss.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingpong)
Sweet jesus there are a load of complete pricks on this message board.
Yep, and now, evidently, there are more.
evon
Report 16 years ago
just because they decided to deal with their negativity in a more verbal way doesn't mean you have to get sarcastic. they have one thing going for them which most of you don't especially you marina -they're not racist scum.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why is it that as soon as someone says something perfectly reasonable about ethnic minorities (or in the case of UCL majorities) they are shouted down as being racist.
marina183
Rep:
?
(Original post by evon)
just because they decided to deal with their negativity in a more verbal way doesn't mean you have to get sarcastic. they have one thing going for them which most of you don't especially you marina -they're not racist scum.
I said there are lots of Asians in UCL, hence I'm racist scum.
Don't think so somehow.
If you think that is being racist then you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
You seem like an absolute nob after that comment, nice one.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Why is it that as soon as someone says something perfectly reasonable about ethnic minorities (or in the case of UCL majorities) they are shouted down as being racist.
because as someone said there are a lot of idiot trolls reading the board
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads