The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
I'm pretty confident on my tectonics and my world cities, but Weather is going to be screw me over I think. Only got taught it at the end of the year, all quite rushed and quite brief, so my notes are really limited. I assume there's no chance than anyone here has any notes on Monsoons, Global Climate Change or Weather as a whole? :/
Reply 1181
Original post by Josh.Holloway
Im wondering, for the tectonics essay, when i write about my case studies, can i basically write out all about one case study and then write out another and then compare them both? Or is it better and id get more marks for integrating the two and comparing key facts between them as i go through talking about them?

Second one, integrating and comparing them together. But as long as you don't just list all the facts for one, then the other without comparing anything, it should be Ok.

I'm doing the tectonics essay too. Just remember to mention social, economic and environmental factors when possible for the synopticity marks.
Hi guys, it looks like from reading past post that urbanisation is quite likely to come up? i only have a case study on mumbai, do u think thats enough?also if a question is set on this can you talk about past urbanisation that took place in western cities like manchester ect? cheers
Does ANYONE here get the heat budget stuff? T_T :frown:
Original post by PianoPlayer93
The question at hand will determine my success. Some areas are as dodgy as hell and some I'm OK on. I suppose it's the same like any other exam, but the scary thing is they are huge essays which we've never had in geography before without mini questions. :frown:

I know what you mean, I mean the last time I did an essay for an exam was GCSE english! haha

man I am dreading this paper, I want it to be over and done with now!
Didn't get a lot of sleep cause I was worrying :/

Just gotta go over succession and tropical storms and then I give up because I'll end up stressing out too much

good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by In_Infamy
Does ANYONE here get the heat budget stuff? T_T :frown:

yeah i do. On the lowdown just try to think of the system as a series of inputs and outputs of energy, and how that energy is radiated, absorbed and reflected by certain factors within atmosphere and on earth. Insolation is the short wavelength input energy into the system from the sun, and once the earth absorbs it and re-emits it, its long wave radiation.

Edit: Also the idea that theoretically the areas of low latitude near the equator that are nearer to the sun will become hotter due to more concentrated radiation over a smaller area of land. Whilst theoretically its thought that the poles with high latitude would just get colder and colder as its further away from the sun with quite less concentrated rays over a larger area of earth. This is not the case as you know, so air must circulate around, adressing the energy deficit between both areas!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm crapping myself ive never been so worried about an exam in my life!
Reply 1187
Original post by Reccoshai
Hi guys, it looks like from reading past post that urbanisation is quite likely to come up? i only have a case study on mumbai, do u think thats enough?also if a question is set on this can you talk about past urbanisation that took place in western cities like manchester ect? cheers

It's quite possible it could come up in the SQ, so Mumbai should be enough (that's the only CS I'm learning). Also worth knowing the definition, the background (1800s, industrial revolution, rapid increase in LEDCs in 1950s, slight decline in 1960s in MEDCS) and the push/pull factors (social, economic, environmental, demographic).
let's just say ive been tipped... essay on tectonics is hazard based, but without an economic spin on things. So possibly a bit of theory there.

As for section a i have no clue as to what it is. Wouldn't mind hurricaines as long as its not weather and climate.
Reply 1189
anyone help me with mumbai???
Reply 1190
Original post by makingamemory
I know what you mean, I mean the last time I did an essay for an exam was GCSE english! haha

Just gotta go over succession and tropical storms and then I give up because I'll end up stressing out too much

Are tropical storms (Hurricanes?) likely to come up, do you think?

Bleh, weather is too hard.
Original post by Josh.Holloway
yeah i do. On the lowdown just try to think of the system as a series of inputs and outputs of energy, and how that energy is radiated, absorbed and reflected by certain factors within atmosphere and on earth. Insolation is the short wavelength input energy into the system from the sun, and once the earth absorbs it and re-emits it, its long wave radiation.

Edit: Also the idea that theoretically the areas of low latitude near the equator that are nearer to the sun will become hotter due to more concentrated radiation over a smaller area of land. Whilst theoretically its thought that the poles with high latitude would just get colder and colder as its further away from the sun with quite less concentrated rays over a larger area of earth. This is not the case as you know, so air must circulate around, adressing the energy deficit between both areas!

I get that bit but in the text book, there's all this stuff about scattering, absorption....90% absorbed by clouds....80% by ice...shouldnt it be reflected?
Reply 1192
Original post by Helen18
anyone help me with mumbai???

Someone provided their notes last night, not sure how to upload and can't find the post so will just copy and paste (so not my notes):

Case Study: Dharavi, Mumbai, India (Urbanisation LEDC)

Background:
? Not capital city, but it is the biggest with a population of 14,500,000
? India’s financial centre, a major port and home of ‘Bollywood’ movie industry
? Typical fast growing city which it can’t cope with from migration and population growth
? Used to be small place full of fishing villages and encouraged development, but failed
? British colonial peoples set it all up and when they left, the place had a boom in development
? Becoming a world city
? Now heavily overcrowded, drawing in people from all over India who are uneducated and unskilled, this has led to cheap suburbs being created, transport overcrowding and slums being made at the outskirts of the city for the poorest of the poor
? One partially successful attempt for control was to move the money making centres to Navi Mumbai to the east, but it still left a lot of people in Mumbai and hasn’t stopped growing, with the main concern being Dharavi

The Problem:
? Most likely the biggest slum in Asia with 600,000 people
? Makes around $40 million a year but takes up the area which rich Mumbai should be moving to as the city grows with valuable land
? Dharavi lies across a narrow part of the peninsula and can’t move, causing conflict between the developers and residents.

The Solution:
? Governments of Mumbai etc. want to destroy the housing in stages, giving temporary accommodation, make proper housing and seven storey buildings, then re-enter the population if they have been living there since 1995, therefore they can use more of the expensive land
? The rest of the land will be sold or made into an open market
? BUT they need the agreement of the majority of Dharavi population for the go-ahead, which some residents worry that once it does finally go ahead, that some of their land will go even more to business through dirty tactics, reducing the size for a population there.
Reply 1193
actually dying of nervousness right now for this exam.... omg
Original post by makingamemory

i keep smiling and it tricks my body into feeling happy, a little tip if you need a pick-me-up in the exam xD
Good luck!
Original post by Abby :)
actually dying of nervousness right now for this exam.... omg

It's OK keep cool x
Original post by PianoPlayer93
It's OK keep cool x

yer - that!
Still plenty of time to have a little jog over the case studies and a bit of theory
It sounds cheesy but positive thinking really works wonders, just imagine that A. The grade boundaries are low anyway, just write something and I'm sure you'll get marks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by In_Infamy
I get that bit but in the text book, there's all this stuff about scattering, absorption....90% absorbed by clouds....80% by ice...shouldnt it be reflected?

yeah there is some reflection as well, so you can talk about it
Reply 1199
Original post by Sefton93
Someone provided their notes last night, not sure how to upload and can't find the post so will just copy and paste (so not my notes):

Case Study: Dharavi, Mumbai, India (Urbanisation LEDC)

Background:
? Not capital city, but it is the biggest with a population of 14,500,000
? India’s financial centre, a major port and home of ‘Bollywood’ movie industry
? Typical fast growing city which it can’t cope with from migration and population growth
? Used to be small place full of fishing villages and encouraged development, but failed
? British colonial peoples set it all up and when they left, the place had a boom in development
? Becoming a world city
? Now heavily overcrowded, drawing in people from all over India who are uneducated and unskilled, this has led to cheap suburbs being created, transport overcrowding and slums being made at the outskirts of the city for the poorest of the poor
? One partially successful attempt for control was to move the money making centres to Navi Mumbai to the east, but it still left a lot of people in Mumbai and hasn’t stopped growing, with the main concern being Dharavi

The Problem:
? Most likely the biggest slum in Asia with 600,000 people
? Makes around $40 million a year but takes up the area which rich Mumbai should be moving to as the city grows with valuable land
? Dharavi lies across a narrow part of the peninsula and can’t move, causing conflict between the developers and residents.

The Solution:
? Governments of Mumbai etc. want to destroy the housing in stages, giving temporary accommodation, make proper housing and seven storey buildings, then re-enter the population if they have been living there since 1995, therefore they can use more of the expensive land
? The rest of the land will be sold or made into an open market
? BUT they need the agreement of the majority of Dharavi population for the go-ahead, which some residents worry that once it does finally go ahead, that some of their land will go even more to business through dirty tactics, reducing the size for a population there.

Thank you! I've done delhi in india but nobody else seems to have done it :/ It's the same sort of stuff about slums and thing though!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending