The Student Room Group

MSc Occupational Psychology - please help me out

Sorry this might be a bit long, but any help would be much appreciated.

I got this urge to apply to some occupational psych programmes the other day. I'm still waiting on hearing the BPS' decision with regards to my undergraduate degree, seeing as it's overseas, but presuming they consider it GBC worthy, which university would you recommend? My choice would be Manchester seeing as ideally afterwards I'd just like to get a job and stay there for a few years, but I'd like to apply to a few more and increase my chances. I should say I don't have heaps of experience (couple of HR internships while at university; afterwards worked at a position that was completely unrelated to my degree for a year, but I got to observe some really horrible HR policies and management put into practice, so maybe it wasn't such a useless experience?). My average also isn't too brilliant, but I don't think it's horrible either (~73-ish%, B average). Considering I'd be paying international fees (~15 000), which do you think would be the best choice?

Please recommend some.

This is the list of universities with accredited programmes from the BPS website:

Aston
Birkbeck
City University
Coventry
Gloucestershire
Goldsmiths'
Hertfordshire
Kingston
Leicester
Liverpool John Moores
London Metropolitan
Manchester
Northumbria
Nottingham
Sheffield
Surrey
East London
Wolverhampton
Worcester

Also, I saw that some universities offer an MSc in Organizational Behaviour for people whose undergraduate degree doesn't make the GBC cut. The fees are the same though and since I don't think those programmes are BPS approved, is it worth the bother and money? Are those degrees just for foreigners who don't actually intend on working in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
any thoughts are more than welcome...
I'm in the process of applying to Occupational Psych courses as well and have been applying to unis mainly in London. I started by looking up university rankings online and narrowed down my search based on that. A good idea is to also think about the size of the city/town you want to study in and the living costs. If you want to become chartered after doing the MSc you might also want to think about graduate opportunities and chances of finding a supervisor that you can work with for two years after you finish the post grad.

The universities that I applied for in the end are:

Birkbeck - great reputation, they offer evening classes and network learning which is easier to combine with working, part of University of London
City University - really good graduate employment rates, modern facilities, they have had several students win awards for their work in recent years, lectures are over two week days 9am-5pm
Goldsmiths' - great reputation, lectures are over two weekdays 9am-5pm

I also considered applying to these ones which from reading/hearing about them seem to have good reputations:

Gloucestershire
Leicester
Liverpool John Moores
Manchester
Nottingham
Sheffield

I recently applied to the BPS to have them assess my Australian undergrad degree and had no problems in getting the Graduate Basis for Registration. It only took a couple of weeks too for the to process the application.

Feel free to PM me as well if you want to talk further.
Reply 3
Original post by thewaythingsare
I'm in the process of applying to Occupational Psych courses as well and have been applying to unis mainly in London. I started by looking up university rankings online and narrowed down my search based on that. A good idea is to also think about the size of the city/town you want to study in and the living costs. If you want to become chartered after doing the MSc you might also want to think about graduate opportunities and chances of finding a supervisor that you can work with for two years after you finish the post grad.

The universities that I applied for in the end are:

Birkbeck - great reputation, they offer evening classes and network learning which is easier to combine with working, part of University of London
City University - really good graduate employment rates, modern facilities, they have had several students win awards for their work in recent years, lectures are over two week days 9am-5pm
Goldsmiths' - great reputation, lectures are over two weekdays 9am-5pm

I also considered applying to these ones which from reading/hearing about them seem to have good reputations:

Gloucestershire
Leicester
Liverpool John Moores
Manchester
Nottingham
Sheffield

I recently applied to the BPS to have them assess my Australian undergrad degree and had no problems in getting the Graduate Basis for Registration. It only took a couple of weeks too for the to process the application.

Feel free to PM me as well if you want to talk further.

wow, I've lost all hope that anybody was in the same boat as me or was willing to offer some advice. thanks for writing! so you're from Australia? it's nice to know you had no problems with the BPS assessing your degree. I've sent my transcript and got an email on Friday saying that by the end of this week they will let me know if I qualify or not. when did you apply to psych programmes? did you get any news from the universities yet? Manchester would be my first choice mainly because I like the city and the uni has a good reputation, but I think I will apply to a few of the London ones just to hopefully increase my chances and options. I think I have more questions but I will wait and see first to hear what the BPS will decide. I'll probably pm you later this week. :smile:
Original post by lisa_87
wow, I've lost all hope that anybody was in the same boat as me or was willing to offer some advice. thanks for writing! so you're from Australia? it's nice to know you had no problems with the BPS assessing your degree. I've sent my transcript and got an email on Friday saying that by the end of this week they will let me know if I qualify or not. when did you apply to psych programmes? did you get any news from the universities yet? Manchester would be my first choice mainly because I like the city and the uni has a good reputation, but I think I will apply to a few of the London ones just to hopefully increase my chances and options. I think I have more questions but I will wait and see first to hear what the BPS will decide. I'll probably pm you later this week. :smile:

I'm from Sweden originally, but I did my Honours degree in Australia. So now when I apply to a course in the UK I count as an EU student which means I pay Home student fees and not international fees.

After I got an e-mail saying the BPS were processing my application for GBC/GBR it took 1-2 weeks before I got a letter from them saying it had been approved. My applications were sent in during Nov-Dec last year and I had replies from all three within a couple of weeks in January.

I've had replies from all three unis I applied to. One gave me an unconditional offer and two offered me interviews. I've had another offer from one of the interviews and is having the second interview next week.
Reply 5
@thewaythingsare:

may I ask you when you had the interview at city? how long took it till they replied and offered you a place or not??

Thanks for you answer
Reply 6
Original post by thewaythingsare
I'm from Sweden originally, but I did my Honours degree in Australia. So now when I apply to a course in the UK I count as an EU student which means I pay Home student fees and not international fees.

After I got an e-mail saying the BPS were processing my application for GBC/GBR it took 1-2 weeks before I got a letter from them saying it had been approved. My applications were sent in during Nov-Dec last year and I had replies from all three within a couple of weeks in January.

I've had replies from all three unis I applied to. One gave me an unconditional offer and two offered me interviews. I've had another offer from one of the interviews and is having the second interview next week.

thanks for the info. I was just wondering, what were the interviews like?
I had an interview at City a couple of weeks ago. It consisted of a group information session with 12 people where they told you about the course, how it's structured, courses involved, lecturers on the course etc. Then they did an individual interview with a lecturer. I had an offer by letter from them last week.

Goldsmiths also held a group information session and then an individual interview with two lecturers. Everybody was really nice and made you feel very welcome at both unis.

Both interviews were quite informal and both unis have interview sessions about once a month until they have filled all places on the course. I would apply ASAP to these courses as there is definitely a limited number of places available and only about 15-20% of all applicants are able to get on the course. It's very much on a first come first serve basis in order to get in.
Reply 8
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice--- I've applied to three institutions for Occupational Psychology at Birkbeck, Goldsmiths and Surrey. I have been offered interviews by the two latter ones, but I have no idea what to expect of the interview at Goldsmiths. If I could just ask thewaysthingsare: In the group session were you given a case study? And in the individual interview did they ask many occupational psychology based questions? If anyone could offer any advice that would be great!

Thanks!
Original post by mdott
Hi all,
In the group session were you given a case study? And in the individual interview did they ask many occupational psychology based questions?

In the group session we got a chance to meet the programme director and a few other lecturers and we got a presentation (Powerpoint slides given as a handout) with detailed information about the course and then we got to speak to two former MSc students now doing their PhDs at Goldsmiths. There were no questions or other tests of your org psych knowledge.

The individual interview was about 20mins long and was with two lecturers. It was fairly informal and just went over things like why you want to do the course at Goldsmiths, what's your statistics knowledge like in general, do you have GBR, what did you write your Honours thesis on and what statistical tests did you use to test your hypothesis. There's nothing really unexpected in there.

Everyone were really friendly at Goldsmiths and they are very proud of the course they offer as well.

Feel free to PM me with further questions. I have now accepted the offer I got from Birkbeck so will be starting their full-time course in October. :smile:
Reply 10
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me and answering my questions.

May I ask whether you are perusing the path to becoming an accredited Occupational Psychologist? I hope to become an Occ Psy also, and was wondering whether you thought that there were greater opportunities in London for supervised practice post- Masters? I also applied to Surrey and have been invited to interview. However, I am unsure how academically/ practice- oriented each of these institutions are and whether this makes a difference to the ways in which we seek supervised practice/ employment after we graduate. (P.S. I noticed you had not written Surrey University under the list of universities outside London that were also rather good- can I ask why? It would be great if you could provide some sort of insight into that). And finally, why did you choose Birkbeck?- I am yet to hear from Birkbeck myself.

Kind Regards,

Mdott.
Original post by mdott

May I ask whether you are perusing the path to becoming an accredited Occupational Psychologist?

Yes, I'm hoping to be working towards chartership under a supervisor after I complete the MSc.

I hope to become an Occ Psy also, and was wondering whether you thought that there were greater opportunities in London for supervised practice post- Masters?

Yes. And also because London is where a lot of the jobs I want to do are based. I'm hoping to get into L&D (learning and development) or a role where I'm using psychological assessment in some way and so many jobs seem to be based in the head offices for large companies which are often in London. Also, in terms of further training with the BPS a lot of that also seems to take place in London so by studying down there it means I have the chance to build a network even while studying. This is very important for me as I'm moving down from Edinburgh so won't know any people in London before I start the course. (I might have applied to do the course at a Scottish university to avoid relocation if possible, but none of the unis in Scotland offer the course and then I figured I may as well move to the major hub of activity in the org psych area in the UK.)

I also applied to Surrey and have been invited to interview. However, I am unsure how academically/ practice- oriented each of these institutions are and whether this makes a difference to the ways in which we seek supervised practice/ employment after we graduate.

I think most of the MSc courses are quite theoretical but involves lots of case studies. Since most people on the course will also have a fair amount of work experience before starting the course anyway that should lead to quite a few interesting discussions as everyone can just refer to their own experiences from 'the real world' when you learn about specific theories.

(P.S. I noticed you had not written Surrey University under the list of universities outside London that were also rather good- can I ask why? It would be great if you could provide some sort of insight into that). And finally, why did you choose Birkbeck?- I am yet to hear from Birkbeck myself.

When I decided that I wanted to move to London I just made a list of all unis based in London (and I counted Guildford/Surrey as I wanted to live closer to the City for work purposes) and asked my friend who studied at Royal Holloway to help me with advice for each university's reputation.

After visiting the three unis that all gave me offers (Goldsmiths, City and Birkbeck) I found that I really liked the atmosphere at Birckbeck and the fact that they do classes in the evenings and by distance learning. Of course they also have a very good reputation, they are part of University of London and are based in central London which sealed the deal for me. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bump this up.

I have just graduated from my UG Psych degree from Kent and am looking at OP degrees, have applied to City, Surrey and Goldsmiths and am looking at some other London Unis, I hold an offer from Birbeck.

As you were posting in 2011, you will have hopefully (!) finished you degrees and be working, I was just wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about how you found your respective unis, both in terms of course and the uni itself?

Also, what are you doing now? Was the degree worth it etc etc

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by sugar-plum-fairy
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bump this up.

I have just graduated from my UG Psych degree from Kent and am looking at OP degrees, have applied to City, Surrey and Goldsmiths and am looking at some other London Unis, I hold an offer from Birbeck.

As you were posting in 2011, you will have hopefully (!) finished you degrees and be working, I was just wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about how you found your respective unis, both in terms of course and the uni itself?

Also, what are you doing now? Was the degree worth it etc etc

Thank you! :smile:

Hi,
I would also be really interested in reading any thoughts/insights about each of the uni's and their repective OP courses!
Thanks
Original post by nstein
Hi,
I would also be really interested in reading any thoughts/insights about each of the uni's and their repective OP courses!
Thanks

Hi

Hopefully we will get a response soon!

Are you applying for sept 2013 entry or 14? If so, where have you/are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 15
Hi

Hopefully we will get a response soon!

Are you applying for sept 2013 entry or 14? If so, where have you/are you thinking of applying to?

I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad this September, so i'll be applying for 2014 entry :smile: And i'm not sure about where yet, my options are open, so that's why i'd love to have some input.
Original post by nstein
I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad this September, so i'll be applying for 2014 entry :smile: And i'm not sure about where yet, my options are open, so that's why i'd love to have some input.

Oh cool, well I have offers from Surrey, Goldsmiths and Birbeck and currently trying to decide where I want to go. Hopefully I will be able to provide more guidance once I am there :smile:
Oh cool, well I have offers from Surrey, Goldsmiths and Birbeck and currently trying to decide where I want to go. Hopefully I will be able to provide more guidance once I am there :smile:

Hi,
What questions did Surrey ask you in your interview?
Thanks
Reply 18
Hi,

It might be worth looking at the course structure as well, the modules they offer (Whether it's what you are expecting out of the course), the assessment methods (some unis are exams+coursework+dissertation). I am currently midway in Occupational Psychology at Nottingham University, when I had previously applied, I looked into Manchester, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston. But I really wanted to get into Nottingham University. Also, might be worth looking at the employability stats if you have some thoughts of staying after and getting a job. A friend of mine is currently under the same school as I am (in Nottingham, its classed under the medicine school) but she didn't do a degree in Psychology beforehand, so she is doing Work Psychology (which is like occupational psychology but without a background in psychology), she does most of the module I am doing with some differences, she has the option to do some management modules and HR modules.
Original post by dkfarah
Hi,

It might be worth looking at the course structure as well, the modules they offer (Whether it's what you are expecting out of the course), the assessment methods (some unis are exams+coursework+dissertation). I am currently midway in Occupational Psychology at Nottingham University, when I had previously applied, I looked into Manchester, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston. But I really wanted to get into Nottingham University. Also, might be worth looking at the employability stats if you have some thoughts of staying after and getting a job. A friend of mine is currently under the same school as I am (in Nottingham, its classed under the medicine school) but she didn't do a degree in Psychology beforehand, so she is doing Work Psychology (which is like occupational psychology but without a background in psychology), she does most of the module I am doing with some differences, she has the option to do some management modules and HR modules.

Hey,

I'm considering going to Nottingham Uni to study the Occ Psych Masters. How are you finding it? I'm struggling about where to go to as the course at some places are under their Business School whereas Nottingham is under the Medical School. I'm considering Aston and Sheffield too. Would you be able to tell me the positive and negative aspects of the course at Nottingham? Have you an idea of the graduate prospects too? Also, is there an opportunity to partner with an organisation to complete the dissertation module? Sorry for all the questions!

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending