Never Use AOL Watch

This discussion is closed.
wigman15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey!!

Within a few months of using AOL's unlimited £15.99 56K contract, I found out that they were charging me as the Pay As You Go rate which amounted to £76.00! Eventhough on my account it said that I was an unlimited subscriber, they had automatically switched me without my consent and wouldn't give me a refund. When I phoned them, they said it was my fault?!?! I was damn right p***** off! Everytime I rang them, they were having an argument with me without the slightest care. A few times, they even hung up on me. After sending them an official letter, they decided to compensate me for one month. I simply told them to go to their place!

Since then I have been using BT's broadband service which is much more reliable with an excellent customer service. I sincerely do not recommend AOL to anyone!!

AOL boast about their "excellent service" which is completely false. They are liars, thieves and simply do not care.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I fell for the old "free for a month but you have to actually cancel it" trick about 8 years ago, though it cost £300 back then.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't use AOL simply because they are micky mouse. They don't use TCP/IP they use their own protocol. This means its virtualy 100% incomptable with any standard equipment other than dialup modems which don't work at packet level.

This why AOL is only used at home because it simply dosn't work in a large networking environment. AOL to me is a complete joke aimed at people who know nothing about computing (no offence).

I am with BT simply because we got a discount (long story) but its great because I use it with a router and evey PC in the house has always on internet. You can't do this with AOL unless you run a proxy server which is not ideal.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wigman15)
Hey!!

Within a few months of using AOL's unlimited £15.99 56K contract, I found out that they were charging me as the Pay As You Go rate which amounted to £76.00! Eventhough on my account it said that I was an unlimited subscriber, they had automatically switched me without my consent and wouldn't give me a refund. When I phoned them, they said it was my fault?!?! I was damn right p***** off! Everytime I rang them, they were having an argument with me without the slightest care. A few times, they even hung up on me. After sending them an official letter, they decided to compensate me for one month. I simply told them to go to their place!
Funny my friend charlotte had a simmilar expierience
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aol is completely dodgy, i mean with a name like AMERICA online
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I fell for the old "free for a month but you have to actually cancel it" trick about 8 years ago, though it cost £300 back then.
But you can't cancel... you have to agree to a yearly contract.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have AOL but my daddy pays for it, though we didn't have it for a while because he answered one of those "We've lost your details" fraud things and had tonnes of stuff charged to our amex
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
But you can't cancel... you have to agree to a yearly contract.
Well you can call up and cancel, the contract says that either side can choose to terminate it. We didn't because my dad transferred its use to his business. But we now have BT Broadband. No problems at all so far.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ADSL or Cablemodem (the best) are even cheaper than that ...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well you can call up and cancel, the contract says that either side can choose to terminate it. We didn't because my dad transferred its use to his business. But we now have BT Broadband. No problems at all so far.
I'm on BT Broadband its great, I have 5 users sharing the connection via my NAT router. I never even need to dialup the connection is just there as soon as I start the PC.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
... AOL to me is a complete joke aimed at people who know nothing about computing (no offence)...
I remember reading something about the typical AOL user. Very funny.

ooh found it: http://www.lanet.lv/users/judrups/Humor/aol.html
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

This why AOL is only used at home because it simply dosn't work in a large networking environment. AOL to me is a complete joke aimed at people who know nothing about computing (no offence).
:eek: we used to have aol
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nowt like me!
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)

ROFL

So true.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)

Hehe thanks thats been the most funny thing I have read all day. Its so true!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i abused their "free month trial" offer for a few months but it is awful. evil internet browser and it is much more expensive than other ISP's. i dont know who they con people into getting it TBH
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's AOL, what do you expect!? I can't remember anyone not being paid ever saying AOL was a good service :rolleyes:
wigman15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hehe thanks thats been the most funny thing I have read all day. Its so true!
I totally agree!!!
FunkyTeenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
same here
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
aol is completely dodgy, i mean with a name like AMERICA online
take that back.....america is awesome!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (76)
44.97%
Pro-humanity (93)
55.03%

Watched Threads